Fpse for Android News

Idiotekque
Primary Device: Galaxy S3
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock 4.3

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby Idiotekque » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Nice, the license issue doesn't seem to be popping up now, and I can confirm that the battle swirl effect is working on FFIX.

It's not a big deal, but I mentioned how odd and green/yellow the scanline shader looked before. Any thoughts on that?

leglerreddin
Primary Device: HTC One
Operating System: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
ROM: Android revolution HD 51.0 sense 5.5

Postby leglerreddin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:31 am

I've been experiencing a lot of crashes with the new release that fixed the license problem and the final fantasy swirl, I can't seem to play more than a couple minutes before fpse force closes, I'm playing ff9 and despite changing several settings including all the different shaders I seem to be SOL. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas to fix the problem

Idiotekque

Postby Idiotekque » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:45 am

leglerreddin wrote:I've been experiencing a lot of crashes with the new release that fixed the license problem and the final fantasy swirl, I can't seem to play more than a couple minutes before fpse force closes, I'm playing ff9 and despite changing several settings including all the different shaders I seem to be SOL. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas to fix the problem

I was playing it earlier for... maybe 30 minutes or so. I'll post if I start running into crashes.

Idiotekque

Postby Idiotekque » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:27 pm

I was playing Final Fantasy Tactics (a hacked version, but the graphics aren't any different) and HD software mode just can't handle the game. It plays, and sometimes even at full speed, but it will bog down to as low as 30FPS relatively often. Does it have to do with rendering all that 3D and 2D together?

Also, there's a glitch where if the screen is dim or black and dialogue or text is shown, "ghost" images of the previous couple text or dialogue boxes will show, usually as glitchy and pixellated, and the new text will slowly scroll over the ghost images and be very hard to read, due to overlapping. For example, the word "sword" is in the ghost image, and "in the" is newly shown over them, it will look like "inothe", since the previous ghost image's content will still show in the spaces of the new text usually.

I played around with the settings for awhile, tried all the shaders, old and new framelimiters and skippers, just about everything I could think of, and nothing really changed or gave the game a noticeable performance boost. Is Final Fantasy Tactics just too hard of a game to run at full speed?

schtruck
Site Admin
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: WM 6.5.1 21869
ROM: 1.66

Postby schtruck » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:12 am

OK due to sudden changes in webservers hosting, FPse wasn't able anymore to download plugins and surely others files, so i have pushed the last version (a none release beta).

Here it's 5:39 am, passed all the night on it....

I made somes very good optimisation in SOftHD plugins, you 'll see the difference...and set specific option for FF7 and MGS, like that others games will still works...

here are changes sinces FPse 0.11.121:
FPse 0.11.122:
- Fixed Download plugins problem since webserver update
- Fixed possible freeze When scanning storage
- Fixed External Card detection on somes devices
- Added Multi core option for gpu software in OPenGL mode, FPse is twice faster!
- Added Shaders effects and Scalers to OpenGL Software mode
- Experimental Software GPU HD!! longpress onto Icon then Video
- Added change color for onscreen two states buttons
- Updated audio plugins and OpenGL plugin, both are much better!

Elwood
Primary Device: SAMSUNG S3
Operating System: Android Jelly Bean
ROM: Stock

Postby Elwood » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:40 am

WOW, you have really outdone yourself schtruck! As usually the emulation is 2x faster, prettier etc. But let's not lose hope, I thought, maybe he really did make some improvements.

I should have known better.... but instead I downloaded the updated google market version today... aaand... let's see...

- Fixed Download plugins problem since webserver update NOT REALLY, IT CRASHED 4 TIMES BEFORE IT MANAGED TO DOWNLOAD ANYTHING. IT SAYS "Download error! check connection..." YOU GUESSED IT, MY CONNECTION IS FINE. AND AFTER I RESETED SETTINGS (NOTHING WORKED OTHERWISE) IT MANAGED TO D/L ON LIKE THE 10TH RUN.
- Fixed possible freeze When scanning storage WELL, YOU GOT THIS ONE RIGHT. IT DID NOT CRASH, I GIVE YOU THAT.
- Fixed External Card detection on somes devices FOR LIKE THE 10TH TIME...
- Added Multi core option for gpu software in OPenGL mode, FPse is twice faster! THE USUAL "FPSE IMPROVEMENT CLAIM". ARE YOU STATING THAT EVERY GAME NOW HAS 2x FPS IN OPENGL? IN WHICH PLUGIN? STANDARD OR EXPERIMENTAL? PLEASE BE MORE SPECIFIC
- Added Shaders effects and Scalers to OpenGL Software mode YEAH, SCALERS RULE. FOR SNES EMULATORS, THAT IS. SO NOW LET'S PUT THEM ON LOWRES PS1 3D. AND FORCE THE USER TO "Quit and restart FPSE to apply".
- Experimental Software GPU HD!! longpress onto Icon then Video WHAT COULD THIS DESCRIPTION MEAN? WHAT ICON? WHY LONGPRESS? IS IT GPU, OR SOFTWARE? WHERE IN YOUR BEAUTIFUL, ERGONOMIC UI IS THE NEW OPTION? I TAKE IT THAT IT IS MISC/VIDEO MODE/SOFTWARE HIGH DEFINITION? IS IT MADE FOR COMPATIBILITY REASONS? CAUSE SURELY IT IS NOT FOR SPEED... AGAIN, NO EXPLANATION.
- Added change color for onscreen two states buttons WOW!
- Updated audio plugins and OpenGL plugin, both are much better! IT WOULD NOT BE A FPSE RELEASE IF EVERYTHING WASN'T "much better", WOULD IT? HOW ABOUT SOME SCREENSHOTS/VIDS ON THE FORUM... BUT WAIT, YOU DON'T DO THAT, DO YOU. PROBABLY WASTE OF TIME.

and the real reason for the rant is that you have made another release with a bunch of mysterious "improvements" and "speedups" (please post before/ after vids to prove me wrong) while the GUI is still unchanged, clunky, crashing and not intuitive at all. It is literally the worst GUI of 20+ emus I have on my phone. Are you sure you are making this software for the users, or just for your own programming fun? The options are not clear, and the usual behavior of "closing and restarting fpse to apply" does not make want to check what they really do.

Idiotekque

Postby Idiotekque » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:45 am

I'm unsure of what the last update did. I'm not seeing any changes on my end. Performance appears to be identical to the last update. All the while I have never once seen an improvement in OpenGL, which I've just given up on for even slightly demanding games at this point.

Has anyone played Final Fantasy Tactics on FPSE? Results?

thefitz
Primary Device: OnePlus One A0001
Operating System: Android 5.0.2/CM12
ROM: This is for Android OS ROMs, not game ROMs.

Postby thefitz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:23 pm

Elwood wrote:- Added Multi core option for gpu software in OPenGL mode, FPse is twice faster! THE USUAL "FPSE IMPROVEMENT CLAIM". ARE YOU STATING THAT EVERY GAME NOW HAS 2x FPS IN OPENGL? IN WHICH PLUGIN? STANDARD OR EXPERIMENTAL? PLEASE BE MORE SPECIFIC

He's talking about software mode with the OpenGL filter, smooth software I believe it's called. How did you miss the "software in" bit? Do you just read what you want to read?

- Experimental Software GPU HD!! longpress onto Icon then Video WHAT COULD THIS DESCRIPTION MEAN? WHAT ICON? WHY LONGPRESS? IS IT GPU, OR SOFTWARE? WHERE IN YOUR BEAUTIFUL, ERGONOMIC UI IS THE NEW OPTION? I TAKE IT THAT IT IS MISC/VIDEO MODE/SOFTWARE HIGH DEFINITION? IS IT MADE FOR COMPATIBILITY REASONS? CAUSE SURELY IT IS NOT FOR SPEED... AGAIN, NO EXPLANATION.

I guess that answers my question - software high definition is software mode rendered at your device's native resolution. Looks fantastic. As far as long pressing the icon goes - what other icons are there? The game icon, of course! You can set which game uses what before you open it.

Now, for my experience. I'm floored by the high definition software. Noticed some minor rendering bugs in some games, and Quake II had a performance issue (but it runs fine in OpenGL so meh), but it's great. I'll totally play Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross in this mode - no sense in dealing with inherent OpenGL bugs that aren't fixed even on PC. Same should go for Breath of Fire, Xenogears, etc.

Unfortunately, the app doesn't pick up the game title or icon correctly. It DOES figure out the serial number (SLUS/SCES), but the title is blank and there's no art. I have to figure out what the serial number is to play the game.

Anyway, floored by the software high def mode. I outright prefer it to OpenGL in some situations. Great work there, but please fix the covers.

schtruck
Site Admin
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: WM 6.5.1 21869
ROM: 1.66

Postby schtruck » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:51 pm

Unfortunally my webserver provider say everything works well and is not tracking problem as he should.

The connection problem is global on fpsece.net . It works 10seconds and down.

I just hope they will fix it.

Thanks

Elwood
Primary Device: SAMSUNG S3
Operating System: Android Jelly Bean
ROM: Stock

Postby Elwood » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:06 pm

thefitz wrote:
Elwood wrote:- Added Multi core option for gpu software in OPenGL mode, FPse is twice faster! THE USUAL "FPSE IMPROVEMENT CLAIM". ARE YOU STATING THAT EVERY GAME NOW HAS 2x FPS IN OPENGL? IN WHICH PLUGIN? STANDARD OR EXPERIMENTAL? PLEASE BE MORE SPECIFIC

He's talking about software mode with the OpenGL filter, smooth software I believe it's called. How did you miss the "software in" bit? Do you just read what you want to read?

I guess that answers my question - software high definition is software mode rendered at your device's native resolution. Looks fantastic. As far as long pressing the icon goes - what other icons are there? The game icon, of course! You can set which game uses what before you open it.

I did not read what I wanted to read... I really tried to understand... but "gpu software in OPenGL mode" melted my mind... its like HARDWARE (GPU) SOFTWARE in HARDWARE (opengl) MODE.

And yes, i did get to run the high resolution software mode. Looks good but most of the games are slower than opengl for me on my S3. So as I was guessing it's for compatibility... but we got no explanation.

The covers are not working for many of my games too. Blank icons without even the slus/sles numbers.

And thank you (for real) for explaining what the "long icon press" meant. Now I know, but this is also a fine example of fpse "intuitive" GUI design.

Return to “News”