FPS2ECE?

A place for forum members to chat about whatever they please (within reason... Keep it clean guys).
xmfreak

Re: FPS2ECE?

Postby xmfreak » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:54 pm

Is it so difficult to understand that a mobile phone is not powerful enough for PS2 emulation? Even on personal computers it's still not working too well, you need a dual-core computer and a powerful 3d hardware acceleration card to play 15% games at full speed, and the other 85% are just unplayable. A computer like that is about 100 times more powerful than any of the devices shipping a snapdragon CPU (most powerful mobile phones outthere). You need at least a 10 times more powerful hardware than the system you're trying to emulate.

- PS2 has a 294mhz CPU, 32mb of ram and a 4mb dedicated 3d accelerated graphic card.
- HD2 has a 1ghz snapdragon cpu with 448mb ram (128mb shared for 3d acceleration).

As you can see, the HD2 it's at most 3 times more powerful than PS2 but you must keep in mind that PS2 (like any other console) is designed for playing games, it's not the same playing a game natively on the system designed for such purpose than playing it on a system which is emulating the hardware functions. An emulator, first need to emulate all the system functions and that's a lot of data to process, but then it has to do the job the real system would do. So you realy need a lot of power to do both things. And most of times developers are using reverse engineering because of the lack of technical info about the system to emulate so that means is really difficult to achieve an accurate emulation. That's why you need a lot more powerful machine.

I think this kind of threads are just useless.
My FPSEce WQVGA & WVGA Skin: Click here for download links : )
FF7 video on Xperia (overclock) Click here

Suicidal.Banana
Enthusiast
Primary Device: HTC Sensation
Operating System: Android 4.0.3
ROM: Virtuous Inquisition 4.0.1

Postby Suicidal.Banana » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:39 am

Truth, im actually waiting for support to either open or come to live with faq's etc, then this question can be added there, this isnt the first time (by a long shot) at all that its asked.

Yet, i obviously can see why people would ask, until maybe 2 years ago you couldnt decently emulate a psx on a pc, people have high expectations of schtruck, im guessing thats why they ask it, or when they run into the ps2 specs not realizing we need power to emulate hardware
Im a FpseCE supporter!

Suicidal.Banana
Enthusiast

Postby Suicidal.Banana » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Dont be sorry, theres no harm in asking.
And ye, id suggest this thread to be moved to support (or at least the conclusion)
Im a FpseCE supporter!

CloudStrife86
Global Moderator
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 (i9505)
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2

Postby CloudStrife86 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:00 am

Suicidal.Banana wrote:Dont be sorry, theres no harm in asking.
And ye, id suggest this thread to be moved to support (or at least the conclusion)

This thread does not qualify at all to be in the support section. It has nothing, or at least, very little to do with FpseCE. The purpose of the support section is for tutorials for FpseCE. I'm also not going to open that forum for everyone to post in, because it will be overrun with off-topic/spam/duplicate posts in no time.
Platinum trophies: Uncharted, MW2, Uncharted 2, Resi 5, AC II, Fallout 3, Batman: AA, CoD: WaW, BlOps, FFXIII, BioShock, L.A. Noire, Deus Ex: HR, Uncharted 3, Heavy Rain, Batman: AC, inFAMOUS 2, The Walking Dead, Virtue's Last Reward, Borderlands

Suicidal.Banana
Enthusiast

Postby Suicidal.Banana » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:15 am

I meant for in the faq in support section, but i get what u mean
Im a FpseCE supporter!

Major_Sarcasm
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: HD2
Operating System: 6.5
ROM: Tom HD2 WM6.5 v1.1 Build 21889

Postby Major_Sarcasm » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:04 pm

Just delete it. The thread now serves no purpose. I wasn't going to post in it again, but it keeps resurfacing.

I had been hoping to spur an intelligent discussion about the limitations of cell phone hardware, how effectively a PS2 emulator might run on the most powerful handset to date and what kind of leaps in technology might be required. Instead, I got scorn:

xmfreak wrote:Is it so difficult to understand that a mobile phone is not powerful enough for PS2 emulation?

No, it's not difficult to understand at all. I find your post patronising. I'm not stupid, nor a newbie (despite my post count in this forum). I've been a WM user for a long time and have followed the progress of FPSECE with interest but only recently decided to donate to the cause & to join the forum.
Paid up supporter

i900frenchaddict
Global Moderator
Primary Device: Galaxy Note 4

Postby i900frenchaddict » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:13 pm

I don't think this post should be deleted, because some other ones with the same question would be opened.
Like for the N64

When we see fpsece running full speed, it's normal to think about n64 or ps2, not full speed, but maybe running.

It's possible for the N64, not for the PS2

So let this thread open, at least for a moment, many people will find here the answer to this quite usual (and not a stupid one) question

Jammie_1989
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: 6.5
ROM: No Idea

PS2 emulator on WM

Postby Jammie_1989 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:44 am

Hi Guys

Was just wondering that in the future will you be greating an emulator to play PS2 games on a windows mobile phone. Is it done in the same way as the? and would it be possible. I realise that at the moment hardware probably isn't up to standards of a PS2 for smooth gameplay but as the PS1 emulator is amazing I think a PS2 emulator would be simply amazing.

Great work on FPSece 0.10 loving it. Currently converting Tekken 3 into an ISO can't wait.

Thanks

Jamie

sagam12
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: Windows Mobile 6.5.3
ROM: Cooked Rom

Postby sagam12 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:24 am

im glad some people have hope that there will be a ps2 emulator for windows mobile but I think we are still a long way off that because most pcs and laptops cant even emulate most ps2 games. my cousin has quite a good spec laptop and final fantasy x still runs slow for him lol. omg imagine final fantasy x on your phone that would be the day!!

i900frenchaddict
Global Moderator
Primary Device: Galaxy Note 4

Postby i900frenchaddict » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:00 pm

that's just the reason why I did not delete this post :mrgreen:

Thanks Jammie_1989 for not having created a new one, you took the time to find this one

Just as sagam12 said:
we are still a long way off that because most pcs and laptops cant even emulate most ps2 games

Return to “Off-Topic”