Fpse for Android News

gaialili
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S III
ROM: Rom stock SFR

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby gaialili » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:39 pm

I think it can actually be dangerous and the eboot does not worth risking a ban from market. It's not absolutely necessary.

Azerty16

Postby Azerty16 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:44 pm

LouCipher idea is not bad, maybe the eboot support can be a downloadable plugin from the market! Really hope to see the eboot support soon :D

Krislawl
Primary Device: Motorola Droid

Postby Krislawl » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:31 pm

file formats can be copyrighted? a seperate plugin would be great

LouCipher
Primary Device: TMobile G2
ROM: CM7 RC1

Postby LouCipher » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:11 pm

Krislawl wrote:file formats can be copyrighted? a seperate plugin would be great

Sorry, copyright isn't the right term. If they can go after fpse with eboot for anything, it would be patent infringement. And Sony has a huge patent library, and they're one of the most litigious companies on the planet.

Also, if schtruck does go the plugin route, it would be just as dangerous to put the plugin on the market as fpse with native eboot, as Sony could still go after schtruck's dev account on the market, and shut him down completely. To avoid risk of fpse being pulled from the market, the plugin would have to be distributed on a third-party site like these forums. Or, the plugin could be released as source to be compiled, since (in the US at least) source code has been ruled as protected free speech (see pgp supreme court case).

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, this should not be construed as legal advice.

thewolf16
Primary Device: Galaxy Note 4, Nvidia Shield T
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock

Postby thewolf16 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:26 pm

@schtruck:

I have a few informations about the eboot copyright. Because Eboot is a PSP-format i have asked in a PSP-forum if the eboot-format has a copyright:

http://www.pspking.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=43770

this is very interesting:

Eine Software auf den Markt zu bringen, die ein bestimmtes Format nur unterstützt, ist vollkommen unbedenklich. Das wird schon durchs Kartellrecht geschützt, denn sonst könnte Microsoft etwa Monopole auf ihre Dateiformate haben und kein anderer Hersteller dürfte eine Software veröffentlichen, die diese Formate verarbeiten kann.
An einer einzelnen EBOOT selbst besteht natürlich ein Urheberrecht, aber das bezieht sich nicht darauf wie das Format im Allgemeinen benutzt wird.

on english:

To bring a software on the market that supports a particular format only, is perfectly safe.. This is already protected by antitrust law, for otherwise Microsoft would have about their monopolies on file formats and no other manufacturer would release a software that can handle these formats.
At a single EBOOT itself, of course, there is a copyright, but that does not relate to how the format is generally used.

Alexking is a lawyer apprentice so he knows his stuff.

phrozen087
Primary Device: Droid 2
Operating System: Android 2.2
ROM: Liberty v1.5

Postby phrozen087 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:58 am

I think the plugin idea is actually a pretty good idea. Personally I would rather be safe then sorry as I don't want to see FPSE removed from the market.

I am not a lawyer, but here is my opinion on reading file formats. A file format itself can by copyrighted, patented or licensed such that a 3rd party cannot create one. That said a 3rd party way of reading the proprietary file, i.e. using a reading technique that is not based on and uses no code from Sony for reading the format, is technically a different piece of software. I would see this much in the way that while Microsoft created files like .docx, .xlsx, etc, things like openoffice and other office readers (think about quick office on android) are all capable of opening and reading the file formats. These programs do not make any changes to the files, are not capable of creating the files, and do nothing that involves creating a potentially infringing situation. To the best of my knowledge, inside the eboot is simply the same compressed data that is in any other disc format.

Once again, if you don't feel safe adding the eboot or you think they might remove the app because of it, I would rather have the app and simply keep using ISOs or .Z files then have it removed.

yooin14
Primary Device: galaxy s
Operating System: nothing

Postby yooin14 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:34 am

Please be in safe way. I dont want fpse being removed from market.

This is my number app for my phone!

suavethekid
Primary Device: Galaxy note 2, Motorola Xoom
ROM: Blazer rom, Tiamat

Postby suavethekid » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:14 am

Im totally in for the plugin idea. That was the first thing I though as well, everyone wants to see fpse succeed and removal from the market would suck, but the way things are going we never know theres only very few emulators left on market. Personally I really was looking forward to the eboots, and since I have a nexus s 4g now it only has 16 gigs of built in space whereas my samsung epic had removable sd cards which I had a few of. I say leave eboot out of market update and setup a download or just have a PM system. FPse uber alles

D69K
Enthusiast
Primary Device: HTC Sensation
Operating System: Android 2.3.5
ROM: Alfaifi Sensation XE 6.0.1

Postby D69K » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:24 pm

i900frenchaddict wrote:After a few researches on the web, I found out that the new Qualcomm Dual Core CPU are asynchrone, while tegra 2 is not, what explains that tegra 2 has better benchmark results => current bench use only one of the two cores for Qualcomm, when the 2 cores of a Tegra are always both running, whatever the app or game or bench.

Judging from the results I have on my HTC Sensation with Fpse, I could bet only one core is actually used by Fpse

Schtruck, if you have time, could you have a look at this?
I guess Tegra dual cores already give their best for Fpse, but Qualcomm ones don't.

remember what i said ?? ;) ;)
"Only strength can cooperate. Weakness can only beg" Dwight D. Eisenhowe
1890-1969, Thirty-fourth President of the USA <--- he also had a D like Monkey D. Luffy those guys are everywhere :lol:

Wishmaster
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Sony Xperia Z
Operating System: Android 4.2.2
ROM: 10.3.1.A.0.244

Postby Wishmaster » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:34 pm

Schtruck after adding support for icontrolpad do you plan on adding support for USB gamepads for honeycomb? Will there be a dedicated version of fpse with some tablet specific options?
Would be fun to play PSone games with PS USB gamepad :D
i900frenchaddict wrote:After a few researches on the web, I found out that the new Qualcomm Dual Core CPU are asynchrone, while tegra 2 is not, what explains that tegra 2 has better benchmark results => current bench use only one of the two cores for Qualcomm, when the 2 cores of a Tegra are always both running, whatever the app or game or bench.

Judging from the results I have on my HTC Sensation with Fpse, I could bet only one core is actually used by Fpse

Schtruck, if you have time, could you have a look at this?
I guess Tegra dual cores already give their best for Fpse, but Qualcomm ones don't.

Or it could either be the fact that current gingerbread doesn't support dual-core architecture and HTC didn't think about doing some kind of workaround to enable the second core like LG and Samsung(presumably) did.

Return to “News”