Final Fantasy VII

If you have a problem with a particular game, post it in here.
trippy86
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Galaxy S3
Operating System: android
ROM: stock

Re: Final Fantasy VII

Postby trippy86 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:29 pm

i have been trying to get ff7 to work correctly on my Galaxy S3 (Stock rom) for the last few days.

if i use the open GL plugin with the suggested settings, first there are graphical issues at the booting screen and the PS logo vanishes.

if i dont use open GL everything is fine so im happy not using it

the sound is the problem thats bugging me, the ff7 menu sounds sound strange and some areas during the game, if anyone could give me any suggestions that would be so helpful

thanks guys

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4

Postby bluezeak » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:45 am

there are some issues with the galaxy s3 and opengl. I thought schtruck had fixed them, but maybe not. do you have the adreno 225 gpu or the mali-400, do you know?

As for sound - that's another known issue with FF7. not fixed. you can try to enable the new option for enhanced sound in the sound menu - must restart fpse for it to take effect. Id ont't hink it will make a difference though at this time. also, you do need spusync (also requrie restarting fpse).
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

sounggi
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Samsung Infuse
Operating System: Android
ROM: 2.3.6 Rooted Stock ROM

Postby sounggi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:18 pm

so after hours of playing around with opengl and settings on my Infuse, I have found some information that could be useful for some ppl. Since my phone only has single core at 1 GHz, this might be different to everyone. I had problem of not being able to see the movie on ff7, and enabling opengl actually made loading time longer and graphics were breaking.
so...
1. I was able to see the movie without opengl. all I did was load the game through ingame saved in memory card then load my saved state through fpse. I just have to do this at the beginning of the game, and then I can freely save/load on fpse states until I actually quit the app.
2. for me, using just the default option provided by fpse without opengl gave much better satisfying result with faster loading and not worrying about whether the white hand cursor would show or not. I had framelimiter, skipfix, screenfiltering, enhanced 3d rendering, hardware acceleration all checked for best graphic.
3. since I play ff7 like gameboy with portrait, having good graphic is not an issue. so I only use framelimiter and skipfix for lag free ff7 experience.
4. sound still lags but it has improved very much through updates

please share your best option settings for ff7

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:15 am

bluezeak wrote:FF7 OpenGL Review
(see my signature for a link to my main opengl post)

First, the settings I recommend:
    - offscreen drawing - required
    - alpha multipass - mostly required
    - advanced blending - optional
    - adjust framebuffer access - recommend on - see notes below.
    - mask bit - recommened off
    - 32-bits - recommended to use if having gfx issues (garbage / artifacts)

did you see my post above about opengl? these are the settings you should have and not have for opengl. I made that post to try to help people so they would not need to spend hours messing with the settings.

Many people have said that they have issues, but I don't know if anyone said they had issues with the opening move. One thing that is known to cause problems is the direct frambuffer access - this will make the movie play, but have nothing on screen (black).

People that have said they have issues with opengl can sometimes fix them with chainfire3d.
that requres root, and your device must be supported. see my opengl thread (see link in my signature).

if your hardware will not support the opengl plugin, FF7 will not work in opengl for you.

The software mode, or softGPU (the default mode of fpse) is much more compatible, and runs faster.

DO NOT RELY ON SAVE STATES!!!!!
even if you use them, be sure to save your game using the in game save points which save to memory card.

This game requires 'spusync' in sound menu. the 'enhanced sound' can help - though I didn't see much difference.

Sounggi - you must also have the 'force monocore' NOT checked. That's ok. But some people have had the game lock up or have very weird sound issues. checking this option can fix that, but will make game runs slower. You will propbably need to uncheck 'filtering' - this will increase game speed a lot and make game paly at max speed.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:56 pm

lifeisflimsy wrote:I finally got FF7 to work through FPSe (must have had a bad rom before), but now I drop to about 5 FPS during the little battle swirl thing, and when I'm IN battle, I can't see my menus (Attack, Limit Break, Items, Summon, etc). Any advice would be great and greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You must turn off frame skip in software mode. You must enable offscreen drawing in OpenGL. The fps does drop about that low in OpenGL sometimes, but sometimes it didn't drop at all. I think there are two different battle swirls, one gets bypassed and the other tries to get rendered but it doesn't work. It cross to 14-18 for me with frameskip on in OpenGL when our does that.

If you're having that problem in software mode, I'm not sure what to tell you. That doesn't make sense.

lifeisflimsy
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S3

Postby lifeisflimsy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:25 pm

Yeah I'm not using OpenGL and getting that problem. Should I be running it in OpenGL?

lifeisflimsy
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S3

Postby lifeisflimsy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:18 pm

Okay, so when I play in Software mode, it runs more smoothly, but I have a blue bar on the right side of my screen that I can't get rid of. it's very small and only taking up the right side/border of my screen in landscape mode, but it's really annoying.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:11 pm

OpenGL is much better gfx, but has compatibility and performance problems. See previous pages in this forum fit OpenGL settings.

I've never heard of that blue bar before. That sounds like something specific to your device. post a screenshot.

Chiiaki
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: HTC Evo 4g
Operating System: Android
ROM: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Postby Chiiaki » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:09 am

I'm trying to get my FF7 working properly. The game looks good, but the sound is something to be desired. It sounds like it is lagging a little, some of the notes are hesitating and then some of them are kind of mashed together to make up for the hesitation. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the music/sounds more stable? If I can't get the music fixed that will be the deal breaker. The music is most of the game for me.

My only other issue I have is when I enter battle I can almost hear my phone go "WHAT THE **** DO I DOOOOOOO?" as in everything freezes, the sound slows down to a crawl for 10-15 seconds and then the fight picks up and I'm still having the same sound lag/hesitation as I mentioned before.

*crossing fingers*
Diagnose me! :D

Chii.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:56 am

well, I have bad news and not as bad news.

The bad news is that the sound issue is a known issue. It is fairly recent as of the last coiuple versions. The developer knows and I believe he will be working on fixing it. I don't know how soon. People are talking about it a lot in the main feedback forum though, so I suspect sooner. It's sad really, because he's been doing a TON of work to make the sound better for all games - but it seems his work has messed up the sound on some specific games - specifically FF7, and also FF9. Peple said it worked back in 11.34, and have been asking if there's away to play older versions. no word on that yet.

The (maybe?) not as bad news is that it sounds like you're describing OpenGL. Are you using OpenGL or software. I must assume it's OpenGL. Did you see my posts on using OpenGL? If not, scroll back a page or two and read it. the battle scenes in FF7 with opengl are a bit odd. correct - no battle swirl. Correct - it lags sometimes when doing the battle. I think you've exagerated though - for me it's 4-6 seconds. Long enough to be annoying, but not so long that it's unplayable. But - it's only sometimes. Soemtimes it just loads the battle right up with no lag. I must use frameskip to play FF7. If you don't - then I recommend you do, specifically for the fight lag. It should make it bearable.

The alternative is to stop using opengl and use software rendering. It's pretty good, really. But - compared to opengl it ... it's poor. I'm spoiled with opengl. If I didn't know how good opengl was I could use software, but now I don't think I could go back. FF8 is different, it looks pretty terrible in software (in my opinion) and the different between it and opengl is even more dramatic. software rendering is muc mroe compatible, and faster, but looks worse. Sadly, the sound issues are there as well.

The sound issues should bre fixed soon hopefully. I know that right now schtruck is working hard on the new opengl ES version of fpse, and then I think he'll go back to the sound fix for FF7/9/others. we'll see.

Return to “Game-Specific Help”