Final Fantasy IX

If you have a problem with a particular game, post it in here.
yooin14
Primary Device: galaxy s
Operating System: nothing

Re: Final Fantasy IX

Postby yooin14 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:35 pm

1) are you using the settings I recommended in my original post? I presume you are. Specifically,
offscreen drawing
alpha multipass
special fram limiter
(also frameskip)

2) what FPS are you getting with
- no frameskip
- with frameskip
- with old frameskip

I'm especially interested in what FPS you get with without frameskip.

3) How is sound quality (do you have spusync on? it needs to be on, and fpse needs to be reset for that change to take effect)

4) How is the quality of the game, aside from FPS?
- Is there any garbage (see previous posts)?
- Do the videos play ok (what is FPS)?
- What is quality of battles - there is one fight scene with the tantalus boss in very biginning if you can't get to other fight scenes.

1) Yes. All of em.
2) I get like 10 ~ 50 fps(with no frame skip). When there is no objects, it's very smooth. and when there is alot of objects or battles, I get like 10 FPS ~ 30 FPS. Very Stutter Images.
with frame skips on, i get 50 ~ 60 fps But Actual game images are very slow and stutter. very unplayable.
3) Sound is ok. I had spysync on. but when I get like 10 FPS, Sounds suffers also.
4) no garbage except first loading screen. I havent checked videos, Iam in disk3. I continued playing from galaxy 1.

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Postby bluezeak » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:28 am

Yooin14
10-30 is too broad a fps. When is it 10, when 30? Do you mean it's just slow like that during a battle or outside a battle also? If outside a battle - when? If inside a battle is it just during the initial part, during pecial effects, or the whole time?

Sadly, I don't know it there's anything we can do. It sounds like you have all the settings set right. Do you have boost mode on (system option) ? Turn it off. You have the 'special' frame limiter not the normal one on right?

I think the issue is a driver/compatibility issue. I believe schtruck has your hip set an well need to wait for him I think - or wait for Samsung / the community to release better drivers.

You didn't answer my question about what hardware you have (did you)? Check my post again.
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

funktron
Primary Device: Samsung Epic 4G
Operating System: Android 4.0.4
ROM: CM9 RC1

Postby funktron » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:45 am

OooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooK. :D

Time to revive this thread, but hopefully for just for this post, a quick reply from someone in the know - and we all go back to biz as usual!

I haven't seen anything about this bug I've got anywhere in this thread or in a gaggle of google searches with tons of combinations of keyword searches - so here goes...

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S (Sprint Epic 4G) running CM9 RC1 (Android 4.0.4), and using latest version of FPSE (though this issue has persisted across at least two updates)...

The only reason I didn't report earlier was that the bug wasn't a showstopper. But now that I want to fight me some Yans and max my stats, it is a showstopper.

What's happening:

*** On certain spell castings (and possibly only on Disc 3), the character will step forward, the spell name will appear - and then the character will just forever dance in place. It does not freeze the game. It doesn't crash the game. If other characters' ATB bars are still filling, it will allow me to pick their attacks - but then it just goes right back to waiting for the character who casted the spell to... actually cast the spell. I have waited for 10 minutes, and it just never engages.

It appears that the game is trying to call the animation and can't get it, and therefore just sits there waiting for it eternally.

It's not something that shows up often, thank god. The first place it became an issue was Mount Gulag - fighting wraiths there is impossible, as eventually they'll cast Devil's Candle and... boom. I'm restarting and reloading from a save.

Other times this happens:
Vivi - cannot cast Water anywhere
Toramas (can't remember spell though)
Yans - they cast float, I am doneski
Quina - can't cast Aqua Breath sometimes (but not always), can't ever cast Frost

Anyone have any ideas? Does HLE mode cause issues here? I have not had ANY issues with save states or save games on memory card with it enabled. Could this be a bad disc rip?

I am running software mode, and I have sound enabled - don't think I've touched really any other settings. Game runs like a champ excepting the issue of frame limitation in battles (but I'm used to and don't mind holding square button).

I've got a donut for anyone who can fix this. I wanna wax those YANS! :-D

barat
Primary Device: i8160 Ace 2
Operating System: 2.3.6
ROM: Stock

Postby barat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:16 am

funktron wrote:It appears that the game is trying to call the animation and can't get it, and therefore just sits there waiting for it eternally.

I can say, that there might be something with this clue ;)

Why?

ON FF7 on PSX there was a trick, where You casted Regen, then - after success - press "open" to make CD stop - everything stopped, but Regen was still working. After full HP regeneratiun just close case, and the game is resuming.
When You cast a skill (spell, summon) character is making step forward, calling the spell and that's it ...

I'm not sure if this was possible on FF8 or 9 (never checked - on FF7 i made it just because I was curious)

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:05 pm

funktron wrote:
Anyone have any ideas? Does HLE mode cause issues here? I have not had ANY issues with save states or save games on memory card with it enabled. Could this be a bad disc rip?

Ok, I don't know the solution but I have some ideas. first, about boss and hle - save states can't work without bios (is my understanding) so if you're using save states and no bios ... Something weird is going on. I say, use a bios. The flip side, if you are using a bios, try NOT using one.

Also, try changing disk when that happens. Maybe change then change back?

separately ... Try using OpenGL! ! If you have a 4g phone its likely strong enough to be able to use OpenGL. Once you do, it will be very hard to go back to softGPU. There are settings for OpenGL earlier in this thread.

drunkengrant
Primary Device: at&t galaxy s2
Operating System: android
ROM: ics 4.0.3

Postby drunkengrant » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi everyone. I have final fantasy 9 running right now with the software instead of the open Gl plugin. What is the current status of compatibility? I read that the mali400 had some compatibility issues with the plugin, is that still the case? I had it running for a bit but it was fairly slow and ended up crashing.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:50 pm

See my post about openGL (see my signature for a link).
Specifically see the section on hardware, and check your device. If you know you have a mali gpu you may not need to though...
Also, see the link to the fpse release notes. Read through them - probably back from 11.24 through 11.29.

Schrtuck has done tons of work to get mali to work. It should work fine.

I've heard of a few people with issues with the mali currently though. But, I believe they were stability / functionality issues not performance issues. If it's working poorly for you (aside from crashing) something may be up with your device. A couple posts back bongobong wrote about how FF9 performs - I get that same exact performace without overclock, but I do need to use frameskip for some things (like out in the mist, battle opening). I have a motorolo driod bionic with dual core, 1 ghz proc, 1gb mem, powervr sgx540 gpu (running @ 300mhz - differnt sgx540s from different companies run @ different speeds).

So - you can try
    - doing nothing special, and it should work if using 11.29
    - turn on the system option, dynamic interpreter. should work, will make things run slower
    - use the original work around with tekken 3 - see the bottom of the release notes for more info on that

define 'very slow' - what were your fps? on what part of the game?
define 'crash' - crashed how? when/where?

undeadstreamer1
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Galaxy S 2
Operating System: 4.0.4
ROM: AOKP

Postby undeadstreamer1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:22 pm

Can anyone help me? Ive searched this forum and google and found nothing. Im running version 11.29 and im trying to play Final Fantasy 9 NTSC. I run the game and I get to the Square Enix logo but after that I get nothing, just plain black screen. Ive got a bios loaded and all settings otherwise are default. Any ideas?

EDIT: I fixed it. It was a bad copy. Tried running the same file using EPSXE and it did the same thing. Fresh copy works fine now :)
Last edited by undeadstreamer1 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drunkengrant

Postby drunkengrant » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:27 pm

bluezeak wrote:See my post about openGL (see my signature for a link).
Specifically see the section on hardware, and check your device. If you know you have a mali gpu you may not need to though...
Also, see the link to the fpse release notes. Read through them - probably back from 11.24 through 11.29.

Schrtuck has done tons of work to get mali to work. It should work fine.

I've heard of a few people with issues with the mali currently though. But, I believe they were stability / functionality issues not performance issues. If it's working poorly for you (aside from crashing) something may be up with your device. A couple posts back bongobong wrote about how FF9 performs - I get that same exact performace without overclock, but I do need to use frameskip for some things (like out in the mist, battle opening). I have a motorolo driod bionic with dual core, 1 ghz proc, 1gb mem, powervr sgx540 gpu (running @ 300mhz - differnt sgx540s from different companies run @ different speeds).

So - you can try
    - doing nothing special, and it should work if using 11.29
    - turn on the system option, dynamic interpreter. should work, will make things run slower
    - use the original work around with tekken 3 - see the bottom of the release notes for more info on that

define 'very slow' - what were your fps? on what part of the game?
define 'crash' - crashed how? when/where?

Actually, it's running fine now by using your settings. I think I was having problems getting the bios to sick. Runs great now on the plugin.

drunkengrant

Postby drunkengrant » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:29 pm

I think I was mostly paranoid since I had read somewhere of difficulties.

Return to “Game-Specific Help”