Editing & Adding CHeats

apennismightier
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII
Operating System: Android 4.0.4
ROM: Stock

Editing & Adding CHeats

Postby apennismightier » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:15 pm

So I'm running FF7 and FF8 on my Samsung Galaxy SIII. When I saw the option to use cheats, I was really excited! Now I can get tons of AP or Gil for these 2 games.

The app automatically downloads cheats from the internet, and mostly their item modifier codes, meaning that I can change the amount or experience points on certain items I carry.

What if I want to edit the file that stores the cheats or add my own cheats?

How do I know what cheats it's using? Is it using GameShark codes? I can only assume since that was the main cheating device used for the PSX.

So when I try to find the file that the app says it's storing all the cheat codes in, the folder doesn't exist. It says it's stored under /mnt/scard/.fpse/cheats/SCUS-XXXX (whatever the game code is).txt

There is NO .fpse or fpse folder on my scard or in that path.

So, I tried to simple create my own using the option in fpse. I save it as the Gameshark code, and when I try to load it it says it loaded 0 cheats.

Now, the original cheats that the app downloaded are all gone. It somehow wiped out the file.

So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Where is the cheats text file located?
2. What cheat codes are being used (GameShark, ActionReplay??)
3. How can I add my own cheat codes and have them load properly?

guymelef
Primary Device: Asus Tranformer Prime tf201
Operating System: Android 4.1.1
ROM: stock

Re: Editing & Adding CHeats

Postby guymelef » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:47 pm

I want to start by saying thanks to FPSE for maintaining the online cheat list. It doesn't have everything or every cheat but everyone I've tried has more than enough to get started.

You can edit them directly in FPSE or at least I can.

It is kind of annoying that fpse uses an internal system path to store the master list. This causes issues later...

You can copy that 'downloaded' list even if you are rooted with good file manager program from the play store.

Copy to a folder off the root of the external memory card. Then you can edit and replace via a desktop or something.

In fpse you can choose to load a cheat file from a different location.

Here's the bad part. If you chose to edit the cheat file you moved from within FPSE, then the edit version will overwrite the version that was stored on the internal memory source. Kind of shitty.

As far as what type of cheat codes are accepted, anything that starts with D,8,5 I don't think the '3' codes are compatible yet. But you'll have to try them and see.

When you dig out the file that FPSE downloaded, then you will have a better idea of how to do it.

Feature request: CONFIGURABLE PATHS!!! And an option to download or re-download the FPSE maintained cheat list.

Thanks again FPSE crew.

apennismightier
Fresh Fish

Postby apennismightier » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:44 am

Thanks for the help, but it really didn't help me at all. All you did was tell me what I already knew.

For example, I want to put in the code 8009d7dce0ff 8009d7de05f5 for Final Fantasy 7 that will gives 99,999 AP after every battle.

When I go to Create/edit a cheat, it won't let me erase the last digit in the 1 code I tried to add. It will let me edit everything before it. A bug, I assume.

Secondly, this will only allow me to add 1 cheat and when I save it, it says 0 cheats stored to mnt/sdcard.... etc.

I'm not rooted and I've already tried to upload my own list.

I have the most updated version that was just released.

If I wanted to load my own list, which I've tried, it gives me the same thing. I put the code in a text file and loaded it from a specific path. Same thing. 0 cheats added.

I can't even redownload the cheats for the game. When I select the option to do so, it just gives me the same 0 cheats added message, as if it can't overwrite the file it made.

I tried to edit/add a cheat with Final Fantasy 8 after downloading about 100 cheats for it. I get the message "File is too big. Open outside of FPSE."

Dude, seriously? FPSE is a great app but the ball was really dropped on this shit.

So, any ideas/help on any of this?

**EDIT**

Astro File Manager can show you all the hidden paths. The stock file manager my S3 came with couldn't do that. I'll edit the file and hope for the best. It would've helped if there was some kind of documentation on how to add cheats, because even when you do it through FPSE, you have to know to put the #s around the names of the cheats, and what to set it to as far as "times per frame".

Got the FF7 code to work by editing the files on my computer and pasting them back into the fpse directory. Figured out how to set the codes by looking at the other cheat list that was on there for FF8. Enclosed the name of the cheat with #s.

The codes wouldn't work unless I set it to 50 times per frame, though. Why is that, and what does that mean?

Primon
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: HTC Thumderbolt
Operating System: android

Postby Primon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:58 pm

Not sure if this reply will help you much, but I stumbled across your post multiple times searching for an answer to my own questions. I had no luck finding any decent support for the cheat function. So, I'm sure that even if you don't find this useful, someone will.

The easiest way I've found to use cheats is to create a .txt file and load it after I load the game. The format for the .txt file is:

#cheat description#
00000000 0000

Sample of my cheat file for chrono cross:

#Access All Characters#
800719A0 FFFF
800719A2 FFFF
800719A4 FFFF
#Save Anywhere Cheat #
D00E21F8 0001
800E21F8 0000
#World Status On #
800724E4 0001
#Walk Through Walls Cheat Note: Press L2+Select to activate the walk through walls cheat & Press L1+Select to turn off the cheat. #
D007E9F0 0101
800AF066 2400
D007E9F2 0104
800AF066 0040
#Maximum Gold Cheat #
800719A8 E0FF
800719AA 05F5

Just make sure you add each code to a new line under the description, which has to be between ##
Last edited by Primon on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Primon
Fresh Fish

Postby Primon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Most people will already assume that you use gameshark or pro action replay codes, which you can find easily enough with Google, but for those of you who didn't, tjere ya go. Hope this helps.

apennismightier
Fresh Fish

Postby apennismightier » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks for the heads up Primon, but I figured all that out. I threw into my edit on my last post. Most of the codes are item modifier codes, which I assume most people don't want to bother with and can become tedious.

I got the codes I use in there and to work, but the only way to get access to the .fpse folder is with Astro File Manager, because the file manager that came on my GS3 won't show them.

arogance1
Primary Device: HTC One X

Postby arogance1 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:31 am

The one problem I found is that it doesn't save the enabled cheats on loading the game.

If choose to enable the Max/Inf HP on FF9 to get past a boss, the next time I play, I have to enable it again.

Very frustrating

apennismightier
Fresh Fish

Postby apennismightier » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:37 am

Thats pretty standard. Nothing does that. Epsxe cheater or Gameshark didnt. Idk why youd expect this to.

arogance1
Primary Device: HTC One X

Postby arogance1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:22 am

If I enable cheats on, say, a GBA or NES emulator, the cheats would stay enabled after closing / reloading the app.

When I enable cheats on my DS using a Flash Card, the cheats will always stay enabled.

Thats why I was hoping the PSX emulator could do the same.

Primon
Fresh Fish

Postby Primon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:45 pm

You know I hate to point out the obvious, but fpse is not a gba or nes emulator. The way each handles lines of code is completely different. I think the best advice for you is to try and remember to switch the codes on each time you load the game. If you're waiting for the devs to implement a cheat system that basically hard writes the altered codes to the game files, its probably not going to happen...

Return to “General Discussion”