Fpse for Android News

Rotkaeqpchen
Enthusiast
Primary Device: Motorola Droid 3
ROM: Stock 2.3.4

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby Rotkaeqpchen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:39 pm

:) you are absolutely right. Lets hope that schtruck will give us an info.

Phaedrus Nine
Global Moderator
Primary Device: HTC HD 2 (Leo)
Operating System: 6.5.X (5.2.23549)
ROM: Miri HD2 6.5.X V10

Postby Phaedrus Nine » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:35 pm

Update for you guys:

Schtruck is waiting on some fixes from LDchen before he releases the new version.
The new framelimiter has been implemented, and works great. Very smooth from what I have tested.

Bad news though, old save-states are impossible to be made compatible with the newer versions of Fpse. So salvaging your saves using old versions and the memory card is the best way.

For those of you asking about OpenGL, Schtruck is currently working on that too.
"Learn everything about something, and something about everything"
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhaedrusNine

hiei
Primary Device: Xperia Play
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock

Postby hiei » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:23 pm

Phaedrus Nine wrote:Update for you guys:

Schtruck is waiting on some fixes from LDchen before he releases the new version.
The new framelimiter has been implemented, and works great. Very smooth from what I have tested.

Bad news though, old save-states are impossible to be made compatible with the newer versions of Fpse. So salvaging your saves using old versions and the memory card is the best way.

For those of you asking about OpenGL, Schtruck is currently working on that too.

Here's a request. Have a link to previous version that works postes in a sticky so people can downgrade to move there saves to memory cards before updating so all there hard work isn't lost. I have an old. 63 veraion that Schtruck sent me that worked perfectly. Id be happy to upload it to megauplaod when I get home and post it.

-hiei

GameBoiye
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Sony Xperia Play - Verizon

Postby GameBoiye » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:32 am

hiei wrote:
Phaedrus Nine wrote:Update for you guys:

Here's a request. Have a link to previous version that works postes in a sticky so people can downgrade to move there saves to memory cards before updating so all there hard work isn't lost. I have an old. 63 veraion that Schtruck sent me that worked perfectly. Id be happy to upload it to megauplaod when I get home and post it.

-hiei

While I could see why you would need that, that would be very bad for Schtruck to do as it would be like giving away his product for free. Best bet is to e-mail him or something. Maybe there's a better way to do it, like having the FPSE itself have a button that downloads an older version to the phone to install. But that would be a lot of work making sure that link couldn't be harvested and passed around. Wish the Google Marketplace had a built in feature for past revisions, would probably make Schtruck's life a whole lot easier.

schtruck
Site Admin
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: WM 6.5.1 21869
ROM: 1.66

Postby schtruck » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:24 am

yes , i confirm, the better is to Put information into Update and Main Presentation screen that FPse 0.10.63 can be asked by email if savestate were made with older version than 0.11?

zdubin
Primary Device: HTC Thunderbolt
ROM: Stock Rom

Postby zdubin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:24 pm

I don't understand how to migrate the old save states to the new version? Would it be possible to have the old version and the new version as two separate apps? This way we could use the old save states and enjoy the benefits of the new version on games we don't have a save state for.

zdubin
Primary Device: HTC Thunderbolt
ROM: Stock Rom

Postby zdubin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:28 pm

Maybe make the previous version another app for 99 cents (call it FPSE classic) with no more upgrades. FPSE would continue to get upgrades.

People would pay an additional 99 cents for FPSE classic to have their old save states working.

hiei
Primary Device: Xperia Play

Postby hiei » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:33 pm

zdubin wrote:Maybe make the previous version another app for 99 cents (call it FPSE classic) with no more upgrades. FPSE would continue to get upgrades.

People would pay an additional 99 cents for FPSE classic to have their old save states working.

Why charge extra for an app that they already paid for. They expect it to be working. To pay for a fix due to an upgrade issue is illegal.

-hiei

yooin14
Primary Device: galaxy s
Operating System: nothing

Postby yooin14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:30 am

im having trouble loading saved file in newer version.

what is his email address..?? i will ask him for old version.

LouCipher
Primary Device: TMobile G2
ROM: CM7 RC1

Postby LouCipher » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:32 am

hiei wrote:
zdubin wrote:Maybe make the previous version another app for 99 cents (call it FPSE classic) with no more upgrades. FPSE would continue to get upgrades.

Why charge extra for an app that they already paid for. They expect it to be working. To pay for a fix due to an upgrade issue is illegal.

-hiei

Well, I'm not a lawyer, and I would bet you're not either, but I think "illegal" might be a stretch. Maintaining compatibility between versions is hardly guaranteed. The fact that savestates have remained compatible for so long is impressive. They're basically a byte-for-byte dump of the memory in use by the emulator and the various plugins. Anyone who's used in-development emulators knows that a single change to the core emulator, or any single plugin, can render states unusable. You should always save to a memcard save before installing a new version of any emulator.

That being said, schtruck, I would appreciate it if you could test savestates with each new version, and note in the changelog if a version will break savestate compatibility. That would allow your users better opportunity to save their games. If I might suggest a possible solution to the current situation, you could post the old version to the market, allowing people to download and install it for a day or two, then post the latest version back on the market.

Return to “News”