Fpse for Android News

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby bluezeak » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:51 am

For those interested in FF9 and OpenGL, I've created the following post that talks about issues with FF9 and best setup for OpenGL.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=433&p=28320#p28320

FF9 looks fantastic in OpenGL (IMHO).
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:24 am

(possible) Bug Report

(I don't know if there's a different / better place to report a bug - if so let me know / move this post)

iControlPad doesn't work when using OpenGL plugin.

Can anyone else confirm?

At least, mine doesn't work. It works with the softGPU, but not OpenGL. I've tired it several times, with different games. I've tried with an older copy of th OpenGL, the current one that I downloaded to my phone from the website, and the one that you can download from in FPSE directly. FPSE will scan for my iControlPad, will detect it, and I even get the 'device connected' - but it doesn't work. When I use the softGPU, it works.

I also tired configuring the iControlPad with BlueZ IME, but for some reason I can't get FPSE to recognize the iControlPad (iCP) when I go to do the hardware buttons setup. I know the iCP works as if I go to a text file I can use the buttons to do input. But in FPSE it doesn't won't recognize the buttons. I suspect the BlueZ IME / hardware button assignment is a different issue, and it may be something odd about my phone. But, I know that the my phone works with FPSE and iControlPad when using the gamepad 'bluetooth' option and using the softGPU. Spent 80 hours or so in Final Fantasy tactics a couple months ago. And it still works now. But not when I use OpenGL.

Xandrex
Primary Device: Hp Touchpad
Operating System: Android
ROM: Cyanogenmod 9 nightly

Postby Xandrex » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:52 am

bluezeak wrote:For those interested in FF9 and OpenGL, I've created the following post that talks about issues with FF9 and best setup for OpenGL.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=433&p=28320#p28320

FF9 looks fantastic in OpenGL (IMHO).

Very detailed post, thanks for that. I'm interested to know what the performance is on your device. Because even with everything you propose, the OpenGL performance on my OC'd Galaxy Nexus is still crap. Maybe I'll try to see if Chainfire3D makes any difference. It's a shame that we can't get this solved, because a lot of people want to play FF9 and a lot of people have a nexus.

Oh well, back to finally released FFIII on android, which does run ultra smooth :-)

Xan

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:31 pm

I'll try to keep the FF9 talk in my forum post so go check there for more info. I will say here that it runs decent to good, with frameskip its 57-60 FPS and some stuttering when battles are drawn. My moto driod bionic's resolution is 540 x 960.

As for OpenGL vs softFPU - it makes a HUGE difference ... in some games. In others (that are more 2d), not as much - though it's always better (as long as it doesn't mess things up and is playably fast). in Street Fighter 2 the OpenGL was so slow it wasn't usable - but while it did render the graphics noticeably differently, I don't know that it was noticably better. In the FF games, the backgrounds don't get much change, but the characters themselves get fully rerendered. They go from being blurry or blocky & indistinct to full, sharp clarity. To me, it's amazing. About the softGPU screen filtering - I believe that's not really filtering but is smoothing. It does make things look quite a bit better - but really only because it takes the blocky look and makes it less blocky. Makes it softer. I like it. But, the graphics are still ... poor - compared to the OpenGL they're actually hard to watch. I really want to play FF8, and started playing it in softGPU since OpenGL breaks the fight scenes. But after seeing and playing in OpenGL it's so hard to go back to te SoftGPU. I've never played through FF8 and have always wanted to, and have played FF9 4 or 5 times. But I find I'd rather play FF9 (which I love) than go to the softGPU of FF8. The screen smoothing of the softGPU takes crazy CPU power, and is pretty unfeasible without a dual core or frameskip. And you can't frameskip on the FF games. And the dual core causes my phone to stutter like frameskip and the buttons to not work at times (like the whole emulator is skipping, e.g. the FPS in the upper left blinks).

As for screen resolution - that's a great point. We want the higher resolution, but the GPUs have to pay a high price to render to them. I don't know that I've heard of changing the resolution of the screen, I wonder if it's possible with the current android tools. You can draw to a smaller part of the screen, and that makes a big difference (landscape vs portrait, or enabling the 'small screen' option). Like I said above, my resolution is 540 x 960.

If anyone has any comments on using OpenGL, please post your thoughts on my OpenGL thread. I would like to update my original post and my Google Docs spreadsheet so have a place we can go to actually understand what the options do and can get a clue as to when / why to use them.

hayao
Primary Device: SGS II

Postby hayao » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:58 pm

I have a suggestion to make. Don't know if it's possible! Is there any possibility to use TV-Scanlines like in epsxe? Wouldn't it automatically look better? Tell me your opinions!

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:30 am

Why would it look better? They emulate old low resolution tvs. I don't think they make the gpu emulation easier. They're kinda interesting, but that's all in my opinion. Would have to see it on a small smart phone screen.

hayao
Primary Device: SGS II

Postby hayao » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:44 pm

@bluezeak

TV-Scanlines are oldschool :-) Everyone played PsOne games on old TV's and I liked that resolution back then much more then now with the useless opengl plugin. They still kinda render the game. Maybe it's no big difference for you but I prefer playing my games with the original resolution ;-)

@schtruck

Is there any way to integrate TV-Scanlines?

drgci
Primary Device: htc sensation
Operating System: android
ROM: cooked

Postby drgci » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:11 pm

I am running fpse on HP touchpad with qualcomm s3 dual core CPU and adreno 220 gpu
With default clock speed 1.2ghz on final fantasy 9 with opengl plugin I got it in the begining around 20fps,
Overcocking CPU at 1782mhz and I got 10-12 more fps! Great
Developer can you write code on gpu for emulation?

LeSScro
Primary Device: OneX
ROM: maXimus

Postby LeSScro » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:04 pm

An Icon Collection project for Android Device is up today...
If you are interested to provide a good quality Icon for your Android Fav' device...

here it is > I love LeSScro, please make me a ICON !!

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:03 am

drgci wrote:I am running fpse on HP touchpad with qualcomm s3 dual core CPU and adreno 220 gpu
With default clock speed 1.2ghz on final fantasy 9 with opengl plugin I got it in the begining around 20fps,
Overcocking CPU at 1782mhz and I got 10-12 more fps! Great
Developer can you write code on gpu for emulation?

drgci, feel free to post on the FF9 game specific thread - here.

I don't have any issue with the beginning. Please check the settings I use, and respond in that forum. Your CPU is stronger than mine and the adreno 220 is a good GPU I believe. You shouldn't have any issues I don't think. I know there was a special fix for FFVIII (and maybe FFVII?) that specifically dealt witht the opening videos (including stuff before the game actually started). I was surporised that my laptop had issues with the opening if FFVIII and as soon as I turned on the fix, bam 60 FPS. That's not FFIX though.
Last edited by bluezeak on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News”