Final Fantasy VIII

If you have a problem with a particular game, post it in here.
Kasser
Primary Device: Galaxy S2
Operating System: Android 4.03

Re: Final Fantasy VIII

Postby Kasser » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm trying to get FF8 to play ball using openGL, which most of you S2 owners would know is frustrating at the best of times. I have it working in fact, but the text looks messed up i.e. completely unreadable. I dabbled with the settings but to go though all possible combinations would take forever (and it did, until 3am in fact!).

Would someone be kind enough to let me know what settings you have, in particular for video, when using in openGL and are there other things to worry about e.g. saving at save points etc.

Without openGL it's pretty good and can live with it, but with oGL it really looked amazing and would love to play like that all the way through.

Thanks in advance!

Treize
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S2 (SGH-i727R)
Operating System: Android 4.04 (ICS)
ROM: Cyanogenmod 9

Postby Treize » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:49 pm

Kasser wrote:I'm trying to get FF8 to play ball using openGL, which most of you S2 owners would know is frustrating at the best of times. I have it working in fact, but the text looks messed up i.e. completely unreadable. I dabbled with the settings but to go though all possible combinations would take forever (and it did, until 3am in fact!).

Would someone be kind enough to let me know what settings you have, in particular for video, when using in openGL and are there other things to worry about e.g. saving at save points etc.

Without openGL it's pretty good and can live with it, but with oGL it really looked amazing and would love to play like that all the way through.

Thanks in advance!

When you say you have it working, do you also mean the battle swoosh as well? Whenever a battle is about to start my FPS tanks to 8 fps for about 10 seconds then its back to normal when in the fight. However I don't have the unreadable text issue. My current settings for video:

Frameskip
Original Screen Size
Force Landscape Orientation
OffScreenDrawing
32Bitsrendering
Special Frame Limiter

I'm still on the first disc and can't get past the video when Squall dances with Rinoa. It freezes just after you bump into the couple next you (I attached a a screenshot). Anyone know if it's something with my settings (previous videos all worked perfectly) or a bad rom? I'm guessing the latter.
Attachments
Screenshot_2012-07-25-16-41-14.png
Screenshot_2012-07-25-16-41-14.png (188.12 KiB) Viewed 17699 times

vanshingaz
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: nexus 7
Operating System: android

Postby vanshingaz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi, i had the exact same problem while playing ff8 on fpse on my nexus 7, the screen was stuck at the exact same position with the ball room dance scene, there was no problem after i used a different image file for disc 1 though, so perhaps u might wanna try that !

Kasser
Primary Device: Galaxy S2
Operating System: Android 4.03

Postby Kasser » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:21 pm

Thanks for the reply Treize, going to try those settings and see what happens.

I do get a bit of the swoosh effect before a battle, but it doesn't look quite right (like it's missing a few frames) but i don't mind it to be honest. I am right at the beginning (Ifrit defeated) so can't help with the stuck scene sorry.

Treize

Postby Treize » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:58 pm

Sorry forgot to post this before, but I did use a different image and was able to pass that scene :)

The only thing keeping this game from being perfect for me is the slow battle swoosh. I really can't play it not using opengl.

Zaroff
Primary Device: Galaxy Note
Operating System: Android 2.3.6

Postby Zaroff » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:41 pm

^ Agreed. It's not just the entering the battle that is slow, but about every invocation of a GF, each time. Pretty tedious after the first two times :roll:

Treize

Postby Treize » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:22 am

Zaroff wrote:^ Agreed. It's not just the entering the battle that is slow, but about every invocation of a GF, each time. Pretty tedious after the first two times :roll:

Hmm, I've never had issues when summoning GFs. What are your settings?

asuralee90
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: ePSXe 1.7.0
Operating System: windows 7
ROM: PS1 games

Postby asuralee90 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:00 am

i got stuck at the b.garden scene too but somehow i got it fixed, but i really dont know what i did.. i saw this forum, http://forums.ngemu.com/showthread.php?t=52119. i followed what he did, by changing your fps by 50 and i played the game again and it works like magic. If you guys remember, Rinoa was actually moving on its own during that scene where she looked outside b.garden right? and after that short movie, she will then join you and i notice that you walk a bit and then slowly you start running. If your party can run in that scene then you can go out without getting stuck anymore. But if your party is still walking after the short movie then you have to load the game and start that scene again until your party can run. That's the only thing i notice when got out of that mess :) I HOPE IT HELPS

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Postby bluezeak » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:06 pm

OpenGL and FF8

please see my earlier post on page 12 in this thread. it explains a lot:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=435&start=110

The settings needed:
    - offscreen drawing
    - 32bits (only if you have garbage on sides of screen - or if you want to test to see if it makes gfx better, which it doesn't for me)

helpful settings
    - special framelimiter
    - framskip

NOT TO USE
    - alpha multipass
    - advanced blending (may work for you, usually causes bad over-contrast / too bright)

tested with no noticable effect
    - special upload detection
    - adjust framebuffer access
    - mask bits

untested
    - frame texture

I encourage others to validate my settings and let me know what you find.

OF NOTE:
When pete was coding the OpenGL plugin he had a special fix designed for FF8 - but it was only for the opening video (and maybe the other videos?). He said this game did a weird thing where it fed a contant stream of frame updates for video and that crushed the plugin. He did a special fix for this game (and other games if they did the same thing) to fix the video / mdec. So, if you've noticed when using OpenGL, the opening in FF8 plays slow (for me around 30 fps). I always thought there was an issue, and there is, but it's specific to the video, and it may just be the opening video. The 'frame texture' option may fix it.

GAME SPECIFIC ISSUES
    - battle swirl - as already noted several times the battle swirl in FF8 (using the openGL plugin) is badly bugged / broken. takes ~8-10 seconds for battle to start.
    - too many character on screen / people moving onto screen - I've noticed the game slows down a lot when people come onto the screen, or if there's too many people on screen. this isn't always a problem.
    - moving around - the games slows down a bit for me when I've moving and the camera has to move - if I'm in an area the camera doesn't have to move, it's no prolbem. This isn't always a problem.
    - outside world - slows down when cmaera is 'behind' you, not too bad when 'above' you.

Overall, openGL seems to be usable if not great - Except the battle swirl issue, which makes using it unfeasible. It's really, really too bad, because FF8 is one of the only ones I haven't played (just the first couple hours). Now that I've played with OpenGL it's almost impossible to go back to SoftGPU. I've been ruined :p.

Again - see my earlier post where I compare the plugin on fpse with using it on my computer. the issue is really with the plugin and the game I think.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=435&start=110

Also, see my general opengl thread - see my signature for link.
Last edited by bluezeak on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

kirby
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: HTC One S
Operating System: Android
ROM: FF8

Postby kirby » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi, I'm getting the same problem as Nivram on my HTC One S - black screen after the playstation logo.
I've ripped the rom from my original copy of the game. I've got FF7 to work with no problems and I've got FF8 to work on my laptop, but just not on android.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Return to “Game-Specific Help”