Fpse for Android News

Kayann
Primary Device: Huawei Mediapad/Springboard
Operating System: Android 4.0.3
ROM: Stock Firmware/ROM

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby Kayann » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:31 am

Re. 11.40

With the software gpu it all seems to be running well. However the screen filtering 'issues' seem to have taken a step backwards...

Previously screen filtering was forced on and ignored the setting if run in multi-core mode. Disabling hardware acceleration or forcing mono-core mode removed it and allowed it to be manually toggled.
With the latest version screen filtering appears to be forced on permenantly and can not be disabled, even by disabling hardware acceleration. The only way to get around this is to revert to the old method via the misc menu, and then force mono-core...
While I haven't done an exact side by side comparison between old and new, screen filtering still looks to me like a blur filter has simply been applied to everything... I'd like to be able to disable it as the options suggest I can.

Edzward
Primary Device: xperia x10 Mini pro
Operating System: Android
ROM: MiniCM9

Postby Edzward » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:28 am

Preliminary results:

Well, where should I start...

Castlevania SotN: No apparent improvement. It ran at full speed and very smooth in previous versions anyway.
Vagrant Story: Very noticeable improvement both in speed and sound.
FF7: HUGE improvement! In graphics, speed and sound. Running at 80fps(!!) if framelimiter is off. The strange sounds (like "the hand sound") are now far better if not perfect.
Shiritsu Justice Gakuen: Nekketsu Seishun Nikki 2 (aka Rival Schools 2): Improved, but still choppy. BGM still bad.
Suikoden 2: Good FPS jump! From 45~48 to full speed 60+. Better sound quality.
Deception 3 (aka Kagero 3): Better in Game, strangely the menu had a drastic FPS drop, to ~20.
FFT: Improved. Some effects are now faster and with better sound.
FF9: The opening sequence is running at 90+fps on my X10 Mini!!! Full speed at map, around 70 at battles. Sound is perfect now!

All games tested using the same config, Boost Mode, Enhanced 3D, hardware acceleration, frameskip.

I'll test later with some "You-must-read-japanese" games that I have playing.

Hardware used for test:
xPeria X10 Mini oc at 748mhz, adreno 200, with MiniCM9 by nobodyAtall on XDA Developers Forum.

I will test tomorrow using others hardware, a HTC Sensation and a Galaxy Tab P1000L.

I'll take some comparative screenshots on Sensation.

Thanks again schtruck! :D

sahwal

Postby sahwal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:33 am

Fpse 0.11.40 does not save Force Landscape Orientation.

Whenever i start fpse, my setting revert to Portrait.

And each rom's select memcard setting does not preserve.

is it intended?

Sorry for my bad english. :)

Always thanks for ur update.

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Postby bluezeak » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:10 am

Schtruck, I was going to send you a PM, but I'll post here:

games tested - ff7, 9, chrono chross. only did minimal testing in games.

audio in FF7 & 9 - SO much better. It's still not perfect, but it's as good or better than it was before.
audio in bios splash screen is a bit off, spusync makes it ALMOST perfect. it was like this before though - same.

opengl2 blitter
[/list]
- amazingly fast. chrono chross has a slowdown when opening the menu screen. the new blitter with filtering is FASTER than the old mode without filtering turned on (forced monocore). That blew me away (very impressed). FF7 was 60 fps walking around town, 38 with filtering on in old mode. amazing.
- cannot turn off filtering
- hardware acceleration won't turn on. I have android 2.3.4, I think I can't use it, which is why it won't turn on (I can check it, but it won't stay on).
[/list]

backups - I never tested how the backups worked after you changed the location of save games. The only thing that got backed up were the individual game ini files. I didn't see any log files, or generic configuration files. I think there should be more files in the backup.

opengl - seemed same as before - I didn't test much.

general:
    - for mem card and other settings to 'stick' I had to set them, then choose "save as default". Before I did that every time I went to load a game or mem card, it was trying to load from "/".
    - I didn't check screen sizes (4/3 original, small, etc).
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

Kethus
Primary Device: Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
Operating System: Android

Postby Kethus » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:31 am

At first I thought it wont save changes like Hardware acceleration, but if I quit and start again after each change it saves them. But now when I try to Select savestate path I get the message "Unfortunately FPse has stopped." (rough translation). I managed to select a path the first time, when I read things in this forum I tried to do it again just in case and the message started appearing. For now it appears the memcards and savestates are saved in the locations I specified, while in the fpsebackup folder there are just the .cfg files.

zschigi2
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S2
Operating System: Android 2.3.3

Postby zschigi2 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:46 am

Unfortunately F1 Championship Season 2000 (EA) still freezes at loadingscreen after the intro. :(

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:01 am

screen resolution - let me reply to comments posted above:

it is my undrestanding that there are two basic types of graphics: raster and vector. Kayann said some graphics can't be helped - "low quality textures" - those would be raster graphics. Vector graphics can be increased in size with no loss of resolution. Rastor graphics cannot. There are methods they can be increased in size without it looking terribly stretched, but it's not easy. Pete (working with oters) came up with some methods. 2xSai, and a few others, allowed the screen to be strecthed without a terrible loss in graphics. Play EPSXE on the PC with his emulators (specifically the opengl plugin) and you will see those options.

I don't know about Wii or PS2 emulators - I stopped following emulators .... years ago. I believe that many / most PS2 and (expecially) Wii games are done with vector graphics. However, you Kayann mentioned already that increasing the graphics without hardware acceleration is VERY difficult.

It is my understanding (which could be wrong) that the psx software emulator takes the 3d rendered graphics in their original display and treats them as 'raster'. it can draw them in higher resolution, but they will be 'streteched'.

The opengl plugin takes 3d graphics and actually RErenders them. it puts them in HIGHER resolution than they were originally. As Kayann noted, other emulators can do this with other systems, but I as I said above they must use hardware acceleration (like openGL) or they run too slow. and raster graphcs are still a problem.

Finally, you should realize that fpse IS rendering games in higher resolution. android devices come with different size screenes - 800x480 to 1200x960 (that I know of, I'm sure there's more). It has to increase the game's original graphics to fill up MUCH larger screens - specifically it has to stretch the graphics to these larger sizes. What we would all like is for the emulator to RErender the original graphics. To make them BETTER than they were before. sometimes this is possible, with a plugin that allows hardware acceleration, but even then there are problems because you have to work with what was originally provided. and the problems schtruck has now is the SAME problems pete faced before - hardware that wasn't quite good enough, and problems with drivers. As I've said in a previous post, the hardware we have now is pretty good (higer end stuff) but the drivers for it are often not good. Also, as I said before, schtuck is doing the work of 5 people. on the pc, pete (and others) did all the work with the video plugin, others did sound, others did the emulator, others worked on the CD plugin and gamepad plugins (though later the cd plugin and gamepad got rolled into the emulator). ideally, someone else would be writing code for the video and sound emulation. Schtruck is doing a FANTASTIC job (IMHO).

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:04 am

I forgot to test the savestate path. It does a force close for me as well.

Schtruck, I mentioned this to you in my results for the beta test.

schtruck
Site Admin
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: WM 6.5.1 21869
ROM: 1.66

Postby schtruck » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:33 am

argh i thought i fixed it, will include a fix for next version.

Tumalu
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy SII

Postby Tumalu » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:47 am

schtruck wrote:argh i thought i fixed it, will include a fix for next version.

Great job schtruck! Most games work flawlessly again for me now on this version in opengl2 software mode. Old software did not test yet. However I can confirm both savestates and force landscape options do not save! Hope you implement fix soon. Thanks! Doing much better now!
Last edited by Tumalu on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News”