schtruck
Site Admin
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: WM 6.5.1 21869
ROM: 1.66

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby schtruck » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:39 am

Somes Tips with last version of FPse,

- Do not load manually the OpenGL plugin, just choose download.
- As many people requested, the button that aren't activated aren't no more invisible when in landscape, they just exist when Activated from Overlay pad menu.
- Jellybean Screen filtering is not available now since they have implemented triple buffuring. Just hope they will propose it in the Next update of JB

Rotkaeqpchen
Enthusiast
Primary Device: Motorola Droid 3
ROM: Stock 2.3.4

Postby Rotkaeqpchen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:46 am

schtruck wrote:@Rotkaeqpchen can you tell me if when in menu fpse stop well? sound and game i took a look to your logcat and error are strange, it's like the build version reported by your version was Honneycomb or ICS, but in fact it's a gb rom with missing java class from ics.... what rom do you have?

Sorry I missed your post.

I can remember that it force closed when navigating through video and misc settings.

I am running a stock Droid 3 ROM on Android 2.3.4. No CM or any other experimental ROMs. ;)

What I can say is that, although the frameskip doesn't work as expected, the main reason why I use FPse is to play Final Fantasy IX. And with the newest version it runs perfect. No video stuttering, no battle slowdown, no audio issues and perfect 50-60 fps. The ONLY thing I have set is

- spu sync
- software mode
- force monocore
- framlimiter
- skip fix

And this is what I think is the main point: Enabling too many settings is contraproductive as many of them like color inversion, enhanced 3d rendering and so on seem to be hacks that can lead to errors when applied.
Last edited by Rotkaeqpchen on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tumalu
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy SII

Postby Tumalu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:50 am

schtruck wrote:excuse me but i'd prefer to release a version for that, you say inversed L2/R2 with L1/R1 is it that?

instead, here is the internal pad fixed. just load it as external pad from input/overlay pad/overlay pad

Whenever I now try to set or unset buttons using the external pad.ini I get a black screen and fpse crashes..... Still even can't set things manually now.

Ballstein
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Xperia play
Operating System: Android
ROM: Rooted

Postby Ballstein » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:25 am

Hi schtruck,
having issues with xperia play, tony hawk 2 when doing grabs there is major lag in button pressing.
Metal gear there is slow down when leaning on walls or looking first person
i cant get rid of pad overview its always there.

Old version was much smooth
Thanks

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Postby bluezeak » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:54 am

foleyjo wrote:plugintest2 -

Games wont boot with antialiazing on.
Slight speed increase. Not enough for me to play with
Can't change settings in game. Have to exit emu for them to take effect
Boxes around 3d objects gone
Overblood- Screen too bright
Corruptions in loading screens menus and splash screens in most games I've tried

foleyjo - what do you mean you get a slight speed increase? For me, without antialiasing opengl is DOG slow. with it, it runs ok.
changing game settings - it's normal to need to exit fpse to make settings stick/apply. how is this different than before? what settings are you talking about?
boxes around 3d objects - that's often an issue with alpha multipass. Although, with this new version I was getting that until I turned antialiiasing on - something is definatley wrong there. shouldn't need antialiasing for that.
screen brightness - often an issue with advanced blending.
corruption - what type? 'garbage' on scree? just on sides or everywhere? or is it just wrong colors and boxes around objects? garbage can sometimes be fixed by '32-bits'. the colors/boxes around objects can be fixed by alpha multipass sometimes - although like I said with this new version it seems antialiasing may be needed (but it shouldn't be).

Again- I'm really surprised about the fact you said it runs better. Wait - do you mean it (plugintest2) runs 'better' than the one you download from inside fpse, but it still runs terrible compared to opengl in 11.29?
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:05 am

thefitz wrote:Performance still tanks for me. This made no difference for me. Perhaps there is an issue with the PowerVR SGX chips now.

I also have a powervr sgx 540, running @ 300 Mhz. TI OMAP 4430 1.0 Ghz.
what do you mean performance tanks - you mean opengl performance tanks? or does sofware mode tank also?

if you are talking about opengl, did you try turning on anti aliasing?

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:07 am

schtruck wrote:choose download plugin. do not load external because it won't be compatible.

Schtruck, I really think you should update the release notes about this. If someone goes to google play (or anywhere else that has FPSE) they should see that this version requires redownloading the plugin.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:29 am

Rotkaeqpchen wrote:...Now after updating to 0.11.32 its a real pain to navigate through the menu. So many force closes, I can't believe it. Sometimes the menu button doesn't work, only the back button opens the menu then. The frameskip function is nearly useless, it makes the games run extremely choppy, it never was with 0.10.15, it worked well. Also sometimes the settings are not beeing saved at all, I can't explain why. Creating shortcuts works, but the game doesn't load. Also the structure of the settings is quite, messy. Why do I have to set frameskip in the video menu and then, have to set the max frameskip in the misc menu?

I love FPse, but I'll go on using 0.10.15.

frameskip (I think I cut this out from the quote) - frameskip works fine, in my eqperience. I admit I didnn't see it in version 10.15. the more frames it skips, the more stuttery it is. the less skipped, the smoother it is. there's no way to make it NOT stuttery if it's skipping frames - though if implemented will it won't be too dramatic (depending on how many frames get dropped).

force close - with all the issues I've had with FPSE, force close was not one of them. The only time I've had force close was when using the wrong version of opengl from sd card with new version. If you're getting force close - something truly is wrong, But I don't think it's specific to fpse. were there other complains with the new version about force closes? game freezes, slowdowns, buttons not working - if there were force closes I missed them.

settings not being saved - it is a known configuration requirement that mant settings require you to restart fpse for them to take effect.

shortcuts - I don't have a lot of experience with shortcuts. I've used one or two, but haven't had any issues. they work well actually - but I've not done much testing with them in 11.29, I only used them in 11.29.

menu settings - I agree. Very messy. I've talked to schtruck about that myself. The best option would be normal android menus. I assume he didn't use those becuase they caused a problem with the emulator, and hence he used 'pop-up' menus that sat on-top of the emulation. One of the things I mentioned was the ability to use an 'advanced' setting in the menus. enabling 'advanced' would turn on a bunch of stuff people don't normally need. however that's tricky - what should be put in 'advanced'?

'going back to 10.15' - I respect the desire to use what works for you. I would use what worked for me. Still, putting a comment like that in the main forum seems like a slap in the face to the developer. Not only do I respect the amount of work schtruck has done - I also think he does a great job and FPSE is very well done.

The issues schtruck is fighting is the EXACT issue of ipad vs android. android is open, with different vendors, different OS version, different OS implementations with the same OS version, and different hardware. How the crap does a developer get their code to work with all the variables? Ipad = 1 OS platform, 1 piece of hardware. I like android. I respect the difficulties inherit in getting applications to work though.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:56 am

sorry for all the posts. there's been more activity in this thread in the past couple days than there has been in the past couple weeks (or sure feels like it). You sure have caused a lot of excitement with the new version schtruck :).

schtruck wrote:i'm listening all the problems reports,
i have to check the reported inversion of L1/R1 L2/R2

and i have to check the slowdown reported when Dpad is printed. is it all?

- overlay pad - people have said that they can't turn it off
-sixaxis issue - the developer said he would contact you I believe.
- opengl
    - opengl works differently than it used to. this may be a hardware specific issue.
    - Many people have reported that there are outline areound objects that didn't used to be there, and other graphic issues.
    - it runs much slower (I haven't tested 11.32 yet).
    - anti aliasing makes things run differently. for many people, it runs faster, though usually not as fast as before. sometimes it doesn't run faster. there was one report that it doesn't work at all.

Schtruck, you're doing great work. This last update incorporated a LOT of changes - gfx, UI (overlay pad), bluetooth control pad (which you didn't put in the relase notes), underlying thread priority ... many areas of the emulater were updated. you were gone for so long, and when you came back, as we expected, you released a huge update :). Please keep up the good work. Thanks again..

Kayann
Primary Device: Huawei Mediapad/Springboard
Operating System: Android 4.0.3
ROM: Stock Firmware/ROM

Postby Kayann » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:16 am

Just adding my 10c to the discussion.

Software GPU
- Definitely seems to be running speedier/smoother.
- Menus don't seem to be causing me crashes and settings like special screen size seem to be sticking now. Admittedly I did have a crash everytime I opened the set buttons menu for the overlay pad, but reinstalling fpse seemed to fix that.
- I can confirm the flipped button values (at least for R1/R2). I was wondering why I could no longer trigger Squall's gunblade!
- Some ongoing compatibility issues, at least with FF8, where 3D models are superimposed over background video when they should be covered by the background video (at this point they should be behind that grey column - see attached image file). Haven't got far enough in game to check if this issue crops up later as there are a number of points where 3D models and FMV's are combined on screen in FF8.
- Screen blurriness. I am sure that many versions previously the screen in software mode wasn't so blurry (ie. looked more pixelated) but I am running from memory... I'd prefer the option to turn this blur off (I presume its some form of hard-coded screen filtering). This blur is not present in OpenGL. Happy to provide comparison screenies if wanted.

OpenGL
- Not too much to say here as you seem to be in the process of changing to a new form of OpenGL with better compatiblity. So you probably don't need to hear me go on about the lack of compatibility (eg. garbage PS logo/text on startup, FF8 battle transition), duplicated imagery to the sides of the 4:3 main screen (apparently only on 2D screens, 3D world map displays nicely in 4:3 with black vertical borders)...
- I will point out, however, that the latest versions (since 11.29) do seem to have introduced some lag and freezes into OpenGL. eg. At the start of a battle in FF8 (after the transition scene) it will zoom into the battle field - freeze for a few seconds - continue playing - freeze again briefly - the continue on as per normal (which is quite slow and variable unfortunately).
- Oh yeah, Alpha blending. Horrible black boxes instead of transparency. Don't normally have this enabled but was trying options like this and Mask bit to see if it helped with the garbage on the sides of the screen (it didn't).
- Antialiasing doesn't seem to do much ie. unforunately I am not one of the luck ones where this setting magically makes things better. Frameskip throws a minor life line, but not enough to make things anywhere near playable.
- Looking foward to increased compatibility with OpenGL ES 2 plugin, though without significant speed boosts OpenGL is going to remain unplayable for many people. Still, appreciate the work being done here.

Suggestions
- Fullscreen mode. This helps to avoid accidental button presses, however this would required some onscreen way of activating Fpse's own menu without using the android back button... which of course leads to:
- Improved menu system, as mentioned by others before me. It'd also be nice if the emulator had a way of fully rebooting itself so settings could be enabled and applied in app without having to then completely exit the app and restart the app to get them to apply.
- Handling memory card storage differently. In reinstalling Fpse I discovered the hard way that this wipes all user data such as memcards... Android gives no warning about such things when uninstalling an app so Fpse needs to take the initiative and come up with an in-your-face force you to set a directory for saving memcards where they are preserved after uninstall... A bit like it does with the BIOS. I presume options like back-up and restore all files handles this, but these are not exactly the first things people go looking for I imagine...
- Improved documentation. What does each option do... etc. Should some options be enabled/disabled for certain games?
- Option to increase internal resolution for Software gpu. Seriously, it looks all kinds of ugly at the moment. Your speed increases are defininatly creating room to enable such options for many people. Perhaps you think OpenGL is the way foward, but it looks like it will be a long time coming for the majority of users. Some love for the Software gpu would probably be more compatible across the board at this stage... Increased internal resolution is one of the key ways emulators improve open the (typically) low resolution consoles the emulate, whether it is PSX, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, etc...
Attachments
Screenshot_2012-08-27-21-25-19[1].png
Screenshot_2012-08-27-21-25-19[1].png (723.13 KiB) Viewed 13126 times

Return to “News”