Fpse for Android News

schtruck
Site Admin
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: WM 6.5.1 21869
ROM: 1.66

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby schtruck » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:55 am

@otakuloser, reset settings from MISC me nu, you won't have license check message after.

about Screen size, you need to go to Video menu, choose special screen size, go back just one time and then enter into MISC menu and choose 4/3 mode.

Shaders has nothing to do with Psx Screen size.. they all works wth any screen size.

@idiotekque, shaders like HD4X and FXAA enhance GFX highly, they interpolate smartly pixels to the resolution of your device. If your device has low resolution, you shouldn't see much difference but if you have at least a 720p screen, there is much differences.

Run a game in soft mode and unset Filtering, quit the game, now from COver menu, go to MISC menu and Shaders then put Normal Scaler, run the Game , and see. Now quit the game, and from shader menu put FXAA. start the game and compare. you still see nothing?

About OpenGL you say you see nothing??? emulation is much better, GFX are much sharper, on any device.

Idiotekque
Primary Device: Galaxy S3
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock 4.3

Postby Idiotekque » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:34 am

Okay, the "Screenfiltering" setting was making the shaders change nothing in soft mode. I can see the difference now, but things still look awful in soft mode. It's still totally pixely, the pixels are just smoothed. The effect isn't anything remotely close to a higher resolution like OpenGL gives. There's no way to increase the resolution in soft mode?

And I just tried everything on OpenGL again. Graphics still looks great. They did before I downloaded the beta. With shaders it'll look even better, BUT... the performance hasn't changed whatsoever for me. I'm playing the problem areas in Final Fantasy IX (the world map and battle scenes), and the emulator still HAS to skip frames in handfuls to make it run atfull sspeed. The result is horribly choppy, just like before. Literally 0% change in performance.

I thought the beta made it so that the emulator ran faster in OpenGL because it could now utilize multiple cores? There aren't any settings to make that happen? Because I feel like I should be seeing a change. Should I?

schtruck
Site Admin
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: WM 6.5.1 21869
ROM: 1.66

Postby schtruck » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:45 am

Shaders is one thing, High res Software renderer is another one. i'm working on High Res rendering, but still not ready to be release, need more works, but don't worry it will be available shortly.

I have pushed somes parameters to higher value on Shaders, and the Scaller HQ4X give far better result, i will add a tunning option for the best beta.

walangi
Primary Device: Lenovo k860, Galaxy Tab Plus
Operating System: ICS
ROM: Stock

Postby walangi » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:03 pm

calm down guys... I never seen a dedicated and enthusiastic developer as schtruck, so if you had any problems he must be working on it, square enix game as aforementioned on the older previous post is rather difficult to emulate on opengl

and for the feedback, the shader is very nice schtruk, here's my recap
FXAA = very nice, it's noticeable smoother, I wonder if you mix it with the future internal upscaling, what would it be :)
tv scanline = creatively very realistic, I love it :D some games feels better with that shader mode on
the spline = well as you said, it runs very slow and cause the device stuter,
the HQ4x = causing fpse crash upon loading rom on my device

The OpenGL noticeable have a better visual rendering and speed. Yes, glitches is still there (transparancy dropdown fps issue and Square Enix title) but it's improving and that's a good thing :)

Idiotekque

Postby Idiotekque » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:09 pm

schtruck wrote:Shaders is one thing, High res Software renderer is another one. i'm working on High Res rendering, but still not ready to be release, need more works, but don't worry it will be available shortly.

I have pushed somes parameters to higher value on Shaders, and the Scaller HQ4X give far better result, i will add a tunning option for the best beta.

Do you have any idea what's up with OpenGL for me? Are games like FF IX so hard for the emulator to play that there's no difference whatsoever in performance?

Hansfrax
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Sony Xperia Z1
Operating System: Android 4.3

Postby Hansfrax » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:39 am

I've been running FPSE on both my previous phone (Xperia S) and my current phone (Xperia Z1). I've had the Z1 for a couple of weeks now.
My problems with FPSE are sound lag. I had it with the Xperia S, no matter what I did with the settings, I would always have sound lag in all the games I would try. Crash 3, Kula World, Medievil, etc. Any music or action in the game would delay by about half a second. The graphics were always great, the framerates are perfect.

I thought it may be because the Xperia S was a bit underpowered for some games. I was kinda shocked to see it's exactly the same with the Z1 though. Huge amount of grunt with this phone, all games run perfectly fine, apart from the sound lag.

It seems no matter what I set the "Sound Latency Level" to, the delay remains the same. Crank it right up to a huge number, .5s delay. Crank it down, .5s delay. It's rather frustrating, as I can't seem to find many other users with the same problems.

Does anyone have any ideas or settings to try? Or is this just the way it will be and nothing can be done?

otakuloser
Primary Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
ROM: Stock - rooted

Postby otakuloser » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:33 pm

After some repetition I finally got the screen size to stick. Unfortunately the license verification fails no matter what I've tried. I reset settings, uninstalled and erased every trace of fpse from the system, then reinstalled, and I even tried fixing it by clearing the cache and dalvik cache. Nothing helps. I've never run into this problem before with fpse. Oh well, I'll wait and see what happens with the next update.

thefitz
Primary Device: OnePlus One A0001
Operating System: Android 5.0.2/CM12
ROM: This is for Android OS ROMs, not game ROMs.

Postby thefitz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:41 pm

I thought there was two "OpenGL" modes - OpenGL mode, and Smooth Software mode (which puts an OpenGL filter on Software mode). I was under the impression that the new shaders and multi-core stuff was for Smooth Software mode and only Smooth Software mode.

Idiotekque

Postby Idiotekque » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:52 pm

thefitz wrote:I thought there was two "OpenGL" modes - OpenGL mode, and Smooth Software mode (which puts an OpenGL filter on Software mode). I was under the impression that the new shaders and multi-core stuff was for Smooth Software mode and only Smooth Software mode.

I think that's right. I get pretty much perfect speeds on smooth software mode, but sadly the graphics are still extrememly pixely even with shaders. Like putting lipstick on a pig

Along the same lines, what are the difference between normal OpenGL and experimental OpenGL modes? I can't discern any difference between the two.

otakuloser
Primary Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
ROM: Stock - rooted

Postby otakuloser » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:16 am

Idiotekque wrote:
thefitz wrote:I thought there was two "OpenGL" modes - OpenGL mode, and Smooth Software mode (which puts an OpenGL filter on Software mode). I was under the impression that the new shaders and multi-core stuff was for Smooth Software mode and only Smooth Software mode.

I think that's right. I get pretty much perfect speeds on smooth software mode, but sadly the graphics are still extrememly pixely even with shaders. Like putting lipstick on a pig

Along the same lines, what are the difference between normal OpenGL and experimental OpenGL modes? I can't discern any difference between the two.

Yeah i get the same impression from using the software plugin shaders, like trying to polish a turd. :lol: Although, I suppose it's a nice feature to port over for people who can't get decent speeds with the opengl hi-def mode. I just wish it was possible to add shaders to the hi-def plugin, but i believe the regular ogl plugin is unable to support shaders because it's gl/es 1.x based. I think the experimental plugin is 2.x based though, so maybe sometime in the future.

Like i said above, I think the regular plugin is a much optimized port from the old pc emulation days of Pete's/P.E.Op.S. opengl plugin which is gl 1.x based. The experimental plugin might be based on the marginally newer gl/es 2.x specification; and probably written from scratch as Pete has never open-sourced his ogl2 plugin, but I could be completely off-base. Either way, I don't think Schtruck has been working as much on the experimental plugin as he has with the regular hi-def and software plugins, so it's probably not as optimized, but again, I could be wrong.

Return to “News”