Fpse for Android News

Xandrex
Primary Device: Hp Touchpad
Operating System: Android
ROM: Cyanogenmod 9 nightly

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby Xandrex » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:14 am

I can confirm the skipping of graphics stops in FF8 when turning on "Force mono core" in software mode. Screen filtering on is impossible, as FPS drop to unplayable values. However in v29 this problem didn't occur so there are 2 possibilities: either the dual core didn't work at all in v29 and there was no difference between mono or dual core, or something was implemented in the versions after v29 that messed up the dual core mode, because it doesn't make sense that doing something with more processing power gives less performance.

edit: I'm on the galaxy nexus, MiNCO ROM (jelly bean r4)

Greets,

Xan

deejayzee
Primary Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7''
Operating System: JB 4.1.2
ROM: AOKP

Postby deejayzee » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:40 am

Here is a forum for FPse ########################

If you prefer something else than FPse, you don't have to stay here.

thanks for your understanding.

schtruck
Site Admin
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: WM 6.5.1 21869
ROM: 1.66

Postby schtruck » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:46 am

To talk about fpse , i think finally i'll move all to /sdcard/.fpse , will make that by default even if you upgrade, that will copy all your config and save to this directory.

what do you think?

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Postby bluezeak » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:13 am

FPSE is great. It's not great becuase it's the only psx emulator for android (which, it isn't), it's great because it's well maintained, is constantly being updated, AND constantly being improved. I agree - if someone doesn't like FPSE they can go somewhere else. Some people get mad at schtruck becuase he doesn't anser them qucik enough. But -that's their problem. For serious issues (like licesnses) schturck is fast. For issues that he feels are important, he usually is pretty fast (like buttons working on bulit-in game controllers). And he ALWAYS listens. FPSE is getting pretty ... mature ... now. And Schtruck is still constantly updating it, tweaking it, and improving it. Hell - he's working on opengl version 2, that's a fantastic example. If you've been following the forum, you know there are bugs - and you know he's going to be fixing them (he just said he's got another new release). Remember the issues with MAli-400? What about new issues with JB? Adreno 225? Android is NOT like Iphone with its one flavor of hardware, and one flavor of OS - it has tons of hardware, and tons of OS configurations. The tools he has to use often have issues - as is the case with open source. And he fights though that as well. All the while Schtrucks continues to work to make fpse compatible - and he works to make it better.

So if people want to go somewhere else ... they can go. But if they have eyes to see they'll see that there's no reason to - fpse is pretty great.
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:07 pm

@kayann - with 'forced monocore' off, can you enable and disable screen filtering? does it make any difference? I've not heard of an 'auto-filter' when 'forced monocore' is off, I would assume it was just turning the filtering on - and you should be able to turn it off. Weird.

Also, have you tried opengl? the difference between opengl and softgpu is pretty amazing in some games. I finally got around to testing FF7 today. it runs SO good in opengl I couldn't believe it. nearly as good as softgpu. I just posted a long post about opengl settings in the games specific forum for FF7.

@ Xandrex - Yes, something did change. In fact, it changed a couple times during the updates from 11.29 - 11.34. Back in 11.29 though, for me, the multi-core mode has always ... skipped. it plays as if frameskip was on. even the fps in the upperleft is blinking constantly. It's my opinion that the new implementation is just the same thing, just made more pronounced / dramatic so that is is obvious to see. Also, it's my believe that thies ties direcdtly into the priority setting that can be set in the misc menu. The way that the OS is distributing the workload is just not working smoothly when on multiple cores. I think the original concept was to have the emulator on one core, the gpu on another, then have a prority for the emulator (or was it vice versa?). Schtruck took out the priotiy setting some time back, and has reintroduced another version of it.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:12 pm

schtruck wrote:To talk about fpse , i think finally i'll move all to /sdcard/.fpse , will make that by default even if you upgrade, that will copy all your config and save to this directory.

what do you think?

it's the memory card and the saves states that are the most important. configs are less important. if your configs setup is corrupt / not working, you want to be able to reset it. but memory card and save states should be handled separately. it's not that big a deal to resetup you config, as long as you don't have to do it too often. it is TERRIBLE ... VERY TERRIBLE ... to lose memory cards.

storm20200
Primary Device: Nexus 7, Galaxy S II (UK)
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock JB, CyanogenMod 9.1

Postby storm20200 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:43 pm

bluezeak wrote:
schtruck wrote:To talk about fpse , i think finally i'll move all to /sdcard/.fpse , will make that by default even if you upgrade, that will copy all your config and save to this directory.

what do you think?

it's the memory card and the saves states that are the most important. configs are less important. if your configs setup is corrupt / not working, you want to be able to reset it. but memory card and save states should be handled separately. it's not that big a deal to resetup you config, as long as you don't have to do it too often. it is TERRIBLE ... VERY TERRIBLE ... to lose memory cards.

Agreed, it is only the memory cards and states that are important. There is nothing worse than losing a 40+ hour Final Fantasy save, especially when you lose everything else at the same time as well!
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro

Kayann
Primary Device: Huawei Mediapad/Springboard
Operating System: Android 4.0.3
ROM: Stock Firmware/ROM

Postby Kayann » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:07 pm

bluezeak wrote:@kayann - with 'forced monocore' off, can you enable and disable screen filtering? does it make any difference? I've not heard of an 'auto-filter' when 'forced monocore' is off, I would assume it was just turning the filtering on - and you should be able to turn it off. Weird.

Also, have you tried opengl? the difference between opengl and softgpu is pretty amazing in some games. I finally got around to testing FF7 today. it runs SO good in opengl I couldn't believe it. nearly as good as softgpu. I just posted a long post about opengl settings in the games specific forum for FF7.

Bluezeak, I guess my original post was a bit long winded. I was just trying to explain things in full to help determine what does or doesn't work and the process used to check. In summary:

Monocore (ie. force monocore on) = Screen filtering can be turned off (crisp look, slightly slow) or it can be turned on (blurry look, too slow to play)
Multicore (ie. force monocore off)= Screen filtering appears to be forced on (blurry look) regardless of the screen filtering setting. Turning it on or off makes no difference.

I'll try to post about my OpenGL experiences in your OpenGL thread a bit later, got to do some work now! ;)

ManuBBXX
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy SII
Operating System: Windows 7
ROM: ICS stock

Postby ManuBBXX » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:19 pm

bluezeak, you can pass the battle swirm without crashes in FF7 ? oO
What are your opengl settings ? Never succeeded passing this on my phone..

New player
Primary Device: Galaxy Note

Postby New player » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:49 pm

what do you think?

Ok !

I need find where find savestates and memrcard ( I need the game not run to can be inside Image

so how run bios ?

Return to “News”