Here is a small tutorial on how to make your own gamepad SKIN and load is manually from FPse64.
To load you gamepad skin, all file must be placed into a directory and FPse64 will search for the pad.ini file
you can load it from Settings / Gamepad / Onscreen gamepad / Model /Load from Sdcard
the default gamepad skin package can be found here:
FPse64 consider Button0 image as the Directional Cross and Button1 image as the four buttons Cross,Square,Triangle,Circle
Button0 to Button8 are displayed by default, the rest are Multibuttons
You have to respect this but button0 to 8 can be tuned because after all the most important is the raw file associated to each PNG file which is the mask to describe where to press and what PSone button it is.
Colors of the raw file is coded in RGB888 and color code is inside pad.ini in decimal
i use the tool paint.net to design .png and .bmp file which give us the color code in hexadecimal then convert in decimal and fill the pad.ini file
i save this file in .bmp 24bits then use the tool bmp2raw ( inside gamepad.zip) to convert the file in raw format
i provide my tool raw2bmp to convert FPse64 raw file to bmp to be able to edit them if necessary
For Example you want to have a simple Directional Cross with just 4 directions.
1) uncompress the file gamepad.zip to a directory
2) drag and drop the file button0.raw onto raw2bmp.exe to create the bmp file of the original raw file , fill width and height in pixel of the associated png file
3) transform the original mask image
4) convert your saved 24bits bmp file using bmp2raw.exe (inside gamepad.zip), just drag your bmp file and drop it to bmp2raw.exe
5) load the new gamepad skin from the gamepad FPse64 menu
6) Be proud!
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have more questions