How to share memory card between PC emulator and FPSE

jonnyapps
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Xperia Play

How to share memory card between PC emulator and FPSE

Postby jonnyapps » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:05 am

I had spent a long time googling for a solution that would allow me to easily play my PS1 game on my PC emulator and then switch to the mobile when I left the house and continue exactly where I left off.

I saw a few people asking about it but the only solutions I saw seemed cumbersome and involved file name conversions etc.

Here's what I did:

• Install SAMBA Filesharing from Marketplace on your Play and make sure it is active
  • Map your SD card to your PC as a network drive (you can just type \\Android into explorer)
  • Using your PC open the newly mapped Android SD card and create a text file wherever you want the memory card to be
  • Rename it to MSD001.MCD (selecting 'all files' in the save as process so it becomes an MCD file, not a TXT)
  • Configure PCSX to use that memory card file (Configuration > Memory Cards... > Select Mcd)
  • Launch a new game and get to a position where you can save it (I used FFVIII)
  • Load up FPSE on your Android
  • Under 'Settings > MISC > Select memcard 1' point it to the memory card file you created
  • Launch your game and get to a point where you can load a game then select memory card 1
  • Hopefully your game should then load the exact same save that you created on your PC.

I've tested it using FFVIII only but it worked both ways, which is to say a save from FPSE opened in PCSX and the save from PCSX opened on the FPSE.

An even better way of doing this, for true portability, would be if you could set your Dropbox folder as the home of the memory card but I believe the Dropbox heirarchy is not (any longer) navigable on Android. If I'm wrong please let me know.

I will look into the possibility of doing this with savestates but am assuming it's more complicated.

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Re: How to share memory card between PC emulator and FPSE

Postby bluezeak » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:30 am

This is a good method, but the only samba file sharing that I've seen requires rooting your phone. What software do you use?

To be specific - if you want to share files from your android to your computer, so that your computer can broswe your phone, you need samaba file sharing on your phone. And, the only software I've seen to do that requires root. If you go the other way around and want to browse file shares on your computer from your phone, that's much easier (and doesn't require root).

I believe save states are emulator specific. I think a few emulators can share save states, but I could be wrong. I don't know of any emulators that use FPSE's savestates - but I've only used ePSXe recently (in the last 5 years).
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

Return to “General Discussion”