FPSE and PC GPU's

shadowamd
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Samsung Note
Operating System: Android

FPSE and PC GPU's

Postby shadowamd » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:29 pm

I like the FPSE emu, and bought it thanks for getting out there ;).. whilst playing FF8 the only thing that I noticed was the graphics with the softGPU aren't very good and the openGL plug which looks fantastic but is buggy (With FF8 especially).

But this is not a thread for that game, the big difference I found with emulators was the choice of GPU plugins out there. I could always get a game running to about the right standard by choosing different plugs.. It seems to me there isn't that much difference between the PC (Like epsxe) and android version of FPSE.

http://www.emuxhaven.net/pluginpsx.shtml#videop

So what are the chances of expanding the plug set, like above.. Because I know for a fact (Been a while since I used it) that at least one of them works fantastic with some of the games the stock soft and Opengl doesn't?

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Re: FPSE and PC GPU's

Postby bluezeak » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:24 pm

back in the heyday of emulators, once the emus opened the door by making 'plugins' part of the emu, many people developed plugins for them.

The problem with the stuff done before is that it was made for windows, not for linux / android. If the code was available it might be able to be recompiled for linux / android. That's why Schtruck was able to use Pete's stuff - he turned both the software version and the opengl version of his great plugins into opensource - PEOpS.

So, if people start developing plugins for android/linux, or if the code for existing plugins was to be release and it was recompiled for linux/android, THEN we can have the possibilty of having more plugins.

Right now, schtruck doesn't have FPSE setup for us to use different plugins. He would need to make several changes to make that possible. I think the main one is the menu system he uses. it's not really designed for submenus, or for an actual 'menu'. it's just on on screen system. That's why many options are contortedly put in the 'misc' section - like the special screen setting. there's no submenus. I think regular / fullscreen menus would cause a problem with the emulator which is why he uses a pop-up menu system.

I checked that link you posted:
    - it's a bit out of date.
    - it lists peops softgpu twice?
    - it doesn't list the peops opengl
    - it lists linux plugins - I didn't know about those
    - My opengl post (see my signature) has a link for Pete Barnet (orginal creator of the peops plugins)

The linux plugins may work. Android is a fork of Linux (I believe), so while it uses the llinux kernal, much of the rest of it is different. As such, I don't know if those plugins will work. But - it would be great to try :). Specifically I'm thinking of the opengl2 plugin. Aside from linux vs android issues, the hardware on most devices is NOT opengl2 capable - it is OpenGL ES 2 capable. OpenGL ES is NOT the same as openGL. It's based on the same background, but supposts a subset. So, there are two different sets of possible problems there. And, the gl2 plugin is designed for good hardware. The hardware we have now is NOT high end by anymeans compared to pc gfx hardware ... but, it is MANY years after those plugins were developed, so ... may work :). Again - would be fun to try.
Last edited by bluezeak on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:40 pm

about FF8 - I've been meaning to post in that forum. yeah, it has some isssues ... go check out the games specific forum for ff8.

shadowamd
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Samsung Note
Operating System: Android

Postby shadowamd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:57 pm

bluezeak wrote:back in the heyday of emulators, once the emus opened the door by making 'plugins' part of the emu, many people developed plugins for them.

The problem with the stuff done before is that it was made for windows, not for linux / android. If the code was available it might be able to be recompiled for linux / android. That's why Schtruck was able to use Pete's stuff - he turned both the software version and the opengl version of his great plugins into opensource - PEOpS.

So, if people start developing plugins for android/linux, or if the code for existing plugins was to be release and it was recompiled for linux/android, THEN we can have the possibilty of having more plugins.

Right now, schtruck doesn't have FPSE setup for us to use different plugins. He would need to make several changes to make that possible. I think the main one is the menu system he uses. it's not really designed for submenus, or for an actual 'menu'. it's just on on screen system. That's why many options are contortedly put in the 'misc' section - like the special screen setting. there's no submenus. I think regular / fullscreen menus would cause a problem with the emulator which is why he uses a pop-up menu system.

I checked that link you posted:
    - it's a bit out of date.
    - it lists peops softgpu twice?
    - it doesn't list the peops opengl
    - it lists linux plugins - I didn't know about those
    - My opengl post (see my signature) has a link for Pete Barnet (orginal creator of the peops plugins)

The linux plugins may work. Android is a fork of Linux (I believe), so while it uses the llinux kernal, much of the rest of it is different. As such, I don't know if those plugins will work. But - it would be great to try :). Specifically I'm thinking of the opengl2 plugin. Aside from linux vs android issues, the hardware on most devices is NOT opengl2 capable - it is OpenGL ES 2 capable. OpenGL ES is NOT the same as openGL. It's based on the same background, but supposts a subset. So, there are two different sets of possible problems there. And, the gl2 plugin is designed for good hardware. The hardware we have now is NOT high end by anymeans compared to pc gfx hardware ... but, it is MANY years after those plugins were developed, so ... may work :). Again - would be fun to try.

I was part of the epsxe project, so I wouldn't mind having a crack it... It's just a matter of time really. There is nothing to stop you re-compiling the code, I would just need access to an open source version of FPSE.

It would be better if the project is open to dev.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Did FPSE need modded or do the polygons need modded?

Return to “General Discussion”