First though - you fixed OpenGL for FF VIII! I wonder when you did that ... you set it so the freeze-up on the battle swoosh, and when changing screens, just get skipped - well done! There was an option in PEOpS to do that, I thought (disable battle swirl). I wonder if that's what you did. Anyway - well done!
Software HD: 2x and 4x: so amazing! FF VIII was something I always wanted to play. OpenGL was too broken, and software was just ... too painful to play after seeing the awesomeness of HD. Software HD (SHD) works amazing!
- 2x - runs full speed (and faster!), very rarely slower.
- screenfiltering can be turned on and off
- 20-30% faster with multicore (on my phone)
- Final Fantasy Tactics (FFT) - noticed flickering on some of the frames around character portraits and dialog boxes
- 4x run full speed most of the time, but (in FF VIII) slows to 30-40FPS on summons and other things.
- screenfiltering - ALWAYS on. Can't disable.
- 20-30% faster on multicore (on my phone)
- FFT - no flickering on boxes.
- I think I'll use 2x .... or OpenGL now that it works(on FF VIII)
- Software 4x looks better that Open GL I think, at least for my tests in FF VIII. I'm amazed.
- SHD - FFT - overworld map - broken. this was always a problem for video plugins.
- 'fast' video mode (this is 'old' software mode, right??)
- very fast with multi-core (huge increase in speed). But oddly choppy, and controls aren't properly responsive
- what does 'hardware acceleration' do? this was introduced for this mode right, for ICS? Should you use hardware acceleration with multi-core on or off? I remember we had a lot of talk about this when it came out
- screenfiltering - does NOT work with multicore. only works when 'force monocore' is enabled. super slow.
- 'smooth' video mode (this is 'blitter' right??)
- screenfiltering can be enabled or disabled
- 50+% increase with multicore
- OpenGL - as noted, you did some game specific fixes since last I checked. And I know you implemented anti-aliasing (which wasn't in the version Pete release). Very nice. Maybe you can update some of the descriptions of the options in the in-app FAQ / help file to be mre descriptive - like some of the descriptions I put on my OpenGL spreadsheet?
Is the Software HD entirely your creation, or is it a morph of the OpenGL?
In OpenGL, There were 4 main modes for OpenGL: emulated vram (software, supposed to be combined with 'full vram primitives via software'), black (disabled), GPU (hardware), GPU & software (hardware/software mix), and software. They were all 'opengl' but some relied more on hardware, some more on software. The 'software' one was the most compatible, but was hardest on the system. There was no "2x" or "4x" option that I remember in the original PEOpS though.
Again, well done!