games not booting with Opengl plugin and mali400

kutteke
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Jxd s5110

games not booting with Opengl plugin and mali400

Postby kutteke » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 am

Hey guys, i've been using fpse on my jxd s5110 tablet (amlogic m3: cortex a9 1ghz + mali400) and i usually get around 38-45fps when i use software mode.

however upon updating to the latest version of fpse, i saw that there was a workaround implemented so the mali400 chipset could benifit from the use of Opengl.

So i installed the Opengl plugin trough the downloader and tried to boot a game on default settings. when i did this i got the white splash screen from sony but i only get to the part where the 2 orange pieces come together on the screen. the sony "text" stays absent and i return to the iso select screen.

i have tried numerous iso's wich worked in software mode, 15 different bios images. and i spent 3 hours checking and unchecking settings to see if i could get it running.

if anyone has an idea on how to fix this issue, please let me know.
Fpse is the only emulator that comes close to the real thing and i would love to play some oldskool psx games fullspeed (or near full speed) on my new tablet.

Many thanks in advance.

ps: would you guys recommend using an older version of fpse with opengl? if so, ill try that later today.

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Re: games not booting with Opengl plugin and mali400

Postby bluezeak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:10 am

From Schtruck's changelog:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2034&start=2834

schtruck wrote:FPse 0.11.29:
- Important Fix (workaround) for Samsung Galaxy SII, SIII and Note , and all other MALI400 devices with OpenGL plugin!
Now you'll have huge speed without any trick and without need to switch to interpreter!
- Attempt to fix the Xperia Play circle button problem

FPse 0.11.27:
- many fixes
- fixed Mali OpenGL filtering
- Fixed timing, smoother and far better tempo. emulation speed is perfect now.
- added shortcut to homescreen using internal Image or exteral PNG,GIF or JPG file, shortcut include configuration set before creating shortcut, like gpu plugin used, Bios or HLE and ISO loaded.shortcuts keep opengl video configuration too.
- Fixed eject problem encountered sometimes on change cd with multiple cd games
- added an option to reset configuration, will keep memcard content and savestate
- added possibility to load opengl plugin manually
- fixed garbage bands encountered on opengl and qualcomm cpu
- added New Dynamic interpreter option, It's slower than recompiler but make fpse running on mali400 and with opengl without tekken3 trick.... tested on GS II, GS Note and GS III , works very well...
- added possibility to load psx executable like demos... (press back at iso loader and choose load exe).

TRICK for MALI400 GPU! AKA Samsung Galaxy SII and Galaxy Note:
you have alway to start with Tekken3 in HLE mode and then reach the Characters selection menu after you can apply bios
and load any game then save or load to switch bios in MISC menu load a bios by choosing file Switch to HLE by pressing Back to the Bios loader everytime, restart to apply without quitting or you'll have to restart the procedure.

This port is experimental, know issue are compatibility problems with somes games, but many are really impressive.

Actually know problems with this plugin are:
- Crash problem with Mali400 gpu from SG2 (actually only Tekken3 is known to run well only without bios set)
- Small problem that can cause freeze on somes SGX540 gpu powered device when pressing home button.

There are other posts that detail the tekken 3 trick better, but I'm not sure where they are.

In 11.29 Schtruck thought he fixed the issue (or implemented some work around). In 11.28 he put in a new option that should make it work, but would make the emulator run slower.
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

kutteke
Fresh Fish

Postby kutteke » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:03 am

Thx for the tips guys, but unfortunately it still doesn't go past the first sony splash screen. same thing happens with different tekken 3 images. all the games work fine in software mode. but it's such a bummer i can't enable Opengl cause that's where te performance is... i hope Shtruck fixes this in the near future.

other ideas are still welcome

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:04 am

kutteke - schtruck has spent extensive time on it. he did 'fix' it. I think there would be more people complaining if this was a larger problem.

Not being able to get past the playstation bios screen sounds like it's an image issue - but you said it works fine in softgpu. the tekken 3 trick was the original way to get it to work .. I wonder if schtrucks last fix might have cause tekken 3 trick to not work ... I doubt it. did you try setting that setting in the system menu - dynamic interpreter?

Also, did you try a different openGL plugin? go to my link in my signagture for opengl, and go to the download for opengl. try that one - I think it might be older than the one you can downlod from the game itself. also - try redownloading from withing the game itself to make sure you ahve the most recent.
Last edited by bluezeak on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kutteke
Fresh Fish

Postby kutteke » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:35 am

Thanks will try that later today when i get home.
yes, the images work fine in softgpu. i have 14 images on my sdcard all tested with softgpu, but all of them give the same result even tekken3.
i"ve tried to enable the dynamic interpreter multiple times with all of the iso's.

i've always tried the opengl plugin that was downloaded trough my wifi connection in fpse, so i'll try the one from your sig tonight ;)

cheers and i'll keep you posted

Dan89
Primary Device: Sony Xperia U
Operating System: Android 2.3.7

Postby Dan89 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Did you fix your problem?

kutteke
Fresh Fish

Postby kutteke » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Affraid not. Ttried a previous version of the opengl plugin but with same result. Will keep on testing since i only had the time to try one. Will report back with results

Dan89
Primary Device: Sony Xperia U
Operating System: Android 2.3.7

Postby Dan89 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Ok, I resolved with the Tekken 3 trick...now games boot, even if they give some video/music problems

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:24 am

most 'video/music' problems come from low, or inconsistent, fps. turn on the fps from the video menu. if you see it jumping around, the problem is becuase your hardware (or the oipengl plugin) is having issues. Also, if you didn't already try it, turn on the 'spusync' in the sound options.

Hagane023
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Jxd s601
Operating System: Android

Postby Hagane023 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi, I am using a JXD S601 with the mali 400 and i am also having this issue. I cannot get any images to load with opengl on. The software mode is running well, but has an issue with savestates that i'm not to fussed on as i backed up memory card saves that were close enough. Works fine with Xperia s but i know that it has a different gpu. I can't seem to get the tekken 3 workaround working because as i mentioned nothing starts with opengl on. Maybe it is JXD device specific.

Return to “General Discussion”