Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha settings

mzhussein
Primary Device: ASUS transformer TF70oT
Operating System: Android ICS

Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha settings

Postby mzhussein » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:51 am

Hi all,

Im completely new emulators as a whole, when it became apparent that i could possibly get "Street fighter EX plus Alpha" running on my tablet for me and my brother to play when we go on holiday in the next couple of weeks, i quickly became interested!

Ive got FPSE and managed to get one sixaxis controller to work with it, im just struggling to find the correct settings in FPSE to make the game playable.

could someone please hlep me out here? im totally new to this....

mzhussein

Re: Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha settings

Postby mzhussein » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Should have been more specific, sorry.

The game is too slow atm. (My fps rate at loading screens is around 60, and around 35 in gameplay...)

Edit: the controls are accurate. No problems there

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Postby bluezeak » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:42 pm

What device do you have?

Are you using the default graphics engine (softGPU) or are you using OpenGL? You probably want to use the softGPU.

Did you turn frameskip on? frameskip and maybe print fps are probably the only things you want set. You may also want to turn frame limiter on also.

Also, if your device had a multi core processor you can go to system settings and verify 'force mono core' is uncheck. You can check it to see if it spotters things up.
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

mzhussein

Postby mzhussein » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:15 am

bluezeak wrote:What device do you have?

Are you using the default graphics engine (softGPU) or are you using OpenGL? You probably want to use the softGPU.

Did you turn frameskip on? frameskip and maybe print fps are probably the only things you want set. You may also want to turn frame limiter on also.

Also, if your device had a multi core processor you can go to system settings and verify 'force mono core' is uncheck. You can check it to see if it spotters things up.

I was using OpenGL, once i swapped to softGPU it all ran smoothly! thanks! (i had to turn on frame limiter as it was running at 200fps! (was like playing Japanese street fighter....impossible)

Out of interest, what is the difference between OpenGL and SoftGPU?

The device i'm using if the new ASUS tablet, transformer infinity, TF700T (Quad core tegra 3)

i900frenchaddict wrote:do what bluezeak said just above (thanks mate, doing huge support!) and don't forget "boost mode" in congig/system it may help too on some games.

Frameskip (or old frameskip, depending on games) is usually really not agressive for smoothness and can help reaching full speed.

Thanks, turns out i didn't need frame skip, but i tried it anyway, it kind of makes it a bit unplayable as it is too jerky (although i didn't mess around with the amount of frame skip)

storm20200
Primary Device: Nexus 7, Galaxy S II (UK)
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock JB, CyanogenMod 9.1

Postby storm20200 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:18 pm

The difference is a huge difference in quality. softGPU is generally quite pixelated and rough looking but that can be cured a bit by using texture filtering and stuff. OpenGL renders everything with OpenGL so 3D textures look fantastic, ESPECIALLY on a small screen. However, OpenGL requires a lot of power and kills battery life. For example I remember getting around 4 hours on SoftGPU in FFVIII but only around 2-3 hours using OpenGL on my Galaxy S2. If your device can handle OpenGL then it is nice to run the game with it but if you have frame rate issues then SoftGPU is definitely the way to go! :D
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:28 pm

I've written a minor disertation on the FPSE and OpenGL.

See my signature, click on the link.

Tons of info there, some things that talk specifically about the difference between the two. Also there are screenshots. the main consideration is '3d objects'. if a game doesn't have 3d objects it doesn't make a significant difference (usually). it will render it differently, maybe better, maybe worse, but it generally won't make much of a difference. if it has 3d objects - HUGE difference. Also - don't knock the big screen. opengl will make those objects look great on a big screen too (e.g. computer using psx emulator, software gfx plugin vs opengl gfx plugin).

@storm20200 - how could you play ffviii for hours with opengl? the 8 secons to load fight scenes makes opengl more or less unusable in that game (which sucks).

storm20200
Primary Device: Nexus 7, Galaxy S II (UK)
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock JB, CyanogenMod 9.1

Postby storm20200 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:21 pm

bluezeak wrote:I've written a minor disertation on the FPSE and OpenGL.
@storm20200 - how could you play ffviii for hours with opengl? the 8 secons to load fight scenes makes opengl more or less unusable in that game (which sucks).

It was a while ago but I think I did, I have a lot of patience when it comes to good games. If it wasn't it was definitely FFIX which gives me about 20FPS on the battle swirls so the wait isn't incredibly long. I've completed both Disc 1 and 2 on FFIX entirely with OpenGL. The funny thing is on FFIX if I have the audio on with low brightness I can actually use so much of my battery that charging my phone only decreases the time it takes for my battery to fully discharge because it can't give my phone more power than it is using :lol:
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro

mzhussein

Postby mzhussein » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:17 pm

im currently reading through what's in your sig...

I'm sure my tablet can handle it, quad core 1.6...i would really like to play street fighter using openGL...it does look miles better!

is it just because fpse isn't multi-core optimised that it doesn't do so well?

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Feel free to post in that thread.

No, I don't think its because its not multi core optimized, although more processing power does seem to help it run better. If/when FPSE does get better optimized for multi core it should help.

I think the issue is more of a problem with the current hardware and the plugin itself. The plugin is written for OpenGL, not OpenGL ES (which is what our phones support). They're similar, and largely compatible I believe, but not quite the same.

Also, schtruck's implementation of the PEOpS OpenGL plugin leaves out some of the more fine grained settings which you can set that allow for better / different compatibility. That can be a good thing - the number of settings is already pretty overwhelming. That's why I wrote my post. But to give us the ability to use the plugin better more options are needed.

Finally, if you read the section of my post where it talks about my testing you'll see that OpenGL just isn't always the best option. On my laptop ff8 runs terrible with OpenGL, but fantastic with directX and OpenGL 2 (I didn't mention OpenGL 2 in my post). That could be an issue with the hardware in my laptop ... But it could also be that some games just don't work well with the plugin. Upcoming hardware will be supporting directX I believe. Some current hardware supports OpenGL 2 ... Though its OpenGL 2 ES, but again it should be mostly compatible. I believe future hardware will support it natively (not the ES version).

You've tested street fighter alpha with open gl and its much better? I tested a street fighter game (can't remember which) and it was different, but not significantly better. Do you have the ability to post screen shots? I'd like to see. If so toy can post here or in my open gl thread.

mzhussein

Postby mzhussein » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:23 pm

bluezeak wrote:Feel free to post in that thread.

No, I don't think its because its not multi core optimized, although more processing power does seem to help it run better. If/when FPSE does get better optimized for multi core it should help.

I think the issue is more of a problem with the current hardware and the plugin itself. The plugin is written for OpenGL, not OpenGL ES (which is what our phones support). They're similar, and largely compatible I believe, but not quite the same.

Also, schtruck's implementation of the PEOpS OpenGL plugin leaves out some of the more fine grained settings which you can set that allow for better / different compatibility. That can be a good thing - the number of settings is already pretty overwhelming. That's why I wrote my post. But to give us the ability to use the plugin better more options are needed.

Finally, if you read the section of my post where it talks about my testing you'll see that OpenGL just isn't always the best option. On my laptop ff8 runs terrible with OpenGL, but fantastic with directX and OpenGL 2 (I didn't mention OpenGL 2 in my post). That could be an issue with the hardware in my laptop ... But it could also be that some games just don't work well with the plugin. Upcoming hardware will be supporting directX I believe. Some current hardware supports OpenGL 2 ... Though its OpenGL 2 ES, but again it should be mostly compatible. I believe future hardware will support it natively (not the ES version).

You've tested street fighter alpha with open gl and its much better? I tested a street fighter game (can't remember which) and it was different, but not significantly better. Do you have the ability to post screen shots? I'd like to see. If so toy can post here or in my open gl thread.

hmm ok, i understand...i really hope i can use it in the future.

as you asked, i managed to includ two screen shots, you can probably guess which is which! (first is softGPU second is OpenGL)...
Attachments
Screenshot_2012-08-14-19-16-45.jpg
Screenshot_2012-08-14-19-16-45.jpg (1002.9 KiB) Viewed 12916 times
Screenshot_2012-08-14-19-15-37.jpg
Screenshot_2012-08-14-19-15-37.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 12916 times

Return to “General Discussion”