I´m a newbie - in need of guidance!

silmes
Primary Device: Xperia Play
Operating System: 2.3.4
ROM: Stock rom

I´m a newbie - in need of guidance!

Postby silmes » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi!

I have been playing a lot of emulators on PC during the years. But is right now thinking of buying an Xperia Play, because I understand that it´s quite a nice phone.

I would however like some input for some questions, and would be thankful if someone would take their time to answer them for me.

1. My main focus with the phone will be playing emulator-games. Is there a better option than the Xperia Play when it comes to this?

2. I have problems finding a reliable compatibility list. Three of the games that I really itch to play are "Alundra", "Final Fantasy Tactics" and "Legend of Mana". Can someone please enlighten me how these games will run on a Xperia Play?

3. A little bit off-topic. But I also have a question about other emulators. Will SNES & Genesis-emulators run lag-free on an Xperia Play?

Thank you for reading (and maybe answering) ;).

Samlock
Primary Device: Xperia PLAY
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock 2.3.4

Re: I´m a newbie - in need of guidance!

Postby Samlock » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:31 pm

I'll do my best to answer your questions here, as my interests were very similar when I decided to purchase my PLAY!

1/ Personally, I don't think so. It's the only phone which has the slide-out game pad, and especially the touchpads. There is a N64 emulator (allowed to name it here?) which supports the touchpads, and I believe FPSe may be getting touch pad support when ICS is released officially (correct me if I'm wrong, not trying to spread false information here!)

2/ There are a fair few different compatibility lists around the internet, and to be honest from my experience I've often had more luck running some games than I expected!
The most reliable list I usually check on is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1034472
I've not tried any of the games you've listed yet, but I'm more than happy to try them and report back if you want :)

3/ I've got various emulators installed on my PLAY now including GBA, SNES and Genesis and I can't say I've had any issues at all with them.

Overall, I'd say the PLAY is a fantastic choice if your main focus is gaming and, more specifically, emulation :)

3/

silmes

Postby silmes » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Amazing. Thank you very much for a fast answer!

It seems at least "Alundra" has a green light in that list. I would be very thankful if you took your time to look up how "Legend of Mana" and "FFT" seems to run.

Yeah, I´m really thinking that I might order one of those phones. Seems very nice as my 2 year old HTC Wildfire is not really up to the task for anything anymore (if it ever has...it´s one of those mobile phones that I regret buying).

Thank you again.
It seems like the Xplay is something for me, as I am really into emulation and playing the old games from my consoles that are packed down in the storage room right now.

EDIT: FOUND ANOTHER COMPATIBILITY LIST HERE http://xplayfpse.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page#Legend
SEEMS LIKE TACTICS IS EMULATED PERFECT TOO

Samlock

Postby Samlock » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:33 pm

You're very welcome - FFT and Legend of Mana are both games I'm intending to play after FF VII, so I'll get 'em lined up now!

Wildfire.. Hmm... My mate had one for a few months on contract, ended up packing it in and going for an iPhone! It would be a great little phone if only the resolution wasn't so shockingly low :o

That compat list looks promising, I'd say you'll be fine with the games you're wanting to play. If some games have issues, post here as no doubt somebody will have a fix for it! Tomb Raider II was one I was having no end of issues with, eventually found a .cue file fix, and it's running perfectly now!

Should be running LoM soon, I'll post a video once I've got it running :)

.:EDIT:.

Ok, maybe scrap the video idea... I can't find my camera OR my mini tripod... Dammit! PlayStation Eye... *ponders*...

silmes

Postby silmes » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:46 pm

Thanks for taking your time to see how it runs.

I´m very close to order a Xplay now, but will have to wait until pay-day next week, and then I´ll give it a go. I have all those cool RPG´s for GBA that I also want to play (golden sun & minish cap for example). But most of all, the above mentioned PSX games. =)

So, you´re playing FFVII? One of my all-time favourite games right there, and the game that made me a PSX-player. How well does it run on the XPlay? Is it "perfect" emulated? I´ve seen people around getting problems here and there, but those might be old posts...maybe the game runs better nowadays?

Cheers!

Samlock

Postby Samlock » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:32 am

Just as I got LoM last night, my phone line cuts out and I lose all connectivity.. What fun. To add to the joys, late to work due to road works and end up hitting the back of a surveyor trailer. Even more fun!

I'll try out LoM as soon as I can for you, but FF VII runs pretty smoothly for me. The only slowdown I've found is when going into a battle, but once the camera settles it's smooth again. About 3 hours in at the moment so can't comment on the whole game but it's great so far!

silmes

Postby silmes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:54 am

Sorry to hear about what seemed to be a bad day. =/

No problem, chime in whenever you feel up for it.
My biggest issue right now is getting the money and finding enough good reasons to buy an Xperia Play, as a university student, there´s always gaps to fill.

Samlock

Postby Samlock » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:05 pm

I can give you five good reasons right now:

1/ FPSe (numerous extra reasons here too)

2/ Dead Space

3/ Shadowgun

4/ Snes/N64/Genesis Emulators

5/ Minecraft

It's a fantastic phone. May I ask where in the world you are?

silmes

Postby silmes » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:54 pm

I decided to go for an Xperia Play.

There was a pretty good price on the phone after all (230£ if you convert it). It´s clean and not locked to any specific operator and I am using a pay-as-you-go-card. They´re probably making room in their stock for the new phones coming this spring.

It will probably arrive in the mail tomorrow, surely looking forward to it!

Return to “General Discussion”