Galaxy S II performance with Fpse

CloudStrife86
Global Moderator
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 (i9505)
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2

Galaxy S II performance with Fpse

Postby CloudStrife86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:57 pm

I'd like to announce my (gradual) comeback from PSone-emulation-obscurity, by adding a new sub-forum (this one), and letting people know how my new device performs with Fpse.

I only got the phone yesterday (28th April), so I haven't had a great deal of time to mess about with it. Needless to say, it is lightyears ahead of my tired old Xperia X1i (R.I.P :| ).

I'll be updating this post with some play-tests if I really find it is necessary, otherwise it'll just become a case of "this phone is better than you and I, it runs all games at full speed".

So far, I have tested FFVII (of course) and FFIX. Both were full speed. The sound is also excellent, except for when entering battles, where it goes out of sync for a couple of seconds. Other than that, I am supremely impressed.

Either tonight, or tomorrow night, I'll test Metal Gear Solid, Tekken 3 and Gran Turismo 2. Until then, I'll be signing off.

P.S. I'm glad to be back ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Video links

Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid
Platinum trophies: Uncharted, MW2, Uncharted 2, Resi 5, AC II, Fallout 3, Batman: AA, CoD: WaW, BlOps, FFXIII, BioShock, L.A. Noire, Deus Ex: HR, Uncharted 3, Heavy Rain, Batman: AC, inFAMOUS 2, The Walking Dead, Virtue's Last Reward, Borderlands

i900frenchaddict
Global Moderator
Primary Device: Galaxy Note 2/ HTCs

Re: Galaxy S II performance with Fpse

Postby i900frenchaddict » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Welcome back my friend !

PlUmPaSsChIcKeN
Primary Device: Droid X
ROM: Liberty 2.0.1 "Liberated HC" Theme

Postby PlUmPaSsChIcKeN » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:03 am

Would love to see a video of this phone playing some fpse xD

Really can't wait for this too be released in the US, would be a welcome upgrade from my droid x.

Q-Ball
Global Moderator
Primary Device: Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini pro
Operating System: Android 2.3.2

Postby Q-Ball » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:09 pm

Cloud is back :D

CloudStrife86
Global Moderator

Postby CloudStrife86 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:21 pm

So, I've made a video of me running FFVII on the SGS2. You'll have to excuse the annoying voice, poor commentary and crappy audio/video quality. It's my first ever YouTube upload, so I can only get better with experience right? The link is in the updated first post. Enjoy, and provide feedback if you feel that way inclined.
Platinum trophies: Uncharted, MW2, Uncharted 2, Resi 5, AC II, Fallout 3, Batman: AA, CoD: WaW, BlOps, FFXIII, BioShock, L.A. Noire, Deus Ex: HR, Uncharted 3, Heavy Rain, Batman: AC, inFAMOUS 2, The Walking Dead, Virtue's Last Reward, Borderlands

PlUmPaSsChIcKeN

Postby PlUmPaSsChIcKeN » Sun May 01, 2011 5:00 am

Nice video. Really can't wait to get my hands on this phone.

Anyway, a few questions for you if you don't mind... Do you have sharp overlay drawing enabled? If not , when checked do you notice a big drop in frames per second? Also, have you tried any external pads yet?

Reason I'm asking is because I lose about 10-15 frames power second with sharp overlay drawing enabled on my droid x and I much prefer the sharper looking pads rather than the funky looking ones. I would be rather disappointed if that phone couldn't handle sharp overlay pads.

Anyway thanks a ton for the video, looking forward to some more.

CloudStrife86
Global Moderator

Postby CloudStrife86 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:27 pm

I tried alternating between different screen sizes, and also sharp/regular overlays. Nothing made a difference to the performance. I expect the reason for that, is that without the frame limiter on, it hits about 120fps average with FFIX. I tried Gran Turismo as well, it also hits huge framerates, so even a difference there, would not be drop below the 60fps threshold.
I'm going to make a couple more videos when I get some time. The next two will be Tekken 3 (which comfortably hits 60fps regardless of CPU-intensive settings) and Metal Gear Solid (which I am yet to try out. The first time I go on that will be for the video).

PlUmPaSsChIcKeN

Postby PlUmPaSsChIcKeN » Tue May 03, 2011 9:33 am

Sounds great, now I really can't wait to get my hands on this phone.

Will look forward to seeing the new videos.
Thanks for the heads up.

Phaedrus Nine
Global Moderator
Primary Device: HTC HD 2 (Leo)
Operating System: 6.5.X (5.2.23549)
ROM: Miri HD2 6.5.X V10

Postby Phaedrus Nine » Wed May 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Nice to see you back Cloud. Been a long time, I've been away from the forum lately myself.

I got my Galaxy S2 yesterday, so far very impressed (after changing to LauncherPro instead of TouchWiz). It runs Fpse pretty much flawlessly so far. Though I noticed FFIX still slows down for me in battle. Not a great deal, and that is with filtering turned on. Everything else though runs fine.
"Learn everything about something, and something about everything"
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhaedrusNine

CloudStrife86
Global Moderator

Postby CloudStrife86 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:22 pm

Phaedrus Nine wrote:I noticed FFIX still slows down for me in battle. Not a great deal, and that is with filtering turned on.

I noticed that when I tried the filtering thing too. It dropped by about 10fps. If you don't use the filtering though, you get solid full speed the whole time. I can live with the slight pixelation from not using the filtering, I couldn't be on with any slow-down though. I suppose I could turn on filtering in the field, but turn it off for battle.

For the phone itself, I absolutely love everything about it. I primarily still use the TouchWiz launcher, but I also have ADW and Launcher7 (looks like Windows Phone 7). I switch between the three using HomeSwitcher.

Return to “Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-i9100)”