Fpse for Android News

rincewind
Primary Device: droid x
Operating System: none
ROM: stock

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby rincewind » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:48 am

Thanks to the help of phrozen, I figured out the enemy select glitch. With the limiter off and the frameskip set to 30 (and 35, I didnt try the rest), the game runs fast, but the glitch occurs. By turning on the limiter and off the frameskip, the battles run with a fraction of a lag, but the enemy select now works perfectly. And I also lost my saves with the new update, but had also fortunately saved in game. But I've got a feeling you may be getting some angry posts from people who lost their saves. Thanks for all the help guys, and keep up the great work.
Last edited by rincewind on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Exclaymation
Primary Device: HTC Desire
ROM: TME 2.5

Postby Exclaymation » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:56 am

Hey, this emulator is great.

One thing I noticed is that after the latest update, I am not able to map the back key as one of the buttons. I am playing Xenogears and I used to use the back key as jump on my HTC Desire. Has anyoene else noticed that? It would be really cool to have this ability back, but I am aware that the dev must be crazy busy.

Thanks heaps for the great work.

dabomb224
Primary Device: Droid X
ROM: Liberty 1.5

Postby dabomb224 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:00 am

Hi all. So I've recently made the purchase and I'm loving the speed so far. I'm having a few issues though, similar to the ones experienced by others.

1) I'm having serious issues with terrible sound and music reproduction in Final Fantasy 7. This affects both FMV sounds and in-game sounds. Music notes are chopped off and in-game sounds are terribly emulated.

For reference, I am running a .bin/.cue version of the game. I tried the fix posted earlier, by setting Frameskip to 40 FPS and turning on SPU Sync. This made no difference at all.

2) FMV videos in many other games don't seem to have any audio at all. I have tested this on FF8 and Chrono Cross. No music or sound during videos.

3) My speed reproduction in FF7 and other RPGs is very solid, and I can run the games at full speed without any Frame Skipping on. With Screen Filtering and Frameskip set to 10, I can get extremely smooth gameplay, but I do get some decent graphical stuttering upon entering and exiting battles. Is this something that could potentially be smoothed out in future updates? A Frameskip of only 10 seems a bit light to experience such heavy skips (game will go from extremely fast and smooth play to these occasional heavy stutters).

My phone is a rooted Droid X running Liberty 1.5. Speed of gameplay does not seem to be related to the slow or inaccurate sound reproduction, as the game will continue to run at a very fast speed while the sound chops and lags. Please understand that I am very happy with the product thus far, but since these sound troubles were shrugged off in previous posts, I want to make sure that they don't go unaddressed.

EDIT: I just tested the ROMs out with PSX4Droid. The sound reproduction is near perfect with the same ROMs (despite PSX4Droid running them at its usual snail's pace). So now I know that the ROMs aren't the problem.
Last edited by dabomb224 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

LouCipher
Primary Device: TMobile G2
ROM: CM7 RC1

Postby LouCipher » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:05 am

Phaedrus Nine wrote:I had a look at the FFIX slowdown vid, it's quite interesting to see. And it does slow emulation down a lot, I wonder what it could be related to.

It's the same for most square games. Same thing with text dialog boxes in those games. Square did some kind of funky coding with their dialog boxes, used to give fits on pc emus back in the day. If I understand it correctly, the dialog boxes involve a large number of very small framebuffer reads and writes. There's a fast workaround that can be implemented for that so the emu ignores very small framebuffer requests below a particular threshold. Could be implemented as a special game fix sort of thing?

Kameraman
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S i9000
ROM: Darky's 9.2 / SpeedMod K13b Kernel

Postby Kameraman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:07 am

First of all, thanks for making this great emulator.
It is great and performance is much better than psx4droid.
But there are issues for the input system. (I am using 0.10.3 ver. Pad type as Digital, Slide Mode as Left Stick.)
When I am playing 'Street Fighter Ex Plus', it is hard to execute the commands like 'hadoken'.
I found fpse is too sensitive to four direction which are 'UP', 'DOWN','LEFT','RIGHT'.

You can see that from my attached image.

When I execute the command 'hadoken' which the sequences are 'Down'->'Right-Down'->'Right', but fpse will identified it as 'Down'->'Right'->'Right-Down'->'Right' which makes it hard to execute and command. And also the Forward Jump command, it reads 'Up' command before 'Right-Up' which makes it Jump Up instead Jump Forward.
And all of these issues are not found on psx4droid.
If these issues can be fixed, fpse will be perfect.

Thanks foe making a such great emu. :-)

phrozen087
Primary Device: Droid 2
Operating System: Android 2.2
ROM: Liberty v1.5

Postby phrozen087 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:38 am

schtruck wrote:0.10.3 on the market

- Fixed multitouch, more accurate.
- Added Vibration for onscreen virtual keys (in menu Touchscreen)
- Added Timestamp to Savestate, and save slot state.
- Good boost with last SDK.

about FF7 enemy issue, i'm sure you don't use bios

you have surely HLE activated. i have tested myself and enemy can be well selected.

Just downloaded tried v0.10.3 on my Droid 2. Tested a bunch of games including FF7, FF9, Crash 3, Legend of Dragoon, Hydro Thunder and a few others. Performance seems to be greatly improved. I couldn't see any lag at all in most games and the FF9 lag seems to be much less than before. I also tried playing the games using the touchscreen with Dpad and buttons only enabled even though I use the keyboard a lot. I didn't have any issues with the touch keys sticking in any of my tests. Great job on the emulator, the fixes have been amazing!

xaviorffviii
Primary Device: Droid X, Sony Tablet S
Operating System: Android 2.2.1
ROM: Liberty 1.5 Rooted 1.3 Ghz

Postby xaviorffviii » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:45 am

LouCipher wrote:
Phaedrus Nine wrote:I had a look at the FFIX slowdown vid, it's quite interesting to see. And it does slow emulation down a lot, I wonder what it could be related to.

It's the same for most square games. Same thing with text dialog boxes in those games. Square did some kind of funky coding with their dialog boxes, used to give fits on pc emus back in the day. If I understand it correctly, the dialog boxes involve a large number of very small framebuffer reads and writes. There's a fast workaround that can be implemented for that so the emu ignores very small framebuffer requests below a particular threshold. Could be implemented as a special game fix sort of thing?

Excellent! I'm glad it's a previously encountered problem! Lou Cipher thank you.
Hopefully shtruck will be-able to get to it sooner than later, it's really the only thing stopping me from using FPse.,
I think the problem might also effect Legend of Legaia in menus(I haven't done enough testing).

Though that reminds me, in Legend of Legaia, the "in-game load save" loops, preventing me from loading a saved game. very odd.

Thanks to the help of phrozen, I figured out the enemy select glitch. With the limiter off and the frameskip set to 30 (and 35, I didnt try the rest), the game runs another, but the glitch occurs. By turning on the limiter and off the frameskip, the battles run with a fraction of a lag, but the enemy select now works perfectly. And I also lost my saves with the new update, but had also fortunately saved in game. But I've got a feeling you may be getting some angry posts from people who lost their saves. Thanks for all the help guys, and keep up the great work.

The frameskip seems to give FinalFantasys a lot of problems, in IX the battle menu disappears, I'm not sure what it does in VIII but i'm sure it's not good ha.

xenkw0n
Primary Device: HTC Incredible

Postby xenkw0n » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:59 am

xaviorffviii wrote:
Thanks to the help of phrozen, I figured out the enemy select glitch. With the limiter off and the frameskip set to 30 (and 35, I didnt try the rest), the game runs another, but the glitch occurs. By turning on the limiter and off the frameskip, the battles run with a fraction of a lag, but the enemy select now works perfectly. And I also lost my saves with the new update, but had also fortunately saved in game. But I've got a feeling you may be getting some angry posts from people who lost their saves. Thanks for all the help guys, and keep up the great work.

The frameskip seems to give FinalFantasys a lot of problems, in IX the battle menu disappears, I'm not sure what it does in VIII but i'm sure it's not good ha.

Same thing in FFVIII... I just have frameskip disabled at this point with framelimiter on... It runs smooth enough in most parts to not have any big slow-downs effect gameplay.

LouCipher
Primary Device: TMobile G2
ROM: CM7 RC1

Postby LouCipher » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:14 am

Just updated, and speed improvement is considerable. I can now play FF IX with filtering turned on, and it's not too laggy. Still a little slow, and of course the menu slowdown is still there, but it is significantly faster than before. Great work.

Edit: full speed in-battle Chrono Cross. psx4droid just got uninstalled.

HDM
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S
ROM: Froyo

Postby HDM » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:39 am

Three varieties skin v1

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3258 ... hot35v.png

download
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2051&p=19326#p19326

Schtruck

you can try the overlays in 8bit, could mean less impact on performance, try it has nothing to lose.

a greeting
-PSX4FPse- -PadSx3- -Skins For Android-

Return to “News”