All around poor performance with Galaxy S3?

dddaaannnhhh
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Galaxy S3

All around poor performance with Galaxy S3?

Postby dddaaannnhhh » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Hey everyone,

This app is amazingly amazing when working (which I assume is for most of you people) but I'm having a hard time getting it to run smoothly. The one game I've been able to play consistently is Persona 2: IS, which I've put 20 hours into with just some random glitches fixed by restarts and barely noticeable slowdown during battles. Final Fantasy 8 runs ok until I use a GF then it crashes about 80% of the time (plus sporadic fps dips into the 15 - 25 area). This is all with software rendering - Open GL gets me about 10 - 20 fps as soon as any form of 3D is displayed with any game.

Am I doing something wrong? Any way to update the Mali-400mp drivers or something? I bought the Galaxy S3 thinking it would be a powerhouse ultra mega emulator killing machine.

Oh, and also.. time for a Galaxy S3 subforum?

dddaaannnhhh
Fresh Fish

Re: All around poor performance with Galaxy S3?

Postby dddaaannnhhh » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:45 am

Ok, short update:

Managed to get past the "stinking knave..."-freeze in Valkyrie Profile by turning off the frame limiter (!). Weird thing is I get about 100 - 200 fps without the frame limiter and no hiccups whatsoever. The game runs way too fast, of course, but doesn't this mean that somethings wonky with the frame limiter on a Galaxy S3? Without frame limiter = overkill fps, with frame limiter = continuous dips into the 30 - 40 fps area.

Also, the three games I've put the most time into, FF8 and Valkyrie Profile now all go from perfect 60 fps to a gradual decrease in fps over a duration of say 15 - 20 minutes. After a while they all pan out at about 40ish, albeit unstable, fps. If I quit and restart I go from 40ish to rock solid 60 fps again in the same area in Valkyrie Profile and FF8. This is all in software mode. I guess I could stand the 40 fps if it was stable and thus didn't make the soundtrack go bananas along with it. (edit: turning Hardware Acc. off / on resets this for a short while).

I've fiddled around with every imaginable setting in Open GL and it's pretty much still unplayable no matter the game (Parasite Eve 1 / 2, FF Tactics, FF8 - known issue, Persona 2, Valkyrie Profile, Castlevania : SOTN). I don't care much for Open GL though, I just wanna play the games. If I got software mode to work correctly I'd be happy as a clam.

Is the developer reading on the forums by the way?

dddaaannnhhh
Fresh Fish

Postby dddaaannnhhh » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:09 pm

i900frenchaddict wrote:your gradual decrease in fps after some time of gaming sounds like a RAM problem, could you check your amount of free RAM when it happens, and the amount of RAM used by Fpse?

I came to the same conclusion after some messing around. Using the "Limit background processes"-function took care of the framerate issues. However, I now get the "need force mono core"-crash every 15 minutes or so if I leave it unchecked. FFVIII still stays at 60 fps with one core if screen filtering is off and I've gotten used to not having screen filtering so I'm good for now. Lots and lots of processor power wasted though.

Is there any optimization for the galaxy s3 planned?

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Postby bluezeak » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:14 pm

There are several threads about the S3, and the issue with the 'monocore' is one of them. I don't know if that's a S3 issue or a ICS issue, as some people said that issue is more related to ICS.

If OpenGL will work on FFVII I would highly recommend it, as it looks SO much better. See my signatrure for an OpenGL link, and check the game specific forum for info on using opengl with FFVII.

Ahh...your post is for FFVIII. blech - there's an issue with opengl and the battle swirl in ff8 which makes it not feasible to play with opengl.
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

Return to “General Discussion”