Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby HDM » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:51 pm

LouCipher wrote:
HDM wrote:Three varieties skin v1

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3258 ... hot35v.png

download
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2051&p=19326#p19326

Schtruck

you can try the overlays in 8bit, could mean less impact on performance, try it has nothing to lose.

a greeting

What bit depth are they in now? Seems 8 bit would be more than sufficient. I'd be fine with monochrome, myself. After all, I want the games to look good, don't care so much about the pad.

is depth 24bit, for 8bit schtruck has to adapt the code

could enable the 2 options, and in low powerful smartphones select 8bit skins, should result in improved performance
-PSX4FPse- -PadSx3- -Skins For Android-

tetsuokenpachi
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S II GT I9100
Operating System: Android 2.3.3

Postby tetsuokenpachi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Actually, it slows it down even when you assign buttons to hardware keys or even when you only use slide mode. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with on screen keys or skins...

Morcus
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: HTC EVO
ROM: CyanogenMod 6.1.2

Postby Morcus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Just wanted to post some more bugs I found and understand that you are a busy man so I'll be brief!

I was playing MGS with fpse version 0.10.3 and experienced the right dpad touch screen button getting stuck. I could make it go away by switching to portrait view but when I rotated it back to landscape it started happening again. No amount of pressing keys could make it go away other than rotating to portrait and it would continue briefly for a few seconds and then go back to normal.

EVO CM6.1.2

HDM
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S
ROM: Froyo

Postby HDM » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:38 pm

tetsuokenpachi wrote:Actually, it slows it down even when you assign buttons to hardware keys or even when you only use slide mode. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with on screen keys or skins...

I can assure that the overlay represent a performance impact

edit

I'm optimizing the lines of detection, could be some problems when finish update my skin

LouCipher
Primary Device: TMobile G2
ROM: CM7 RC1

Postby LouCipher » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:37 pm

HDM wrote:
LouCipher wrote:
HDM wrote:Three varieties skin v1

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3258 ... hot35v.png

download
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2051&p=19326#p19326

Schtruck

you can try the overlays in 8bit, could mean less impact on performance, try it has nothing to lose.

a greeting

What bit depth are they in now? Seems 8 bit would be more than sufficient. I'd be fine with monochrome, myself. After all, I want the games to look good, don't care so much about the pad.

is depth 24bit, for 8bit schtruck has to adapt the code

could enable the 2 options, and in low powerful smartphones select 8bit skins, should result in improved performance

24 bit? Why in the world? 8-bit overlays should help a lot. Slowdown seems to come from skin transparency, rather than the skins themselves. With no transparency (opaque skins), there is no slowdown. That being said, rendering an 8-bit skin with 20% transparency should be much less taxing than a 24 bit skin. And honestly, would anyone here object to skins being 8-bit? I mean, how many colors can you really need for a skin anyway? Hell, if an option gets put in, I'd rather it be for 8-bit or monochrome. With the highest level of transparency (what I use), you don't really notice pad colors anyway, it's just a slight visual cue where to press.

Also, I don't think this is an issue of phone power. My phone (g2) is oc'd to 1.5GHz, and I still have major problem with pad transparency slowdown. I'd wager it's more of a code optimization issue. Of course, freshly ported emulator, so no doubt there's plenty to optimize yet, but this seems like a biggie. At least, until I finish building my bt gamepad :) (working on a slide-out gamepad, similar to the slide out keyboards on some phones, but with a hid gamepad). Then I'll be less concerned with the overlays, but no doubt others will be still.
Last edited by LouCipher on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LouCipher
Primary Device: TMobile G2
ROM: CM7 RC1

Postby LouCipher » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Got a question for schtruck. It seems fpse is using a plugin system for sound, video, etc. My question is, what plugin system is being used? Is it the old psemu pro (god, just typing that takes me back!) style plugin system? If so, what would be involved in porting some other GPU plugins to fpse android? Maybe Pete Bernet could come out of his psx emu retirement and port his gpu plugin to android? You know, port the opengl calls to opengl es, get a little texture filtering happening :) Hell, if we wanted to get ridiculous, someone could write a glide wrapper for android and then good ol' lewpy's plugin could be ported :)

rufio
Primary Device: Droid 2
Operating System: Android 2.2

Postby rufio » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:31 pm

i900frenchaddict wrote:
I would bet Fpse for Droid will hugely be improved within a few weeks, you'll be surprised ;)

On the contrary, I probably won't be surprised. With the amount of effort that's been put into it already and the hard work Schtruck's doing everyday I wouldn't be surprised if my phone emulated me waffles and coffee in the morning for breakfast.

HDM
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S
ROM: Froyo

Postby HDM » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Updated skin with detection lines fixed, will now respond correctly, try it with tricks :D

download/file.php?id=696

try to make another version for double shaft smartphones soon

tetsuokenpachi
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S II GT I9100
Operating System: Android 2.3.3

Postby tetsuokenpachi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:55 pm

lolololololololol!
I'd like another galaxy s user to try this: Hide all the buttons and test the speed. Lets say, find a place in any game whete it slows down and hide all the buttons. In landscape mode, of course. Then, set a few buttons to your hardware buttons such as the sound buttons. For me, doing so resulted in exactly the same decrease of performance. Same for the slide mode. I know that transparency means trouble. A 24 bit skin probably (lol) does too but it seems to me that the problem's elsewhere...

vnes1984
Primary Device: HTC Touch Pro 2
Operating System: HTC Touch Pro 2

Postby vnes1984 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:00 pm

i900frenchaddict wrote:openGl ES.....!

OK, the fact is that many users here are Android users who've never had a winMo device running FpseCE. Meaning Schtruck has already made some experiments with openGL plugin for WinMo, not really successful for the moment, so let's say it has already been kind of a "work in progress" for many months

Also, many feature that boost FpseCE to the masterpiece it is today are not implemented for Android yet!

Just an easy example: running with a low power CPU like the one of my good old i900 omnia, using PocketIso compressed games gives a boost up to 20% fps for some games, more compared to the raw iso (as well as perfect music even if the game doesn't run full speed!) :shock:
But so far, Fpse for droid doesn't really support PocketIso compressed files....(no sound or choppy if compressed to mp3)

A frameskip patch, as well as an HD patch allowed to boost tekken 3 from 32 to full speed (50fps on my pal version)=> no patch implemented for Fpse for Droid yet

etc

I would bet Fpse for Droid will hugely be improved within a few weeks, you'll be surprised ;)

Great insight! I look forward to using pocketIso. Also, one you forgot to mention is the option to turn sound off completely to get a performance boost. That worked wonders on my older winmo phone running FPSECE.

Return to “News”