Final Fantasy IX

If you have a problem with a particular game, post it in here.
bongobong
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: asus transformer prime
Operating System: android

Re: Final Fantasy IX

Postby bongobong » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Hey,

So i can't get saves to work. I have made sure to load bios scph1001.bin (although I am not 100 percent it goes through. When i press it, it just goes back to the game and doesn't prompt me or anything saying bios is loaded). No matter what I try the save shows "data corrupted".

Unfortunately even using the fpse savestates is hit and miss so that's not really an option either.

Anything else I can try? Using a transformer prime if that matters.

edit. using opengl as well if that matters.

FreeSpirit
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7
Operating System: Android 3.2
ROM: Stock

Postby FreeSpirit » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi bongobong. Have you made sure you have the same setting for video, audio etc that you had at the time of saving? I had a similiar problem so also make surr to do the in game saves also.

bongobong
Fresh Fish

Postby bongobong » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Hey freespirit. Yah i noticed that could be a problem, but I still have a problem when i keep the same settings for everything. I have spent quite awhile testing things out so i would try saving and then 30 seconds later loading. Sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes the game, other times it goes to a frozen screen or black screen although audio seems to go through.

wish I could get to the first moogle faster so I could test different settings and things faster!

I am starting to think that my bios isn't loading or something though, is there anyway to check? Sometimes I see a popup that says HLE enabled, but when I load the bios I never see any sort of popup.

JohnW
Primary Device: Asus Transformer T300

Postby JohnW » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:45 pm

bongobong wrote:Hey freespirit. Yah i noticed that could be a problem, but I still have a problem when i keep the same settings for everything. I have spent quite awhile testing things out so i would try saving and then 30 seconds later loading. Sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes the game, other times it goes to a frozen screen or black screen although audio seems to go through.

wish I could get to the first moogle faster so I could test different settings and things faster!

I am starting to think that my bios isn't loading or something though, is there anyway to check? Sometimes I see a popup that says HLE enabled, but when I load the bios I never see any sort of popup.

I have seen the same problem with settings not sticking all the time

UltraViolence
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Rooted Kindle Fire

Postby UltraViolence » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:03 am

I was wondering, is everyone using the stock audio plugins? Are there other audio plugins that would work with FPse? I've been playing FFIX on my rooted Kindle Fire. I was running AOKP ICS ROM and had no sound or playability issues at all. I went back to plain stock root in order to be able to easier watch Amazon Prime movies. I can still run FFIX but I do have some audio stuttering, other than that its great. I was wondering if some of the other audio plugins for other emulators would work with FPse? Any ideas?

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Postby bluezeak » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:45 am

Save game issues
Must have bios loaded. The way you describe setting up the bios is about eifht. You just point to the directory it's in and that's it (as far as I know). I'm not sure if a good way to test it. The hle mode message you see means it's not working though or the imes you see it. If you don't have the bios loaded I don't think you can load a save state at all.

Whenever making changes the best thing to do is quit the game then come back in.

SAve states don't work between the softgpu and the OpenGL, but should work with different settings a long as you're using the same plugin (softgpu or OpenGL). However, save states tend to glitch sometimes, and if you're using different settings they're not reliable and I wouldn't use them for testing. I didn't use them for all my testing.

Sound
The spusync option is needed, specifically for mdecs (videos), but but also possibly or other stuff too. There are no other sound plugins available that I know of. too bad as some other plugin are better - but often less compatible and require more configuration.. I think schtruck did right to keep it simple.
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

bongobong
Fresh Fish

Postby bongobong » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:34 pm

FreeSpirit wrote:Hi! Thank you for the info. I will give it a try this evening.

You did forget to most important part imho, some images showing the difference between SW and OpenGL mode. ;)

*edit* to help out, I added them myself just now. Thanks to your settings. Looks good!

Well got my saves to work. I reinstalled the app and i'm pretty sure I wasn't saving my config right after loading a bios :oops: .

Was wondering what all your video settings are though freespirit? My game used to look like your screens but in all my messing around it doesn't look quite as good now (my background has a slight checkerboard look to it). Been playing around to try and get it looking like I used to have it but haven't been able to.

Here are my video settings right now

edit. So I was using an opengl file that I had downloaded. I tried downloading from the web instead of using that one and my graphics are better. Guess I was using an old file.

Bar any problems later on in the game, looks like im good to go!

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:43 am

the only two settings that are off are 'original screen size' and 'anti-aliasing'. try adjusting those two, please let me know what differences it makes for you.

Also, what FPS do you get? I have to run with frameskip, and sometimes that's not enough. That's especially true when it the outside world, specifically when in the mist. Also, do you get the slight slowdowns before battles? And, do you get the battle whirl, or does it just go black for a bit before the fight starts (in the outer world it draws 3 or 4 white rectangles that collapse in on themselves instead of a black screen).

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:33 am

User yooin14 has been having issues with FFIX with OpenGL - yooin14 just got a Samsung Galaxy S III. The FPS with Open GL show 50-60, but the game plays very choppy.

1) are you using the settings I recommended in my original post? I presume you are. Specifically,
    offscreen drawing
    alpha multipass
    special fram limiter
    (also frameskip)

2) what FPS are you getting with
    - no frameskip
    - with frameskip
    - with old frameskip

I'm especially interested in what FPS you get with without frameskip.

3) How is sound quality (do you have spusync on? it needs to be on, and fpse needs to be reset for that change to take effect)

4) How is the quality of the game, aside from FPS?
    - Is there any garbage (see previous posts)?
    - Do the videos play ok (what is FPS)?
    - What is quality of battles - there is one fight scene with the tantalus boss in very biginning if you can't get to other fight scenes.

You may very well have hardware issues. Check [url=http://www.fpsece.net/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3615}my OpenGL page[/url], especially the hardware part. What type of hardware do you have? Specifically, do you have a Mail-400 (Samsung Exynos/Hummingbird) or do you have an Adreno 225 (Qualcomm Snapdragon)? There's been reports of issues with the Adreno 225, and there's been a longstanding fight with the Mail-400. The current release of FPSE had a ton of fixes for it. Maybe there are some unforseen issues it's causing?

bongobong
Fresh Fish

Postby bongobong » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:04 pm

bluezeak wrote:the only two settings that are off are 'original screen size' and 'anti-aliasing'. try adjusting those two, please let me know what differences it makes for you.

Also, what FPS do you get? I have to run with frameskip, and sometimes that's not enough. That's especially true when it the outside world, specifically when in the mist. Also, do you get the slight slowdowns before battles? And, do you get the battle whirl, or does it just go black for a bit before the fight starts (in the outer world it draws 3 or 4 white rectangles that collapse in on themselves instead of a black screen).

Played around with anti aliasing and didn't find it did much to either the graphics or my fps. Same with original screen size (aside from the obvious change of screen). Currently have antialiasing on and original screen size off.

Since starting using the new opengl plugin and overclocking my transformer prime I get 60fps quite constantly. I do bog down outside in the mist (not far in the game so not sure about without yet) to about 45-48fps, but oddly it doesn't feel that slowed down for some reason. I do get the black screen and no whirl when going into battle, but only have a couple very minor slowdowns at the start of battle.

Return to “Game-Specific Help”