Fpse for Android News

phrozen087
Primary Device: Droid 2
Operating System: Android 2.2
ROM: Liberty v1.5

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby phrozen087 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:05 pm

crualfoxhound wrote:does any1 know were the memory cards are located for fpse.

be awsome if someone could explain it to me.
thanks.

If you are looking for the default card locations here you go:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2034&p=19668#p19668

There is also some info about embedding a bios and memorycards in my other post here (at the bottom):
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2034&p=19033#p19033

Note: You will need root to get into this folder and should probably use an app such as either RootExplorer or Astro. You can also get in using the ADB command line.

gaialili
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S III
ROM: Rom stock SFR

Postby gaialili » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Hello, a little feedback. Sorry for my english.
Bloodomen bug. He repeats certain sounds and voices indefinitely and finally bug.
Heart of Darkness does not work, black screen after the cutscene.
Herc's Adventures does not work, stuck on loading after choosing a character.
In grandia, he also repeated several times voices but don't bug like bloodomen.

crualfoxhound
Addict
Primary Device: Galaxy note 9 exynos
Operating System: Android 9
ROM: Galaxy note 9 exynos

Postby crualfoxhound » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:26 pm

phrozen087

thanks for the info on memory card location.

but my phone is stock.
on psx4droid to find the memory card was easy.
it was in psx4droid in the sd card

i guess i will have to wait for schtruck to look into this for stock android users
to get access
to memory cards.
its a shame cos i would love to copy my psx4droid memory to fpse
thanks again.

cya...
Galaxy note 9 exynos

Majestic123
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: HTC Desire
ROM: eMiui

Postby Majestic123 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:35 pm

max3000 wrote:Once you get everything figured out it stops frustrating you. There's a high bar for entry if you want to make games run smooth but it's worth it.
I'm playing a lot of games at full speed and I find it really enjoyable. Although I wish the GUI was similar to Gameboid/SNESoid.
From what I've heard, the next version is going to be awesome.

I'm used to working with far more complex stuff than a simple PSX emulator ;) Winuae and DOSBox make this look like Paint next to Photoshop (which is a good thing, really).

But it's just needless confusion that creates frustration where there shouldn't be any. Save settings should save all settings, not some. Restarting the app should forget all the changes to the configuration (the Marketplace already shows some complaints about that too) - and after you change a setting that wants a reboot, make the app ask for a reboot. It's these small touches that make a program friendly and fun to use.

Also, when loading an ISO, ask for the ISO to be started (i.e. reboot the system) - I can guarantee you that a lot of people will be loading an ISO and wondering why they see a black screen. Every other emulator bar a few immediately load a ROM/ISO or have a "boot" button. "Reboot" is not exactly clear in that respect.

And since the software is still being heavily developed, I can understand the lack of a real help page but some basic pointers would be a big help as well.

And, of course, I hope for second thumb pad support soon :p

gormie84
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S i-9000
Operating System: Android 2.2.1
ROM: Voodoo 5 lagfix

Postby gormie84 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:48 pm

crualfoxhound wrote:phrozen087

but my phone is stock.

i guess i will have to wait for schtruck to look into this for stock android users
to get access
to memory cards.
thanks again.

u can, because i did... i just changed the psx4droid .mcr files into .mcd files using windows explorer they work just fine as memory cards of fpse you just have to point the app to the right directory for the memory cards, dunno about your existing save files with psx4droid... might work i didnt have any data on mine because psx4droid just become unplayable

laters.

xaviorffviii
Primary Device: Droid X, Sony Tablet S
ROM: Liberty 1.5 Rooted 1.3 Ghz

Postby xaviorffviii » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:33 pm

LouCipher wrote:
Phaedrus Nine wrote:I had a look at the FFIX slowdown vid, it's quite interesting to see. And it does slow emulation down a lot, I wonder what it could be related to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0pjBTl1C5I

It's the same for most square games. Same thing with text dialog boxes in those games. Square did some kind of funky coding with their dialog boxes, used to give fits on pc emus back in the day. If I understand it correctly, the dialog boxes involve a large number of very small framebuffer reads and writes. There's a fast workaround that can be implemented for that so the emu ignores very small framebuffer requests below a particular threshold. Could be implemented as a special game fix sort of thing?

Any Idea when this could be turned into a fix? It's really the only reason why I still use psx4droidv1.7 for FF(Which I'd rather switch to FPSE permanently) If it wasn't a huge part of the game I'd just ignore it, but since battles happen all the time, It's really sad.

Shtruck I need you!

max3000

Postby max3000 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:39 pm

xaviorffviii wrote:
LouCipher wrote:
Phaedrus Nine wrote:I had a look at the FFIX slowdown vid, it's quite interesting to see. And it does slow emulation down a lot, I wonder what it could be related to.

It's the same for most square games. Same thing with text dialog boxes in those games. Square did some kind of funky coding with their dialog boxes, used to give fits on pc emus back in the day. If I understand it correctly, the dialog boxes involve a large number of very small framebuffer reads and writes. There's a fast workaround that can be implemented for that so the emu ignores very small framebuffer requests below a particular threshold. Could be implemented as a special game fix sort of thing?

Any Idea when this could be turned into a fix? It's really the only reason why I still use psx4droidv1.7 for FF(Which I'd rather switch to FPSE permanently) If it wasn't a huge part of the game I'd just ignore it, but since battles happen all the time, It's really sad.

Shtruck I need you!

Wow, it's kind of weird this runs slower than my Milestone OC'd to 900mhz.

xaviorffviii
Primary Device: Droid X, Sony Tablet S
ROM: Liberty 1.5 Rooted 1.3 Ghz

Postby xaviorffviii » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:35 pm

max3000 wrote:
xaviorffviii wrote:
LouCipher wrote:

Shtruck I need you!

Wow, it's kind of weird this runs slower than my Milestone OC'd to 900mhz.

Does FFIX run faster in battle for you? It only effects it when screen filtering is on(which is important for a lot of people).

xenkw0n
Primary Device: HTC Incredible

Postby xenkw0n » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:36 pm

gormie84 wrote:

but my phone is stock.

to get access
to memory cards.
thanks again.

u can, because i did... i just changed the psx4droid .mcr files into .mcd files using windows explorer they work just fine as memory cards of fpse you just have to point the app to the right directory for the memory cards, dunno about your existing save files with psx4droid... might work i didnt have any data on mine because psx4droid just become unplayable

laters.

Yes...

All you have to do is point the FPse memory card location to your pre-existing psx4droid memory card directory. Make sure you renamed the cards to .mcd instead of the psx4droid default, .mcr, and everything should work. I have continued my games from psx4droid to FPse flawlessly doing this.

phrozen087
Primary Device: Droid 2
Operating System: Android 2.2
ROM: Liberty v1.5

Postby phrozen087 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:43 pm

but my phone is stock.

to get access
to memory cards.
thanks again.

cya...

Yea you can definitely do this. I simply embedded mine inside the app but that isn't necessary. While you can rename them and it will read them as MCR if you want to do a native conversion you can follow these steps (the rename does work, but I prefer native formats... just me):

1) Go grab Memory Converter - All in one from its homepage: http://www.aldostools.com/memcards.html
2) Just drag the card in and output it as a *.mcd card. Do this for both cards.
1-2b) You can also rename the cards (as gormie84 mentioned) and FPSE seems to read the epsxe format with no issues. At this point I am not sure what exactly the difference is in formats and how they are treated. I do know that there appears to be a difference in the internal data structure between MCD and MCR for whatever its worth and since FPSE natively uses MCDs thats why I converted mine.
3) Copy the new cards to a folder on your SD card. Make sure the folder isn't "hidden." This means make sure it doesn't have a '.' at the beginning. '.folder' is hidden whereas 'folder' is not hidden.
4) Load up FPSE and go to System and scroll down.
5) Select each card (slot1 and 2) and set them to the MCDs you copied to your phone.

If you saved anything to the FPSE internal cards you would need root or ADB to copy those files out. If you are simply using different cards (i.e. the psx4droid ones) you don't need root.

Edit: As a side note if you are looking for Aldo's tool to easily manage the contents of a memory card you can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?m4ryinjjlfu. The converter downloads seem to be ok, but his manager download link looks broken (I imagine the site hasn't been updated in many years).

Return to “News”