Fpse for Android News

Ti3noU
Primary Device: HD2 1.3GHz /GT- i9000 1.54GHz
ROM: CM7.2 / Android 2.3.7 - CM9 / Android 4.0.3

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby Ti3noU » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:37 pm

Can't talk about the droid 3, but I can speak for the Galaxy S (1), as I'm a kernel developer for this phone (it should apply to the Nexus S as well). I'm only talking about the S-AMOLED equipped models.

Slowdowns are linked to how the screen refresh rate works (and not directly to the GPU drivers). The screen is capped at 60 Hz (resulting in ~56FPS). It can be pushed to a maximum of 68Hz by kernel modifications (resulting in ~65FPS). The problem is that the Vsync will limit the rendered FPS at some "steps".

If you can't maintain the maximum FPS the screen can display it'll lock to a lower step, generally observed is half the refresh rate, so ~28 FPS @ 56Hz.

Obviously, moving from 56 to 28 FPS will result in a big slowdown.

All this is still a bit dark for me (and others SGS developers), as some apps are sometime able to trigger some other steps, like 46, 41, and 32 FPS. It could very well be a framerate reading error though (for example if it's switching consistently and the output is an average). We are all okay with the fact that it comes from the screen. It's partially proven by these "steps" changing when the screen is uncapped to 65FPS instead of 56.

Hope it helps/clear confusion about the slowdowns on the Galaxy S/Nexus S (S-AMOLED).

molitar
Enthusiast
Primary Device: Sprint SG3 (Adreno 225)
Operating System: Android 4.0.4
ROM: FreeGS3 v0.1.0

Postby molitar » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Got a Transformer Prime and the performance isn't much above my cell phone.. which is an EVO 3D.. Sound is a bit better. Also video when opening.

Now will we get analog support for our Phonejoy's? Right now it's all hardware mapping so no analog support. The video also tends to flicker when opening up menus with the Opengl Plugin.. hope we see an updated plugin soon as well as a new version of FPSE as the 0.11.14 crashes too much.

Uminion
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: HTC Incredible S
Operating System: Android 2.2

Postby Uminion » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:11 am

HTC Incredible S, Android 2.2, 0.11.4, screenfiltering don't work. Fastdraw is enable. 0.10 worked correctly.

sebasss
Primary Device: xperia arc
Operating System: android
ROM: stock

Postby sebasss » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:28 am

in software mode playing digimon world 2 the battles stop refreshing the screen if any of the frameskips is enbale, can you do something sthruck?

gamerguy80
Primary Device: Google Nexus 5
Operating System: Android KitKat 4.4.4
ROM: Stock

Postby gamerguy80 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:43 pm

in software mode when playing breath of fire 3 and using a heal item or heal spell some characters disappear and the whole background and menus go black. I checked the game specific thread and this issue still has not been resolved. could you look into this schtruck. please and thank you.

molitar
Enthusiast
Primary Device: Sprint SG3 (Adreno 225)
ROM: FreeGS3 v0.1.0

Postby molitar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:14 pm

Can not continue with Chrono Cross.. The game when I try to change to status screen goes totally black and pretty much locks up. This happens even in bios mode only. Any ideas to fix this?

schtruck
Site Admin
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: WM 6.5.1 21869
ROM: 1.66

Postby schtruck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:50 pm

i'm back,

I've updated my dev machine with last Google SDK. i have compiled FPse with last Android library, that will let me adding interresting stuff that are available in Honneycomb and ICS.

I have started to add a new option for software mode to Force Hardware acceleration on ICS. that should give boost on ICS Tablets and phones.

now i'm adding Native PAD support available on ICS, that should make Xperia play Analog Pad working (when official ICS rom will be released) and should support natively Analog stick on USB And BT pads.

To my surprise i have updated my old HD2 with ICS , it's very stable and Fast and GPU acceleration works. to my surprise FPse work very well, and in OpenGL mode with Frameskip plenty of games are very playable. still a very good machine now with ICS....

gamerr
Primary Device: desire hd
ROM: gg

Postby gamerr » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Correct from limiter. There are people who from limiter in opengl mode does not work? I fromlimiter lowers to 40 fps, but if I disable it fromlimiter fps is 80-90. fromlimiter reduces fps. play legend of dragoon. write someone a similar problem??

gregory85
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy Note
ROM: KingDroid ICS NoteMania v7.0

Postby gregory85 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:47 pm

Correct from limiter. There are people who from limiter in opengl mode does not work? I fromlimiter lowers to 40 fps, but if I disable it fromlimiter fps is 80-90. fromlimiter reduces fps. play legend of dragoon. write someone a similar problem??

Hmm ... I've got the same problem. Over 100 fps without framelimiter and choppy 40 fps when framelimiter is turned on. So games are too fast or too slow ... unplayable.
Its possible to add option "50 fps" even for ntsc games ? I'm asking cause sometimes 50 fps is better (for me) and still smooth (timing during combos in vagrant story and few others)

gamerr
Primary Device: desire hd
ROM: gg

Postby gamerr » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:37 pm

And even the sound of a bad fps does not work well. Well that is a problem not only for me. Maybe it's only a problem mali400?

Return to “News”