Chrono Cross

If you have a problem with a particular game, post it in here.
molitar
Enthusiast
Primary Device: Sprint SG3 (Adreno 225)
Operating System: Android 4.0.4
ROM: FreeGS3 v0.1.0

Re: Chrono Cross

Postby molitar » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:14 am

No I mean I think OpenGL in Android just can't do it. I've always had the screen issues with all versions and it has not improved at all.

Playstation load screen is 4 left quarter of screen repeated
Chrono Cross elements load screen same symptom
item load screen only works with offscreendrawing which than erases background so it's only on a black background
Start button pause screen never worked
Save game load screen background is nothing but a yellowish static noise looking screen

I posted the screenshots in the feedback thread.

wilk489
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S3(VZW)
Operating System: 4.0.4
ROM: CleanRom 2.1

Postby wilk489 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:30 am

I was getting 58-60fps using OpenGL(plugin downloaded from online using 0.11.39) last night on my GS3 using boost mode, special frame limiter, frame skip, and putting the draw thread priority to 5. Might be a little over kill, but seemed to be working much better than the last time I used OpenGL. Still getting the double screens sometimes in menus though. SoftGPU is pretty much perfect now and put about 4 hours in the other day with zero issues. Going to continue using OpenGL and see what I find.

One thing I found out is that using the power saving mode on the GS3 will hurt performance. Used Quadrant Standard to do a benchmark test of my phone and it wasn't very good. So I was reading a thread about the app on XDA and saw someone say using the power saving mode will cause it to underclock the GPU. So I turned it off, retested, and got a much better results that put me right in line with the HTC One X.

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Postby bluezeak » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:00 am

molitar - I saw those screenshots. you're not the only one to have that issue - I think that's a adreno 2225 issue. I thought the adreno 225 isseus were mostly resolved - looks like I was wrong. if you go back a long ways in the feedback thread you should see that someone pasted them .. I think it was in feedback tread. might be in the adreno 220 / 225 thread.
I agree with you about opengl - I don't think schtruck has done much to make it better. he has done a lot to make it work for different hardware - he's done a ton to get it to work for mali-400. and, he did release the rest of the special fixes. however, I don't think he's ever tried to make the opengl plugin faster. if he has, we haven't seen it. And, the options don't always do what they're supposed to do. I think a big reason for that is the way he has the 'core' options of the opengl plugin hard coded. the main options that actually control how compatible it is, and how well it performs, are things we can't set. if you want to know what I mean, use epsxe on the pc with the peops opengl plugin. look at my spreadsheet. there are a couple dropdown menus that really control the compatibility / performance of the plugin that we can't change in fpse. so - I tend to agree with you. I think the opengl works about as good as it can without schtruck really chaning it. Not just letting other devices use it, but actually change the plugin itself. Until that happens - it works as good as it can. the best we can do if verify what settings are needed for games to work ('offscreen drawing, alpha multipass, etc), and if it works great. if not ... software. some games work, some, like FF8, are just not usable.

wilk489 - very nice catch. I knew that about the power savings - I should update my opengl thread. my thread is too long now though and I think most people won't read it. (sigh). I get around 52 with frameskip. I'll try boost mode (Inever use that, Idon't know what it does). does the game freeze up on the status screen for you?

finally - this game needs 'offscreen drawing' to work correctly - be sure to use it.
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

wilk489
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S3(VZW)
Operating System: 4.0.4
ROM: CleanRom 2.1

Postby wilk489 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:32 am

bluezeak - Boostmode usually gets me around 10fps. The game still freezes in the status screen with both OpenGL and SoftGPU.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Wow, 10 is huge, like 18%. Ty.

taharo
Primary Device: Nexus 7

Postby taharo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:07 am

bluezeak, do you know if there is any progress on this game or on the Nexus 7 in general? I spent the last few hours trying to get Chrono Cross up and running on my Nexus 7 with FPSe, and I am experiencing the same issues you discussed earlier, i.e., black screen at 'new game' (most of the time), freeze at status screen, etc.

I have Frameskip, OffScreenDrawing, OpenGL (obv), Special frame limiter, Spusync, and drawing thread priority set to 5. No other special options are selected.

The game runs beautifully, graphics are somehow really nice, audio is great... 35-60 fps on average... but those hangups and freezes are haunting.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:17 pm

I dint know if there's been any proteases, I dint think so. The status screen seems like a general emulator bug, it affects all rendering modes. The 'new game' issue may just be OpenGL, not sure.
Thread priority - I've not seen this make a difference. I think schtruck put it in for specific phones/hardware. But then later he optimized it, do I dint know if/when its needed at all now.

For now I think all you can do I'd pay the game without the status screen. If you do, please post if you find any additional issues. If you look back through this thread you may find done other issues ... I haven't looked back through here.

taharo

Postby taharo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:29 pm

bluezeak wrote:I dint know if there's been any proteases, I dint think so. The status screen seems like a general emulator bug, it affects all rendering modes. The 'new game' issue may just be OpenGL, not sure.
Thread priority - I've not seen this make a difference. I think schtruck put it in for specific phones/hardware. But then later he optimized it, do I dint know if/when its needed at all now.

For now I think all you can do I'd pay the game without the status screen. If you do, please post if you find any additional issues. If you look back through this thread you may find done other issues ... I haven't looked back through here.

Will do. Thanks for the update.

Also, after more testing, I find considerable slow down during battle loading screen and during some of the battle sequences. It's a small gripe, but I thought I would mention it.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:38 pm

Yeah, that's pretty normal. Are you saying its slower than in previous versions of FPSE, or just that you've noticed it now? All the square games do that on battle load with OpenGL.

taharo

Postby taharo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:46 pm

bluezeak wrote:Yeah, that's pretty normal. Are you saying its slower than in previous versions of FPSE, or just that you've noticed it now? All the square games do that on battle load with OpenGL.

Just that I've noticed it now. If it's normal--all good.

Return to “Game-Specific Help”