OpenGL and FF8
please see my earlier post on page 12 in this thread. it explains a lot: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=435&start=110The settings needed:
- offscreen drawinghelpful settings
- 32bits (only if you have garbage on sides of screen - or if you want to test to see if it makes gfx better, which it doesn't for me)
- special framelimiterNOT TO USE
- alpha multipasstested with no noticable effect
- advanced blending (may work for you, usually causes bad over-contrast / too bright)
- special upload detectionuntested
- adjust framebuffer access
- mask bits
I encourage others to validate my settings and let me know what you find.
When pete was coding the OpenGL plugin he had a special fix designed for FF8 - but it was only for the opening video (and maybe the other videos?). He said this game did a weird thing where it fed a contant stream of frame updates for video and that crushed the plugin. He did a special fix for this game (and other games if they did the same thing) to fix the video / mdec. So, if you've noticed when using OpenGL, the opening in FF8 plays slow (for me around 30 fps). I always thought there was an issue, and there is, but it's specific to the video, and it may just be the opening video. The 'frame texture' option may fix it.
GAME SPECIFIC ISSUES
- battle swirl - as already noted several times the battle swirl in FF8 (using the openGL plugin) is badly bugged / broken. takes ~8-10 seconds for battle to start.
- too many character on screen / people moving onto screen - I've noticed the game slows down a lot when people come onto the screen, or if there's too many people on screen. this isn't always a problem.
- moving around - the games slows down a bit for me when I've moving and the camera has to move - if I'm in an area the camera doesn't have to move, it's no prolbem. This isn't always a problem.
- outside world - slows down when cmaera is 'behind' you, not too bad when 'above' you.
Overall, openGL seems to be usable if not great - Except the battle swirl issue, which makes using it unfeasible. It's really, really too bad, because FF8 is one of the only ones I haven't played (just the first couple hours). Now that I've played with OpenGL it's almost impossible to go back to SoftGPU. I've been ruined :p.
Again - see my earlier post where I compare the plugin on fpse with using it on my computer. the issue is really with the plugin and the game I think. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=435&start=110
Also, see my general opengl thread - see my signature for link.