Fpse for Android News

Malsa
Primary Device: SE X10i
Operating System: Android 2.2

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby Malsa » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Installed the latest update - BIG improvement on my rooted X10i with custom 2.2! :D
FF9 runs a lot better, sounds are good too - but the battle menu isn't visible at all! I hope you are able to fix that in the near future.
Cut-scenes are not perfect, still some lag. Item/Ability/Status menu in FF9 is slower than rest of the game.
Anti-aliasing, as mentioned, would be a nice option to have. :)
It would be great if you could add START and SELECT buttons on the screen in landscape mode, also R1 & R2 and L1 & L2 of course.
Last edited by Malsa on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phaedrus Nine
Global Moderator
Primary Device: HTC HD 2 (Leo)
Operating System: 6.5.X (5.2.23549)
ROM: Miri HD2 6.5.X V10

Postby Phaedrus Nine » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:33 pm

Malsa wrote:Installed the latest update - BIG improvement on my rooted X10i with custom 2.2! :D
FF9 runs a lot better, sounds are good too - but the battle menu isn't visible at all! I hope you are able to fix that in the near future.
Cut-scenes are not perfect, still some lag.
Anti-aliasing, as mentioned, would be a nice option to have. :)
It would be great if you could add START and SELECT buttons on the screen in landscape mode, also R1 & R2 and L1 & L2 of course.

If you've got framskip on, the battle menu isn't visible in FFIX.
The other buttons are available in landscape, go to SETTINGS/INPUT/TOUCHSCREEN then it will give you a list of overlays to draw.
"Learn everything about something, and something about everything"
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhaedrusNine

Malsa
Primary Device: SE X10i
Operating System: Android 2.2

Postby Malsa » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Ok I tried without frameskip.
Now cut-scenes don't have any sound at all, but also no lag.
Sounds are once again kind of strange, especially noticeable in the menus. The classic *twink!* sounds like *tap*. :P Some other sound effects are off too.
Battle menus are indeed visible without frameskip, but battles are also really slow without it.
I get a force close when pressing "Touchscreen" in SETTINGS/INPUT/

Thanks for the help nevertheless.

veryevil
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Google Nexus S

Postby veryevil » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Hey, really loving this now. Playing Final Fantasy VII and its working great on Google Nexus S (android 2.3.2).

To get it working I have to turn off the frame limiter, disable the overlay and set the frame skip to anything but off although +30 works best.

Only problems I get now are the fight swirl animation is skipped (not a big deal) and if frame skip is on any setting other than off the hand pointer during battles doesn't work so enemies cannot be selected. It only works when frame skip is off but when frame skip is off fights become unbearably slow!

The top left part of the battle menu shows a little square of the section of the screen where the enemy is like a little preview window but no hand appears.

If this could be fixed then this will be the best thing since sliced bread.

Cheers for all your had work
Love it
Steven

Phaedrus Nine
Global Moderator
Primary Device: HTC HD 2 (Leo)
Operating System: 6.5.X (5.2.23549)
ROM: Miri HD2 6.5.X V10

Postby Phaedrus Nine » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:20 pm

More tests:

Future Cop LAPD - very slow in landscape, sound works well though.
Point Blank - I have no idea how to set the A or B buttons so can't progress. They don't seem to be assignable to hardware.
Silen Hill - No idea why, but the landscape overlays and portrait pad just don't work well at all with this game.

Boost mode just won't work, which was a big help with FpseCE running games like future cop and metal gear. Most games are very slow in landscape for me. Maybe I should switch to NAND, if it helps.

I'm with frenchaddict, I miss the fps counter.
"Learn everything about something, and something about everything"
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhaedrusNine

Therev
Primary Device: HTC Incredible / Omnia I910
ROM: CM7

Postby Therev » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:26 pm

Finally Tekken 3 full speed :) enabled hle, set frame skip to 40 , smooth as butter, nice work schtruck!! Loving it

Edit: can't really compare but bof4 is running great. Loads better than Psx4droid

max3000

Postby max3000 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:46 pm

Everyone who's on android 2.1:

Try and look for a custom 2.2 ROM. I'm on a milestone and running cyanogenmod 6.1.2 which is awesome. I bet if you look in XDA developers you will find a 2.2 ROM for your phone.
It won't just make FPSE better, it'll make your phone significantly better in a lot of ways.

schtruck: Thank you for the hard work. I hope the fix for the configuration crashing will come soon because I cannot turn off the overlays and other things as well.
As far as the emulation goes - almost perfect!

pusha06
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Android

Postby pusha06 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:49 pm

max3000 wrote:Everyone who's on android 2.1:

Try and look for a custom 2.2 ROM. I'm on a milestone and running cyanogenmod 6.1.2 which is awesome. I bet if you look in XDA developers you will find a 2.2 ROM for your phone.
It won't just make FPSE better, it'll make your phone significantly better in a lot of ways.

schtruck: Thank you for the hard work. I hope the fix for the configuration crashing will come soon because I cannot turn off the overlays and other things as well.
As far as the emulation goes - almost perfect!

sadly, not all phones have custom 2.2 roms...
some of us are hopelessly stuck on 2.1 :(

xaviorffviii
Primary Device: Droid X, Sony Tablet S
Operating System: Android 2.2.1
ROM: Liberty 1.5 Rooted 1.3 Ghz

Postby xaviorffviii » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:15 pm

Droid X 2.2 Rooted at 1.3Ghz

FFIX

Problems so far

-FMVs / No sound, but video looks like it plays smoothly
-In-game sound effects / Off by about a quarter of a second
-With frame-skip "on" / In battle menus disappear (Something similar happens with frame-skip in FFVIII during intro with credits)
-Frame skip "on at 50" / Gameplay becomes rough around the edges as far as smoothness.

Unfortunately can't get the best of both worlds of smooth gameplay/sound, and nice visuals.
These are the settings I used to get good speed, and visuals when "allowed".

This is with HLE mode / off

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FFIX walking around "Outside of Battle"

spu sync / off
frame limiter / off
frame skip / 50
screen filtering / on
screen size / full screen (tried with 3/4 with no noticeable speed differences, so full screen is pref)

Works smoothly with sound and video (though there are missing frames because frame skip is on, and is noticeable, which I'm not thrilled about)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FFIX "In Battle"

Spu sync / off
frame limiter / on
frame skip / off or low
screen filtering / off
screen size / full screen (tried with 3/4 with no noticeable speed differences, so full screen is pref)

Works "alright", not great.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having to switch between settings for every battle is not ideal.
Not to mention in battle you have to drop the visuals a lot, and that makes it not that great to look at, or play.
Psx4droid v1.7 does better for FFIX "at the moment". I feel FPse will work better in the long run though. I just hope the updates come sooner than later!

I'm going to wait for updates to check FFVIII further, but I'm sure FPse works better for FFVIII since psx4droid had a LOT of problems.
-Dave
Last edited by xaviorffviii on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kokotas
Primary Device: hd2

Postby kokotas » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:16 pm

Tested on hd2 running mdj revolution froyo latest rom, oc'ed to 1500mhz. I tried crash bandicoot 3 and alundra. Both games run pretty smooth, and even exceed 50fps if I remove the limiter. Three things I noticed:

1) Crash Bandicoot ran faster when using HLE instead of bios (or so I think).
2) Multitouch stopped responding when trying to press UP+square,DOWN+square, LEFT+x,RIGHT+x. Basically I cound jump left or right :P That could be because of hd2's multitouch issues though.
3)G-sensor didn't quite work.

Return to “News”