Fpse for Android News

Dragoth

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby Dragoth » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:31 pm

Hey guys, Schtruck, LDChen,

I'm struggling with slight fps problems on my device (in software render mode). I have a Desire Z (aka G2) overclocked to 1,6GHz.

When playing games without frameskip i notice lower fps around the 40s to 50s. No problem... my device isnt the fastest.
But here comes my problem that i dont quite understand:

When activating frameskip (and setting frameskip level up to 50fps) while NOT activating framelimiter i get superb fps between 50-70 fps (with pal games). It's really fast, including sound - only its a little to fast. So this is where framelimiter comes into play.

When activating frameskip AND framelimiter my fps gets stuck at 50fps. BUT i notice considerable frame drops, even though the built in fpse "frameprinter" shows a constant 50fps. Sound doesnt stutter either. But gameplay itself keeps stuttering and makes playing unenjoyable. It can somewhat be describes as: fluid 50fps --> short stutter --> slowly stabilizing --> 50fps --> repeat

It seems as if Frameskip in combination with framelimiter somehow produces performance issues.

Is it just my settings or my slow device? Or can it really possibly be a frameskip/framelimiter issue? Or something entirely different?

I can also say that the older versions of fpse (before the core update when savegame compatibility was lost from older versions and opengl update), that frameskip in combination with framelimiter worked flawlessly and i was able to play every single game in full and mostly enjoyable speeds.

Does anybody else have similar problems? Can anybody else reproduce this problem?

Thanks!

grukko
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Operating System: ICS
ROM: CM9

Postby grukko » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Dragoth wrote:Hey guys, Schtruck, LDChen,

I'm struggling with slight fps problems on my device (in software render mode). I have a Desire Z (aka G2) overclocked to 1,6GHz.

When playing games without frameskip i notice lower fps around the 40s to 50s. No problem... my device isnt the fastest.
But here comes my problem that i dont quite understand:

When activating frameskip (and setting frameskip level up to 50fps) while NOT activating framelimiter i get superb fps between 50-70 fps (with pal games). It's really fast, including sound - only its a little to fast. So this is where framelimiter comes into play.

When activating frameskip AND framelimiter my fps gets stuck at 50fps. BUT i notice considerable frame drops, even though the built in fpse "frameprinter" shows a constant 50fps. Sound doesnt stutter either. But gameplay itself keeps stuttering and makes playing unenjoyable. It can somewhat be describes as: fluid 50fps --> short stutter --> slowly stabilizing --> 50fps --> repeat

It seems as if Frameskip in combination with framelimiter somehow produces performance issues.

Is it just my settings or my slow device? Or can it really possibly be a frameskip/framelimiter issue? Or something entirely different?

I can also say that the older versions of fpse (before the core update when savegame compatibility was lost from older versions and opengl update), that frameskip in combination with framelimiter worked flawlessly and i was able to play every single game in full and mostly enjoyable speeds.

Does anybody else have similar problems? Can anybody else reproduce this problem?

Thanks!

I'm seeing this also. I don't think our devices are too slow since the fps is fine without framelimiting on.

kozeidon
Primary Device: HP Touchpad
ROM: Cyanogen 9 0.6

Postby kozeidon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:51 pm

schtruck wrote:No random crash for me on iss pro. you have set spusync?

I'll try again tonight.

Weird that this one works and the most recent doesn't. I made many tests on Pro Evo 2 bacause it is the latest and I had a crash on ISS Pro, so I supposed it was the same.

schtruck
Site Admin
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: WM 6.5.1 21869
ROM: 1.66

Postby schtruck » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:53 pm

I saw somes people are complaining about crash but they haven t updated their opengl plugin, if someone can let comment on android market and inform them they need to download new plugin...

I will update fpse to avoid this crash and will add a new option for opengl plugin which will fix the codec bug on metalgear solid, like that mgs will be fully playable.

kozeidon

Postby kozeidon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:03 pm

schtruck wrote:I saw somes people are complaining about crash but they haven t updated their opengl plugin, if someone can let comment on android market and inform them they need to download new plugin...

I will update fpse to avoid this crash and will add a new option for opengl plugin which will fix the codec bug on metalgear solid, like that mgs will be fully playable.

I have to admit that I had to go to this forum to know that I had to update my plugin... And I have not found easily the file :
on ICS, I couldn't see the description of the application where the link of the file was. So I had no way to find the location of the file.

Maybe you should put a little function to get the last opengl plugin available.

gregory85
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy Note
Operating System: Android 4.0.4
ROM: KingDroid ICS NoteMania v7.0

Postby gregory85 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:32 pm

I've noticed the same problem like Dragoth, any solution ?
I try to use cooltool and results was strange, fpse uses 1 core of cpu and I'm noticed fps drops (during fps drops cpu slow down from 1400 to 800 and fps 55 to 30) that's normal ?
Schtruck is possible to improve framelimiter and CPU utilisation ?

molitar
Enthusiast
Primary Device: Sprint SG3 (Adreno 225)
Operating System: Android 4.0.4
ROM: FreeGS3 v0.1.0

Postby molitar » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:54 pm

schtruck wrote:I saw somes people are complaining about crash but they haven t updated their opengl plugin, if someone can let comment on android market and inform them they need to download new plugin...

Schtruck, is it possible to have the app detect if it crashed previously and give you an option to reset to defaults on launch? It took me a while before I figured out that I could go into app remove and than clear data which will do the same thing but other will not know this and the only way for them to clear than will be to uninstall and reinstall which than loses their game data making a bad experience for them. One I figured out clear data worked for me I could get back into the emulator to change settings.

schtruck
Site Admin
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: WM 6.5.1 21869
ROM: 1.66

Postby schtruck » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:22 pm

i will updates within 3 hours FPse to avoid this crash if you load old OpenGL plugin.

gamerguy80
Primary Device: Google Nexus 5
Operating System: Android KitKat 4.4.4
ROM: Stock

Postby gamerguy80 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:15 pm

one problem i am having is that when i am playing Breath of Fire 3 and whenever i use a heal item or a healing spell, it screws of the video by making many things go black and i cant see anything other than the characters and enemies and then after the battle i cant see where im going because the background is all black. This is while in software mode only, when i play in opengl mode everything is fine and the healing spells dont affect the video. I prefer to play this in software mode. Is there a fix for this or do u think i may possibly have a bad file?

kozeidon

Postby kozeidon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:54 pm

schtruck wrote:No random crash for me on iss pro. you have set spusync?

Ok three games in a row, seems to work well ! But no Master league in this version.

Any idea à bout the fix for pro evo 2?

Thx for the answers and the tip for spu sync.

Return to “News”