First Impressions: Asus transformer, PS3 wireless controller

typci
Primary Device: Asus Transformer

First Impressions: Asus transformer, PS3 wireless controller

Postby typci » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:26 pm

I have an Asus Transformer, and a wireless PS3 controller via Sixaxis Controller app

After fiddling with Fpse for a couple of hours, here is my impression:

Menus are very buggy:
Most settings have trouble saving - took me 3 try tries to get Country - Europe to save, other settings are hit and miss
Controller input settings never save - Every time I load Fpse I have to re-input the controller settings under "Hardware keys"
- Please fix this!!!!

Controls are OK:
Once the controls are mapped, they work pretty much as expected
No analog emulation for digital keys = I can't play ape escape with my wireless PS3 controller, bummer.
Definitely needs analog emulation for digital key presses
I might be able to find a work around for the analog with Sixaxis Controller app, not sure. Still getting used to the app

Audio - Sometime great, sometimes not so great
The audio appears tied into the frame rate - if Frameskip is on, it also appears to skip the audio, resulting in choppy audio
When games run at full frame rate, the audio is pretty good.

Games seem to work just fine
Games appear to be working just as they should, nothing spectacular, nothing bad, which is a very good thing.
Performance seems a little slow, but that could be the Transformer not having enough CPU power, or Fpse.

This post may not seem negative, but it is really not. Any problems I didn't experience means they are not there, which means a lot of things work great. It's hard to find things that are working correctly, because if they are working correctly, you should never notice they are there. I also know this is a relatively new app, and Android is a new operating system. It takes time to get things to work correctly.

I am very satisfied with Fpse. But getting the menu to save the controller settings and adding analog emulation would go a long way to making even more satisfied and telling more people about Fpse (hint, hint). A playstation emulator without a proper control setup kills the fun outright.

typci

Re: First Impressions: Asus transformer, PS3 wireless contro

Postby typci » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:53 am

Plugging in a usb game pad works great. No doubt about it.

However, sitting in a cramped seat between 4 other people on an international flight with a 10 foot wire hanging out of the side of your Transformer isn't cool.
That's why I have a PS3 wireless controller.

typci

Re: First Impressions: Asus transformer, PS3 wireless contro

Postby typci » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:17 am

I'll check out the controller. One of my biggest problems is I'm an American living in China. If it is manufactured in China, there is a good chance I can get it. If not, then I'm out of luck. I originally wanted the datel retro wireless controller, but I can't find it here in China. I got the sixaxis, because I trust 360 and PS3 genuine name brand controllers. Every third party controller I've ever bought for any system/PC just never felt like it had the quality of 360 and PS3 controllers. I also got the sixaxis with hope that in the next year or two, higher end emulators (xbox, PS2, gamecube) and such would start coming out and those would require the analog sticks and all the extra buttons. But I'm definitely happy with FPse.

Also, I'm hearing that analog doesn't work with any controller except by those specifically supported by FPse, is this true?

Found the Dicota controller here in China, but it is $30, same cost as a new sixaxis. I'll have to look around for a better price

Return to “General Discussion”