psx emulators being pulled from market...

Therev
Primary Device: HTC Incredible / Omnia I910
ROM: CM7

psx emulators being pulled from market...

Postby Therev » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:12 am

Just thought I'd let everyone here know Psx4droid was pulled from the market, not sure the fate of fpse. This makes me sad, wtf is Google doing lately??

"zodttd: psx4droid v2 was pulled by Google due to "Content Policy violation" as noted here http://t.co/t1Vr2gb Trying to determine what can be done."

--http://twitter.com/zodttd/status/53194505553317888

AlexTheStampede
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Operating System: Android 2.2.1
ROM: Roto JMIv2, Kernel Overcome 2.1.1

Re: psx emulators being pulled from market...

Postby AlexTheStampede » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:31 am

I THINK it might have to do with the Xperia Play, with Sony wanting the exclusive on their imagery and brands. Like the icon (PlayStation logo, no way that was used with permission) and the nane itself "PSX"4droid. Maybe fixing those, and maybe removing the integration with rom finder would solve the issue.
Maybe.

neko68k
Primary Device: Samsung Vibrant
ROM: [CM7] OC'd@1.3

Postby neko68k » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:52 am

Legally speaking, PlayStation is a registered trademark. So is the playstation logo. PSX may or may not be depending on what country you live in(i.e. in Japan there is an actual product from sony called PSX) Rom Gripper I'm sure sony would frown upon but it isn't technically illegal since it doesn't actually host the roms.

What's more is that emulation isn't illegal in and of itself. See Sony vs. Bleem for reference. There may be issue with selling it but again, see Sony vs. Bleem and furthermore Sony bought Connectix Game Station way back in the day(and promptly killed it, but thats another story:).

I'm not a lawyer but I've been involved in emulation since ~96 and my 2 cents is basically, aside from trademark issues sony wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I'm sure they're just scared of the competition and Google is, for their own safety, a 'shoot first ask questions later' kind of company(youtube violations for example).

horrain
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: HTC Desire

Postby horrain » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:40 am

You don't need to root your phone to install apk files, you can just side load em, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzs_1DeSgWI is a video tutorial on the process, but basically if someone hosts an apk file on a website, and you point your browser to it, it'll download and install.

So in theory if Google does wave the ban stick in FPSE's direction, which I hope it doesn't, all the dev needs to do is pop the apk is a password protected web directory and sell access and the jobs a goodun :)

*edit* fixed typos

touche112
Primary Device: Motorola Droid X
Operating System: Froyo 2.2.1
ROM: Liberty 1.5

Postby touche112 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:42 pm

I guess the word on the street is PSX4Droid was pulled due to multiple GPL violations - not because of Sony influence.

Phaedrus Nine
Global Moderator
Primary Device: HTC HD 2 (Leo)
Operating System: 6.5.X (5.2.23549)
ROM: Miri HD2 6.5.X V10

Postby Phaedrus Nine » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Here, here :)

i900frenchaddict wrote:Android users are soooo lazy.... I definitly miss the good old time of FpseCE, when using it was not as easy as dowloading an app, when we had to install everything manually and edit our .ini files, CFG files, gamelist, etc.
Users were all real addicts, no kids, no complaining people, no noobs.....

We've been using FpseCE for years and we have always installed it by copying files from the computer after buying it from the net and recieving it in our inbox. And never had problems with Microsoft removing things, they were not on any market, simply.

Android is a real paradise for warez (apps to download iso are sold on the market...when downloading iso is not legal!!) I don't think it will last long or google will start having troubles

BTW, you still need a rooted phone to access some ini files of Fpse
"Learn everything about something, and something about everything"
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhaedrusNine

Tatsumaki Senpūkyaku
Primary Device: t8585

Postby Tatsumaki Senpūkyaku » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:44 pm

i900frenchaddict wrote:Android users are soooo lazy.... I definitly miss the good old time of FpseCE, when using it was not as easy as dowloading an app, when we had to install everything manually and edit our .ini files, CFG files, gamelist, etc.
Users were all real addicts, no kids, no complaining people, no noobs.....

Common i900frenchaddict!
I also miss the time when xda-dev was mainly WinMo orientated (there are to many posts now from smart people whom explain nothing but "got to post everywhere!" mentality)
I even got already 3 points for "trolling", :D ! (even mods make mistakes...) not sure yet if this's supposed to be a acomplishment...so proud...

As you know this forum is about playing PS1 "games" on your phone. So, you must be a kid or a geek(as a sheep would say)[or maybe a geeky kid].
It's also sad to see Q-Ball becoming more like a janitor. We all even missed Cloudstrifes b-day this year...
i900frenchaddict wrote:We've been using FpseCE for years and we have always installed it by copying files from the computer after buying it from the net and recieving it in our inbox. And never had problems with Microsoft removing things, they were not on any market, simply. Android is a real paradise for warez (apps to download iso are sold on the market...when downloading iso is not legal!!) I don't think it will last long or google will start having troubles
BTW, you still need a rooted phone to access some ini files of Fpse

6oogle-OS, i don't even know where to start on that one... tell people to root their phone or not to?! It's like living in jones town...

Since we got quick-overlay-pads, i even lost interest in making graphics for fpse...just can't get satisfying results compared to 0.10.18.(may have to try harder)
Even there is more speed, i still think this is a step backwards for "fpse for android"...not to mention having a PAD_D/B_DOWN.bmp like in fpsece...

I just like to say, thanks for your remarkable patience. I quickly get angry trying to answer the same (poorly described) questions...
tatsumaki's corner
Minds are like parachutes, they both work best when open.

Phaedrus Nine
Global Moderator

Postby Phaedrus Nine » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:23 am

Tatsumaki Senpūkyaku wrote: We all even missed Cloudstrifes b-day this year...

I didn't, I sent him best wishes. He's been travelling, I can't remember where he said he was. Sounded nice though.

Tatsumaki Senpūkyaku
Primary Device: t8585

Postby Tatsumaki Senpūkyaku » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:37 am

Phaedrus Nine wrote:
Tatsumaki Senpūkyaku wrote: We all even missed Cloudstrifes b-day this year...

I didn't, I sent him best wishes. He's been travelling, I can't remember where he said he was. Sounded nice though.

So, i guess i am the only one who missed it. But seriously, best news since a long time!

Thanks Phaedrus Nine!
tatsumaki's corner
Minds are like parachutes, they both work best when open.

Phaedrus Nine
Global Moderator

Postby Phaedrus Nine » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:30 am

i900frenchaddict wrote:have you seen it???
=> look for "PSX arcade" and you'll find a brand new PSX emulator for Android :shock:

I tried it (I thought I had too!), it's just damn sloooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

I had a look, but didn't try it. It doesn't look official at all.

Return to “General Discussion”