Samsung Galaxy S3 OpenGL Settings?

wilk489
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S3(VZW)
Operating System: 4.0.4
ROM: CleanRom 2.1

Samsung Galaxy S3 OpenGL Settings?

Postby wilk489 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Anyone have some good settings with the new update and OpenGL plugin for the Galaxy S3? I've been messing around with my Verizon Galaxy S3 and can't seem to get Chrono Cross to play at more than 25-30fps.

Edit: Since I'm unsure what each setting does and have gotten frustrated I decided to go back to software gpu for now lol. Good news is since updating to 0.11.32 from 0.11.29 the fps on battle transitions that I used to get was around 20fps to now 35-40fps. :)

ManuBBXX
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy SII
Operating System: Windows 7
ROM: ICS stock

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 OpenGL Settings?

Postby ManuBBXX » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 am

There is a new update of Pete's Opengl plugin ??
When ?

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Postby bluezeak » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:10 am

please see my post on openGL - check the link in my signature. there's tons of information about the plugin, especially my spreadsheet (see link in my thread).

there's no new update for pete's plugin as far as I know. AS FAR AS i know, schtruck took the open source PEOpS and used it for fpse. I believe that he has indeed modified it a couple times, thought I don't know how much.

In the main thread schtruck said he has put a wrapper on the plugin in order to prepare for the new opengl ver 2 plugin he's working on. I don't know, but I suspect, that he's using pete's linux version of the opengl2 plugin (again, I don't know). Anyway, with the new wrapper around the existing plugin, you have to get the new plugin. if you had downloaded the existing plugin to your phone so you could load it locally, that won't work.

ManuBBXX, most of the settings are generic, but the effect they have is genereally games specific. I mean: some settings are needed in some games, but not in others. So, it's hard to say what 'good settings' are. It depends on the game.

That being said, the new plugin changes the way some of the setiings work. Specifically, for me, anti aliasing is more or less required. it fixes a bunch of graphics problems that didn't used to exist previously, and also makes the plugin work at 'normal' rates. without it, the plugin runs at 1/3 to 1/4 the speed it used to - at least it does in FF9. I haven't tested other games.

Also, good 'general' settings: offscreen drawing - will show things that youcan't see without it. alpha multipass - affects transparent items - shadows, menus with tranparency, other things. often needed, but sometimes messes things up. sometimes 32-bits fixes 'garbage' but I've never seen it make a difference for me (it' supposed to enhance colrs I believe).

Please check out my thread on opengl. I think schtruck should sticky it - but I'm biased :).
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

wilk489
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S3(VZW)
Operating System: 4.0.4
ROM: CleanRom 2.1

Postby wilk489 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks for the info. :D After looking through your thread, so far with OpenGL I've gotten Chrono Cross to play at around 40fps using Boost Mode, Spusync, Frameskip, offscreen drawing, alpha multipass, special frame limiter, frame limiter set to auto, and drawing thread priority set to 1. Tried using Anti Aliasing, but for some reason it doesn't want to stay on. I've tried restarting and even when I check it, exit the menu, then go back in it'll uncheck itself.

Battle transitions with Chrono Cross seemed to have improved with OpenGL like I noticed with Software GPU. Drops to about 30fps then quickly gets back up to speed.

Also tried FF8 with the above settings and it's running at almost 60fps consistently other than battle transitions dropping to about 8fps for like 15 seconds.

One thing I've been doing which I'm not sure if it is making much of a difference is going into task manager on my and clearing my RAM.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:49 am

anti aliasing makes things run slower, and is supposed to make things look better. It was a glithch that made anti-alising make things go faster in updates 11.30-11.32.

something else you can try if you're very motivated, and if you've rooted your device - install chainfire3d. I've not done that, though I'm tempted to. I've been told it can makes things better. Some have said that you have to lower your graphics in opengl to make the fps fast enough...<shrug>

Lionheart
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: galaxy s3
Operating System: jelly bean
ROM: aokp

Postby Lionheart » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:25 pm

^^^ I tried installing the chainfire 3d And the s3 isn't supported :( . I should've read instead of installing it blindly because my device didn't boot lol. I had to flash my rom again.

Anyways back on topic, I'm having Trouble with opengl when I get into battles it has the weird graphic artifacts and I can't see the battle commands. Is there a setting to fix it or has anyone encounter this issue ? I tried playing around with the settings but no luck.

Please help because opengl is so damn amazing I cannot give it up ! I like how I can see the bullets Dropping in ff7

BTW thank you for making this app it is so amazing!

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:36 am

opengl is pretty game specific. what game - ff7? I don't know of any issue with opengl specifically - but I do know there were some issues with the s3 in general. I don't know if it was ics, or if it was the gpu, but I know schtruck worked on it a good bit for this last update (since 11.29).

'artifacts' on screen are often also referred to as 'gargabe'. You can try turning on '32 bits'. that's been known to help with some issues on the side of the screen. I know some people with the s2 had major problems with garbage and other distortions and got opengl to work via chainfire - but, wow, you've already been down that road (sounds like it was a long, painful road - good work on getting your phone back!!!!).

'can't see the battle commands' - sounds like you need to enable 'offscreen drawing'.

Have you been to the game specific forum and looked up your game? Go there, check it.

Also, please see my opengl thread - see my signature for a link.

Lionheart
Fresh Fish

Postby Lionheart » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:23 am

Lol yeah I'm playing FF7. I understand the s3 is pretty new and there hasn't been much support for it but I've read through most of the threads on here and it seems like I'm the only one having this issue. Everyone else was having lag/sound issues but mine was running pretty smooth except when the screen changes or when I'm in battle, the battle commands are glitched and I can't see anything. Everything is all fuzzed up.

I've tried what you recommend but it's still giving me that issue :( I have not check the game specific yet but i'll do that now thanks! I guess what i can do now is play on softgpu or wait until a new release is out lol.

Yeah Chainfire did mess up my phone but it was not so bad. All you need to do is wipe cache/dalvik and flash the rom over again and all your settings are still there. It literally took 5 mins lol.

And yes i've read through the opengl link. I've learned a lot but nothing that helps what im having issues with.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:41 am

can you post a screenshot? I'm curions about this issue. I use 'screenshot it', but there are a couple different options on the market (or just use another phone / camera).

also, what gpu do you have? most SIII's have the adreno 225, but one has the mali-400 (or so I've read).

do you have the stock rom on your phone? it looks like you have a custom ROM. do you know if the problem was the hardware or the ROM for the chainfire issue?

from my opengl thread, the two guys that had the issue had a slow powerv4 sgx540, and one had the galxy S II which may be the mali-400.

Lionheart
Fresh Fish

Postby Lionheart » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:15 am

This is what I'm having issues with . Everything else runs fine except this has made it impossible to play lol. Yes I am on custon aokp ROM running jelly bean .

From what I read on here my s3 is adreno 225. Att version . I believe the chainfire issue is software related from what i've searched on Xda
Attachments
Screenshot_2012-09-03-02-10-13.png
Screenshot_2012-09-03-02-10-13.png (373.94 KiB) Viewed 17076 times

Return to “General Discussion”