FF Tactics iso/config/phone compatibility - not sure which

If you have a problem with a particular game, post it in here.
Dzacatac
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Droid X
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock

FF Tactics iso/config/phone compatibility - not sure which

Postby Dzacatac » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:04 pm

I'll try to keep it as simple yet informative.

Running FPse for Android, PSX bios, openGL obtained through the menus. On a DroidX.

I had not compressed the original .iso file at first. I played around with the settings a bit, and I got the game to work passably. My main map showed the dots for the places I could go, but no map until I selected somewhere to move. Some of my character development screens were translucent, and would occasionally overlap and show unselectable items. All of this was fine, as the game was running smooth enough. However, on the battle screens, I experienced a very low fps (not just the fps - the game itself slowed too). Doing a tackle took about 10-15 seconds, and my fps would drop and stay at single digits. So, after playing for awhile, reviewing some other game tips, I went ahead and compressed the iso with PocketISO.

Now, I started with all the same settings I was running. Before compressing, I ran about 45-60 fps except during the battle "cutscenes" I still get down to single digits. After compressing, I was getting a range of about 15-30fps during normal gameplay. However, I no longer have the translucent screens - they appear exactly as I remember they should be (granted, this is 10+year old memory. I turned off pretty much every thing, and tweaked as many different settings and saw practically no difference in gameplay. But now it runs unbearably slow. Is my phone just not powerful enough to run this emulator like it should be, or is there something I am missing. What settings are you all running?

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Re: FF Tactics iso/config/phone compatibility - not sure whi

Postby bluezeak » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:05 pm

FFT! One of the best gamesever! It's what got me to get FPSE I think, about 6 months ago....

OpenGL with FFT is pretty much unusable, because of the things you mentioned. No map (until you move cursor), runs unbearably slow during many animations during battle, menus have translucent issues. The deal breaker is the animations during battle. The issue is on both PC and FPSE, though on the PC theres a few extra things you can do with the advanced options for FFT. Ultimately, the best thing to do on PC is to use a different plugin - directx or openGL2. At least, that's what my PC needed to do. See the below post - it's about FF8, but it talks about my testing on my pc and how I had same issues on PC as I did if FPSE:
www.fpsece.net/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... &start=113.
Feel free to test for yourself and let me know if you have the same issues. If you search for opengl and final fantasy tactics (google) you should be able to find some posts about people getting it to work on their computer.

I will say this, in my testing there was not a significant difference in graphics between OpenGL and softGPU. The charcters look about the same, the maps look a little better (I thought it would be the reverse). The lighting is a bit better in softgpu because the advanced blending doesn't work in opengl (which brings out the colors better / more accurately - lighting / shading usually).

I did a good post somewhere about my FFT experience with openGL and I think I may have done a screenshot ... as I think about it, I know I did ... let me see if I can find it...
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Re: FF Tactics iso/config/phone compatibility - not sure whi

Postby bluezeak » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:37 pm

well, I can't find the post I'm thinking of. But I do have a screenshot of the difference between the two. if you look closely you'll seen that the characters are about the same. the background is about the same, but in opengl things are a bit 'cleaner' or more precise. In the softgpu it almost loks like the stone walkway is in slight disrepair, but in opnGL it looks well maintained - I don't know which way is actually more accurate. I like the opengl look better - but it's pretty minor. Also, you can see that the lighting in opengl is just a bit off. the building in the back and the walkway are slighly shaded birighter on the left and darker on the right. Advanced blending fixes this, but it's broken in opengl for this game. And the spell effects - I think they are better in opengl, but only a bit better - and totally crush performance much of the time. The biggest differencde is that openGL can show some effects that softgpu can't - namely rain. So, overall, minor enhancement, but the game just breaks.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3615&p=28344&hilit=final+fantasy+tactics&sid=1b967359d60b1f675245bd95956d83f8#p28344
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

Return to “Game-Specific Help”