Fpse for Android News

Idiotekque
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:43 am
Primary Device: Galaxy S3
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock 4.3

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby Idiotekque » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:18 am

otakuloser wrote:Yeah i get the same impression from using the software plugin shaders, like trying to polish a turd. :lol: Although, I suppose it's a nice feature to port over for people who can't get decent speeds with the opengl hi-def mode. I just wish it was possible to add shaders to the hi-def plugin, but i believe the regular ogl plugin is unable to support shaders because it's gl/es 1.x based. I think the experimental plugin is 2.x based though, so maybe sometime in the future.

Like i said above, I think the regular plugin is a much optimized port from the old pc emulation days of Pete's/P.E.Op.S. opengl plugin which is gl 1.x based. The experimental plugin might be based on the marginally newer gl/es 2.x specification; and probably written from scratch as Pete has never open-sourced his ogl2 plugin, but I could be completely off-base. Either way, I don't think Schtruck has been working as much on the experimental plugin as he has with the regular hi-def and software plugins, so it's probably not as optimized, but again, I could be wrong.


I'm just really confused about Schtruck saying the OpenGL plug-in is updated and running faster AND looking better when I can see zero difference whatsoever. The graphics are great, but they were great before. There's no change there, and since like you said, you can't add shaders to OpenGL, there's no change there.

As far as speed goes... I don't know. If the change suddenly let me use multiple cores, I should be seeing a relatively dramatic increase in speed, let alone SOME change. I could go back to the last version and things would run exactly the same.

Am I the only one seeing no change?

otakuloser
Junior Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:12 am
Primary Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Operating System: Android 4.3
ROM: Stock - rooted

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby otakuloser » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:51 am

Nope. I haven't seen any real speed improvements in the last several versions on either my 2012 Nexus 7 or my Note 3; But then again, both seem to run Final Fantasy IX at full speed anyways as long as I use frame skipping. So I'm not suprised I haven't noticed any improvements. For you, it probably all comes down to that Mali gpu you're packing.

Idiotekque
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:43 am
Primary Device: Galaxy S3
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock 4.3

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby Idiotekque » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:58 am

otakuloser wrote:Nope. I haven't seen any real speed improvements in the last several versions on either my 2012 Nexus 7 or my Note 3; But then again, both seem to run Final Fantasy IX at full speed anyways as long as I use frame skipping. So I'm not suprised I haven't noticed any improvements. For you, it probably all comes down to that Mali gpu you're packing.


Hm, what do you consider full speed? The game still runs at the right speed with frameskip, but you can see the choppiness between the skipped frames. Are the Nexus 7 and Note 3 that much better for emulating than the Galaxy S3?

otakuloser
Junior Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:12 am
Primary Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Operating System: Android 4.3
ROM: Stock - rooted

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby otakuloser » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:26 am

Idiotekque wrote:Hm, what do you consider full speed? The game still runs at the right speed with frameskip, but you can see the choppiness between the skipped frames. Are the Nexus 7 and Note 3 that much better for emulating than the Galaxy S3?


I don't experience very noticable choppiness on either device, but maybe i've just learned to ignore it. Also, I haven't been following much of the development progress for a while, but i thought Mali GPUs were some of the more troublesome for Fpse to work with (one of the others being the older Adreno 2xx series), while the PowerVR and Tegra gpus worked better.
Last edited by otakuloser on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Idiotekque
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:43 am
Primary Device: Galaxy S3
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock 4.3

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby Idiotekque » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:29 am

otakuloser wrote:I don't experience very noticable choppienss on either device, but maybe i've just learned to ignore it. Also, I haven't been following much of the development progress for a while, but i tought Mali gpus were some of the more troublesome for fpse to work with (one of the others being the old Adreno 2xx series), while the PowerVR and Tegra gpus worked better.


Huh... that sucks. If Mali GPUs just suck then maybe these updates aren't even going to make a difference for me.

Still, I would think the multicore change would do... something.

otakuloser
Junior Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:12 am
Primary Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Operating System: Android 4.3
ROM: Stock - rooted

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby otakuloser » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:01 am

Idiotekque wrote:Huh... that sucks. If Mali GPUs just suck then maybe these updates aren't even going to make a difference for me.

Still, I would think the multicore change would do... something.


Well, the Malis and Adrenos don't suck per se, I think the companies behind them are just quickly releasing crappy drivers with little support (according to this much cited Dolphin development article anyway: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09/26/dolphin-emulator-and-opengl-drivers-hall-fameshame.) The multi-core CPU improvements won't really help much if it's 3D GPU hardware/driver issues that are keeping the performance down. It'll probably help you out a lot in the software modes though. So, I think your kinda stuck with the butt-ugly graphics of software mode until schtruck comes out with the Hi-Def software rendering he was talking about.

Idiotekque
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:43 am
Primary Device: Galaxy S3
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock 4.3

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby Idiotekque » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:30 am

otakuloser wrote:
Idiotekque wrote:Huh... that sucks. If Mali GPUs just suck then maybe these updates aren't even going to make a difference for me.

Still, I would think the multicore change would do... something.


Well, the Malis and Adrenos don't suck per se, I think the companies behind them are just quickly releasing crappy drivers with little support (according to this much cited Dolphin development article anyway: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09/26/dolphin-emulator-and-opengl-drivers-hall-fameshame.) The multi-core CPU improvements won't really help much if it's 3D GPU hardware/driver issues that are keeping the performance down. It'll probably help you out a lot in the software modes though. So, I think your kinda stuck with the butt-ugly graphics of software mode until schtruck comes out with the Hi-Def software rendering he was talking about.


Guess so. All I can do is wait.

User avatar
schtruck
Site Admin
Posts: 1946
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:52 am
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: WM 6.5.1 21869
ROM: 1.66
Location: PARIS
Contact:

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby schtruck » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:56 pm

HD software rendering is mostly complete, i want to add shaders on it and add a new shader, the famous bayer dithering.

SO expect a beta shortly, surely tomorow.

the HD soft rendering is doing a great job....

danfozzy
Junior Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:38 am
Primary Device: note 3 and note 10.1 (2014)
Operating System: Android
ROM: stock

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby danfozzy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:08 pm

I'm constantly getting license check failings on the latest beta, cleared data, no joy. Cleared cache, no joy. Even uninstalled and reinstalled. Still fails

Idiotekque
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:43 am
Primary Device: Galaxy S3
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock 4.3

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby Idiotekque » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:19 pm

You work fast! Your customers definitely appreciate the effort. Looking forward to the update and playing with HD software mode. Fingers crossed it works out for me.


Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest