View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Issues with Transformer Prime and Fpse 0.11.29 
Fresh Fish

Primary Device: Asus Transformer Prime
Post Issues with Transformer Prime and Fpse 0.11.29
Hello!

I just downloaded the latest version of Fpse on my Asus Transformer Prime (with ICS), and I tried some games, that all worked.
But I have another kind of issue: when I try to run it with the OpenGl plugin (directly downloaded from the app), I cannot use the "Anti-Aliasing" option, nor the "32bits filtering" one. If I check them and run a game, they uncheck themselves automaticaly. So, using the OpenGl plugin, games are very pixelated.

If I try the software plugin, I can apply the graphic filtering on the games, and it looks very nice. But I have another glitch: every 10 seconds, I have some kind of glittering on the bottom side of the screen, very annoying.

I found that really weird as the OpenGl plugin is supposed to make the games look better.... In my case, it's the other way around.

Beside that, the emulation was very good for the 3 games I tried: FF9, Legend of Mana and Tales of Phantasia.

For now I got my money back from google store, but I hope you'll manage to fix that, so I can buy it again.

EDIT: After reading some other topics about OpenGL, and trying again myself, I realised that the OpenGl plugin works, and make a big difference, but only on 3D games. And the games I tried are mostly 2D.... My mistake!

But it doesn't solve the "Anti-Aliasing" checking issue, nor the glittering in softmode.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:25 pm
Guru

Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock
Post Re: Issues with Transformer Prime and Fpse 0.11.29
I was having this problem also, and I don't know what I did (if anything to fix it). For those options you must close out of FPSE entirely and then reopen FPSE for them to work. But I know for myself that didn't work. Maybe a reboot of my phone fixed it - I don't know. It works for me now though - after I close out totally and reopen FPSE.

See my post on OpenGL. I updated it to add this bit:

- when changing some settings in the video menu, you must close FPSE completely and reload it. These are 32-bits, anti-aliasing, mask-bits.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:31 am
Fresh Fish

I tried to close totally then reboot fpse, but it didn't help, they still get unchecked.
I'll try to reboot my tablet during the process. Maybe that's something working better on phones than on tablets...

Does the anti-aliasing option really do something for 2D parts, or texts? If there's not much of a difference, maybe it doesn't deserve to fight so much :p

What's really bothering me is that glittering in softmode, because I really think softmode is better for 2D games, and that's what I play the most. Maybe it as something to do with an option I should check or uncheck.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:04 am
Guru

I suspect anti-aliasing is more for 3d - but it applies filtering to the entire screen, so it will affect the 2d items as well. The 3d stuff really shouldn't need too much filtering, so it may actually show more of a difference with the 2d stuff. I haven't used it much, as the few games I've played with OpenGL play around 42 FPS, 57 FPS with frameskip - I don't use it because it slows it down more. But, I've only played a few games (very long games, like Final Fantasy IX).

The glittering is not something I know about. The options you can try are: 1) Enhanced 3d rendering, 2) invert colors, 3) brightness boost (give this a try), 4) special screen size (after choosing this go into the misc. menu and choose special screen size). The special screen size will verify if the issue is screen related or not.

Let me know if rebooting allows FPSE changes to stick, because I was having that problem and actually posted about it I think, though no one answered. Since it started working again I know it was an issue with just my phone and not FPSE. It thought going to a new version fixed it - it may have .... wait ... I think I remember reading that someone else was having that problem and it was fixed by uninstalling fpse then reinstalling it ... his issue was that he couldn't get the bios to stay loaded, so it was a bit of a different issues, but you can try that.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:47 pm
Fresh Fish

So, I tried to reboot my tablet after installing OpenGL plugin and checking the Anti-Aliasing, but it did not work, it was style unchecking itself all the time.
BUT, after switching to softmode, then switching back to OpenGL (by re-downloading the plugin), the Anti-aliasing option was checked! But I must say, I didn't see much of a difference.

Then I tried every option in softmode, and I also tried to change the resolution to 4/3 with the "special screen resolution" enabled, but I couldn't fix the glittering. At some point I though I did, because it stopped glittering for a longer time than usual, but it came back. And the "Brightness bosst" was also uncheking itself.

For the record, if I'm not wrong, I was trying with the 0.11.26, not the latest. But it was the same with the 0.11.28 and 0.11.29.

Maybe there's just some enhancement to do with the Prime... Overall, it's a great app, I'd really like to fully enjoy it :)
For now, I'll stick to my PSP to play PSone (or to my PSone, when I can ^^)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:50 pm
Guru

Small-trench - could you please post a screen shot of the 'glitter'? And, did you test on multiple games?

The app I use for screenshots is called "screenshot it" but there are others available.

How did the OpenGL plugin work for you? You said it makes games look worse - what games look worse? And I agree, Anti-Aliasing doesn't seem to do alot for me, though I suspect it depends on the game (the type of graphics it uses). Anti-Aliasing wasn't actaully a part of the original PEOpS OpenGL plugin, so I don't know how Schtruck enabled it (it was there long ago but there were issues so it was removed). 32-bits is supposed to make colors better (I think) which could make games look a lot better, but I haven't seen too much of a difference (again, I suspect it depends on the game). The commonly needed items are offscreen drawing (but it just shows extra things, it shounldn't make much of a difference), alpha multipass (often needed for menu's / text and items that have tranparency), and advanced blending (this one can make a difference, sometimes much better, sometimes much worse). Most of the rest of the options I didn't mention are special fixes.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:36 pm
Guru

also - was the glitter only an issue in the software mode, or did you see it in OpenGL as well?

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:54 pm
Fresh Fish

I will try to make a screen of the glitter, but I'm not sure it'll work, it's very very fast. (less than a second I think)
And yes, it only appears in softmode, never in OpenGL mode.

Just so you know, the first version I tried was the 0.11, and at this time, they were not openGL options available, only the softmode. I was not having any glittering at this time, but I couldn't apply the screen filtering. In fact, checked or unchecked, it was making no differences at all. Now, I can have a very smooth filtering in softmode, perfect for 2D games, but with a weird glittering.

When I was saying that OpenGL makes the games look worse, I was only speaking about 2D games. For the 3D games, it's way better. I haven't tried any full 3D games such as Spyro or Crash Bandicoot, but I'm sure it looks really nice.
But the only games I tried are FF9 (which contains a lot of 2D parts), Legend of Mana (which is full 2D) and Tales of Phantasia (full 2D too, except for the world map). So for a game like Legend of mana, the OpenGL plugin is useless, as I don't get any filtering: the result is a very pixelated game. The softmode with the screen filtering enabled is a much better option.

Maybe on 4" phone screen it could work quite good in OpenGL too, but on a 10" tablet screen, you really notice a big difference.

I used to play a lot with Epsx and the Pete's OpenGl graphics some years ago. I remember that you could really enhance the graphics, even the 2D parts, and get a perfectly smooth game, even with an average computer. They were tons of options, it was sometimes hard to understand what they would do, but it was a nice job! :)

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]