Fpse for Android News

Xandrex
Primary Device: Hp Touchpad
Operating System: Android
ROM: Cyanogenmod 9 nightly

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby Xandrex » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Little update on the FFIX discussion,

I tried to play with Chainfire 3D but it doesn't make a difference. Tried the 3 different plugins available, but fps in battle still dropped to unplayable amounts. Lowering texture quality just makes it unbearebly ugly. So again, still no solution for my Galaxy Nexus >_< .

icelaglace
Primary Device: ACEi (GT-S5830i)
Operating System: 2.3.6
ROM: XXLH3

Postby icelaglace » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:01 pm

You need the last high-end quad-core device with extreme overclock to run FPse smoothly :lol:
Broadcom VideoCore IV (1080p capable) on Samsung Galaxy Ace "i"(only i/c/m models), Samsung Galaxy Y, Huayu T968 and Alcatel OT979 3G WCDMA (adding support...)

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Postby bluezeak » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:36 pm

@ Iceglance - did you get your question answered about screenshots? I use "Screenshot It" (paid), but mostly because it supports my phone without being rooted. There are some free options if you've rooted your phone.

Needing a highend phone for fpse
    - I haven't played on a low end phone, but I would say that on a low end phone you would need frameskip but that games should still be decently playable.
    - On midrange phones with frameskip they should be more than playable, they should be good.
    - On mid-high to high end it should be fantastic, and on high-end phones you can stat using the opengl plugin.
    - My point - you do NOT need a quad-core high end phone to use fpse. Not even to run it 'smoothly'
    - To run FPSE smoothly you probably do need a good phone (1ghz single core) to run software mode without frameskip.

Scanlines
    - They make your display look lower res. From that angle, they may make games look better on screens whose resolution is very high.
    - I played with scanlines on my computer using ePSXe with 1440x900 resoltion and I don't quite understand what they do. They take out some of the horizontal lines, but Pete put in a 'brighness' setting. If you adjust that it can almost eliminate the effect - so I don't quite get it. But - the concept is to make games look lower resolution like old TVs, so it may help the look of games.
    - GPU options
      - SoftGPU - there's no scanline plugin in that GPU, so it would need to be added. That may be difficult.
      - OpenGL - scanlines are available here, so they may just need to be enabled. I think they're less needed here ... <shrug>.

Alternatively to scanlines in the softGPU, maybe Sctruck could implement some of the "stretching" or "dithering" options which are in the PEOpS SoftGPU. They are designed to make the game look better, though I don't know how much. I'm not sure what all the stretching options do (there are many), but dithering should make colors looks better (possibly at expense of graphic clarity?). If the emulator dual-core option is working well, I think any dual core phone should be able to utilize the options.
Last edited by bluezeak on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Attention people using devices with Adreno 220 & Adreno 225 GPUs:
(HP Touchpad, Samsung Galaxy S II, HTC Evo 3D, Nexus S, many others - (see here for a good list)

There is a known issue with FPSE and the Adreno 220. I personally don't have many details, and am trying to find out more about it myself. The information I found about it can be found here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1444517
Also from this forum I see some good stuff here from back in April:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2034&hilit=adreno+220&start=3560

Schtruck, i900frenchaddict, is there any update on this issue? Schtruck says to "update drivers" - how do you do that? Schtruck also says to update to ICS. I found this link which talks about updating the drviers if you already have ICS.

Xandrex, drgci, this likeky explains some of the issues you are having (though Drgci already know about this). Drgci, again, for FF9 and OpenGL please check my post about FF9 and OpenGL.

I'm going to update my OpenGL forum post about this and some other issues I've found about the Samsung Hummingbird / Exynos SoCs (chipset).

Edit:
I see there's a current thread on this issue - see here
Last edited by bluezeak on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

stridingcloud
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 3G
Operating System: Android 3.2

Postby stridingcloud » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:05 pm

schtruck wrote:
Plugin can be downloaded here: http://www.fpsece.net/libopenglplugin.so

Source can be downloaded here: http://www.fpsece.net/peopsgpuopenglforfpsesrc.zip

Hi,

I have downloaded that libopenglplugin.so file linked above, copied it to my device and fed it into fpse through the "Config/misc/switch to openGL/load from SD card" menu. However, once I try to load an iso, the booting is halted and the screen reverts to "load iso".

When I install he openGL via the "install from internet" option, games load perfectly. Unfortunately, once I return to the software gpu plugin for certain games, I need to reinstall the openGL via Internet if I want to use it again. Which is no good, as I do not always have an internet connection. So I wonder: where does fpse download the openGl plugin from and where does it copy it to? In other words, can I obtain that exact plugin version (which works perfectly for me...) and keep it for off-line installation from the SD card?

Thanks alot.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:29 pm

That's the same link that I use in my opengl thread. If that doesn't work, I want to know where we can download it from also.

PM me with your email and I can send you the two I have (and older and a newer one).

Xandrex
Primary Device: Hp Touchpad
Operating System: Android
ROM: Cyanogenmod 9 nightly

Postby Xandrex » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:43 am

I can also confirm that in software mode I experience no slowdowns whatsoever on my Galaxy Nexus. Even in OpenGL mode a lot of games work flawlessly.

I've been going on about FFIX just because it's one of my all time favorites. But take Ape Escape, for me the best platformer ever made, it works flawlessly in OpenGL. Connect my PS3 controller and it plays like a boss.

@blue: I was aware of that thread on OpenGL, but I just can't seem to get a decent framerate when using frameskip/framelimiter, even when OC'd to 1.5 Ghz dual core and GPU clocked at 512 Mhz. Ah well, back to FFIII :-)

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:53 pm

Even with the GPU @ 512Mhz OpenGL on FF9 still has issues eh? Did you make sure to use the 'special frame limiter' instead of the standard frame limiter? In FF9 the standard frame limiter slows down the game.

I am downloading FF3 from Google Play now. It's too expensive, but I want to encourage them to release more apps on Android instead of sending everything to Apple.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:35 am

i900frenchaddict - Do you have any thoughts on the Adreno 225? People have been reporting issues with it....

drgci
Primary Device: htc sensation
Operating System: android
ROM: cooked

Postby drgci » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:30 am

i900frenchaddict wrote:
bluezeak wrote:Attention people using devices with Adreno 220 & Adreno 225 GPUs:
(HP Touchpad, Samsung Galaxy S II, HTC Evo 3D, Nexus S, many others - (see here for a good list)

There is a known issue with FPSE and the Adreno 220. I personally don't have many details, and am trying to find out more about it myself. The information I found about it can be found here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1444517
Also from this forum I see some good stuff here from back in April:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2034&hilit=adreno+220&start=3560

Schtruck, i900frenchaddict, is there any update on this issue? Schtruck says to "update drivers" - how do you do that? Schtruck also says to update to ICS. I found this link which talks about updating the drviers if you already have ICS.

Since the xda thread you've quoted, things have changed:

So on my (now retired^^) Sensation (Adreno 200), updating to ICS, then later, to [b]2.15 drivers for Adreno seriousl[/b]y improved things. Then Fpse has been updated too, giving much better results with openGL, especially the fact that it became possible to apply filterings and remain full speed with frameskip, which was not possible before this update (was it 2 month ago? I don't exactly remember). Just keep in mind that Tekken 3 is THE slow game here, too many ligntenings, shaddings, etc. Even on quad-cores, this game requires frameskip to run full speed.

I thing there is no 2.15 drivers only 2.13 and 2.18
Can you provide me with link

Return to “News”